Out of print recommendations

70 posts / 0 new
Last post
jura's picture
jura
Mar 5 2012 14:05
jura wrote:
Hi, any updates on the progress of getting a better version of Incomplete Marx online?

Any news? Don't make me get an interlibrary loan to have it shipped across the continent! smile

Oenomaus
Mar 7 2012 02:13

The Ethnological Notebooks! Like the Incomplete Marx, what few copies exist are highly expensive (in the $300-$400 range), but I'm pretty sure you could get an interlibrary loan from a university library. And it's been out of print for nearly 40 years!

Edit: I just realized this thread is over a year old. Do you think he'll still do it? sad

jura's picture
jura
Mar 7 2012 07:17

Oenomaus, you are probably right. So I asked my library to get both Shortall and The Ethnological Notebooks. If they find it and have it sent over here, I'll scan both.

asilonline3
Mar 7 2012 07:57

I liked Rioters and Citizens

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Mar 7 2012 10:38
Oenomaus wrote:
The Ethnological Notebooks! Like the Incomplete Marx, what few copies exist are highly expensive (in the $300-$400 range), but I'm pretty sure you could get an interlibrary loan from a university library. And it's been out of print for nearly 40 years!

Edit: I just realized this thread is over a year old. Do you think he'll still do it? :(

the German version of the Ethnological Notebooks (Die ethnologischen Exzerpthefte) are also out of but there are many cheap copies floating around of the 1976 paperback version

gypsy
Mar 7 2012 11:54

memoirs of a revolutionist-kropotkin

Oenomaus
Mar 8 2012 08:16
jura wrote:
Oenomaus, you are probably right. So I asked my library to get both Shortall and The Ethnological Notebooks. If they find it and have it sent over here, I'll scan both.

Thank you, jura! It would be pretty nice to finally read The Ethnological Notebooks online (and a possibly better version of the Incomplete Marx)! smile

Entdinglichung wrote:
the German version of the Ethnological Notebooks (Die ethnologischen Exzerpthefte) are also out of but there are many cheap copies floating around of the 1976 paperback version

You're right. I see on amazon.de that there are even 12 used copies of the Notebooks at what look like really cheap prices. Unfortunately, I can’t read very much German yet – I started learning it just recently -- but I’d still really like to have a German copy somehow anyway (perhaps if amazon.de can ship to the US).

Then again, even for those who know German, reading the Notebooks might seem like reading in a different language. Who would have known that Marx had any familiarity with Ojibwa and Sanskrit?

Franklin Rosemont wrote:
A transcription of text exactly as Marx wrote it- the book presents the reader with all the difficulties of Finnegan's Wake and more, with its curious mixture of English, German, French, Latin and Greek, and a smattering of words and phrases from many non-European languages, from Ojibwa to Sanskrit. Cryptic shorthand abbreviations, incomplete and run-on sentences, interpolated exclamations, erudite allusions to classical mythology, passing references to contemporary world affairs, generous doses of slang and vulgarity; irony and invective: All these the volume possesses aplenty, and they are not the ingredients of smooth reading. This is not a work of which it can be said, simply, that it was "not prepared by the author for publication"; indeed, it is very far from being even a "rough draft." Rather it is the raw substance of a work, a private jumble of jottings intended for no other eyes than Marx's own-the spontaneous record of his "conversations" with the authors he was reading, with other authors whom they quoted, and, finally and especially, with himself.
Armchair Anarchist's picture
Armchair Anarchist
Mar 10 2012 18:47

The Child In The City and Welcome, Thinner City: Urban Survival in the 1990s by Colin Ward

jura's picture
jura
Mar 20 2012 16:10

So Krader and Shortall arrived yesterday. It's the first time I've seen Marx's Ethnological Notebooks in their entirety and it's a real mess! I wonder how Marx (let alone Engels) was ever able to write anything based on notes like that. Scanning it will take some time (it's almost 500 pages), so please be patient smile.

As for Shortall, they won't let me take it out of the library, so I'm gonna have to scan or photocopy it there. Again, patience... smile

jura's picture
jura
Mar 27 2012 14:30

I delivar, comrades black bloc

Felton Shortall: The Incomplete Marx
Avebury 1994

Two versions:

- 300 DPI black and white PDF with color cover (~ 57 MB)
The Incomplete Marx (Rapidshare link)
The Incomplete Marx (Zippyshare link)

- 300 DPI black and white PDF with strong compression and color cover (~ 22 MB)
The Incomplete Marx (Rapidshare link)
The Incomplete Marx (Zippyshare link)

If anyone's up for doing a FULL OCR, I can upload the original 400 DPI grayscale TIFFs.

The quality is not perfect, I know. I had to use the scanner at my library which is a BookEye (i.e. it scans the book as it's open, facing upwards) and it was a lot of work. Hopefully it will be useful to someone.

I will delivar The Ethnological Notebooks in two weeks.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Mar 27 2012 15:45

Thanks Jura!

waslax's picture
waslax
Mar 28 2012 05:13

Gracias, Jura!

jura's picture
jura
Mar 28 2012 06:19

BTW, if people want to put it in the libcom library, please do so. I don't know how long the links above will work.

jura's picture
jura
Apr 2 2012 21:11

Just a small update for anyone who's as excited about this as me smile – I have scanned the Ethnological Notebooks, now I just have to crop and convert the files. May take a while, but should be done by Wednesday. So stay tuned smile.

Railyon's picture
Railyon
Apr 2 2012 22:24

To chip in, I have set up my own page for scans: http://implikation.wordpress.com/

I'm mostly scanning German stuff, right now I'm doing Rubin's "Essays" and the Gegenstandpunkt book on Microeconomics.

Books that will follow are Kropotkin's "Eroberung des Brotes", Bucharin's "Ökonomik der Transformationsperiode" and one day, Hilferding's "Finanzkapital" (!). Eventually I'll also do Friedrich Tomberg's "Basis und Überbau: Sozialphilosophische Studien", which is a classical marxist look at base and superstructure, caught my eye as I was personally interested in the subject.

I try to go for the full OCR treatment, so it's going to be a load of work, but I think it's ultimately worth it... chews up a lot of time and takes forever though...

(A minor boo-boo on the only publication I've made yet is that the Umlaute are in a different font because the one I used didn't have them... and I didn't notice until it was too late... embarrassed was more a test project to get a feel for the workflow though...)

So far my FAU friends really dig the project and suggested some FAU and FAUD papers for me to scan. Which I, of course, have put off for now because I'm a lazy slob...

jura's picture
jura
Apr 3 2012 07:25

Nice work, Railyon!

jura's picture
jura
Apr 3 2012 13:35

The Ethnological Notebooks of Karl Marx
Transcribed and edited, with an introduction by L. Krader
IISG Amsterdam
Van Gorcum & Comp, Assen, The Netherlands 1974

Rapidshare link
Zippyshare link

Some other books I think I'll scan: Hal Draper's three-volume Marx-Engels Cyclopedia (The Marx-Engels Chronicle, Register, Glossary), Rodney Hilton (ed.): The Transition from Feudalism to Capitalism, Lucio Colletti: From Rousseau to Lenin, Fred Moseley & Martha Campbell (eds.): New Investigations of Marx's Method, John Holloway & Sol Picciotto (eds.): State and Capital: A Marxist Debate.

If anyone would like to see a particular title (from those above), let me know and I'll prioritize it.

But: next up is a surprise which I will release on May Day. If I make till then, that is. Here is a hint on what it is. smile

Spassmaschine
Apr 3 2012 09:47

Thanks so much for going to the effort of scanning and posting the Notebooks, Jura. I can't imagine how tedious it must have been; it's hugely appreciated!

I'd love to see the Colletti text come online; if you were able to make that happen that would be most superb!

Just to save any wasted effort, did you know State and Capital: A Marxist Debate is already online here?

Android
Apr 3 2012 09:51
jura wrote:
John Holloway & Sol Picciotto (eds.): State and Capital: A Marxist Debate.

I posted a PDF of it in the library on here, recently.

Edit - had not seen the above comment before posting.

jura's picture
jura
Apr 3 2012 13:35

Thanks for the feedback, Spaßmaschine. Colletti it is, then smile. Will probably happen over the next two weeks.

I didn't know about State and Capital, thank you, Android.

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Apr 3 2012 13:43

Out of interest, has there ever been an English edition of Cafiero's Compendium of Capital?

Skraeling
Apr 4 2012 01:10

Just a general question on how to scan in large texts. My problem is that the scanners i have access to only allow scans of up to 30-40 pages and then the printer scanner runs out of memory. I've got the same problem at my workplace where management have placed a limit on the amount of pages photocopiers will scan, and email to your email. I don't have access to fancy equipment at universities.

So how do you get around this? excuse my ignorance, but is there a free programme that can join together many different small pdf files into into one large pdf? help will be appreciated, thx.

x359594's picture
x359594
Apr 4 2012 01:36

The English language edition of Abraham Guillen's The Philosophy of the Urban Guerilla merits re-printing.

jura's picture
jura
Apr 4 2012 06:36
Skraeling wrote:
Just a general question on how to scan in large texts. My problem is that the scanners i have access to only allow scans of up to 30-40 pages and then the printer scanner runs out of memory.

Maybe you could try saving the scanned pages and then restarting the job, which will flush the memory. From what you say that seems the only way.

Anyway, I thought someone may find this useful, so here's my workflow, in a nutshell. I only use open-source tools:

1. Scan the book as 300 DPI grayscale TIFF files, two pages per image. 300 DPI seems to work as a good compromise between quality and speed. It's important not to use lossy compression (i.e. JPEG).

2. Feed the TIFF files to ScanTailor (available for Windows and Linux). This is a program that can fix orientation (i.e. rotate the pages by 90, 180 etc. degrees), split an image with two pages into two images, "deskew" the image (i.e. rotate the contents of an image by a small amount to straighten it), autodetect text content within the image (i.e. remove any unnecessary margins, artifacts, my fingers, smile, etc.), and output the final images in black and white and with increased contrast. You can fiddle with all the settings and it's quite easy to use.

3. Convert the resulting TIFF files into individual PDFs. I use the ImageMagick command-line tools for this (on Linux), but I'm sure there are free alternatives for Windows with a point-and-click interface (IrfanView seems to be able to do this). During the conversion, I add "Group4" compression and reduce the resolution to 200 DPI. That way, the resulting files are much smaller (e.g. 22 MB for a 460 pages PDF) with little to no loss of quality. The command basically looks like this:

convert input.tiff -type Bilevel -compress Group4 -density 200 output.pdf

4. I then join the individual PDF files into one with the PDF toolkit. This is a command-line tool that works in Windows and Linux, but again, there are graphical front-ends to do this. What I do is

pdftk *.pdf cat output Final-Book.pdf

That's basically it. If you don't want to use the command-line in either Windows or Linux, you just have to find some front-end to PDFTK and ImageMagick.

jura's picture
jura
Apr 4 2012 06:49

Here's another useful PDF tool, written in Java, so it basically runs everywhere: jPDF Tweak. It can do all the standard stuff (split, merge, rotate, etc.), but it can also add PDF metadata (author, title, etc.) and PDF bookmarks (the table of contents displayed in a PDF viewer).

Railyon's picture
Railyon
Apr 4 2012 10:39

Interesting workflow jura, gotta check out ScanTailor as I still do all my stuff by hand.

I basically scan stuff like you do, two pages at a time, but I use photoshop to work out the kinks manually, like removing gutter shadows, rotating, etc.

Guess I still do it the hard way. For OCR I use Omnipage Pr. 18, contrary to my expectations that OCR kicks ass (my only prior experience with OCR is with the Japanese language, which doesn't really work that great, it's one giant clusterfuck)

Skraeling
Apr 5 2012 00:09

Thanks heaps for that Jura, you've explained it well for non-techies like me, so I'll give it a go. I didn't know the whole process was so intricate, and involved so many programmes & layers. Makes me appreciate all the time people have put into scanning things. I guess by 'lossy compression' you mean how JPEGs lose resolution each time they are saved, but TIFFs don't? I'll see if the scanners I have access to can do TIFFs.

jura's picture
jura
Apr 5 2012 06:41

No problem, Skraeling. Yes, "lossy compression" basically means loss of a relatively small amount of data from the image (which makes it smaller), which results in a more or less noticeable decrease in quality. It's better not to use compression in the source file, especially if you want to pass it through OCR. Any scanner should be able to do TIFFs, it's more a matter of the software that's used to scan.

jura's picture
jura
Apr 19 2012 21:13

From Rousseau to Lenin
Lucio Colletti
Monthly Review Press, 1974
orig. published in Rome in 1969

Rapidshare link
Zippyshare link

The quality is much worse than with my previous attempts. This book was a pain to scan because of the binding. The upside is that I've done a partial OCR, so most of the book is searchable. It's also much smaller (3.5 MB for 245 pages). I've also added PDF bookmarks which helps navigate the file.

Sorry for the occasional pencil markings. I do horrible things to books sad.

Viel Spaß smile

jura's picture
jura
Apr 19 2012 21:20

Also, I hate to spoil the surprise, but I was planning to do Franklin Rosemont's and David Roediger's Haymarket Scrapbook for May Day. I have the original edition by Charles H. Kerr (with a beautiful and signed dedication by Rosemont, but not to me).

I thought it was out of print, but apparently AK Press have reissued it in March this year. I don't know what effect a digital copy could have on their business, but I sure don't want to get in their way. What do you think? Is it worth doing (when it's available in book-form again) & is it OK to do it?