What was the last film you watched? v3

1093 posts / 0 new
Last post
Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jun 12 2017 17:03
Quote:
Last year, same tournament, it was the World of Warcraft movie

That was the movie I last watched. It was ok, but then again I had extremely low expectations of it. It's the first miss by Duncan Jones (I loved Moon and thought Source Code was pretty interesting and entertaining).

Fleur
Jun 12 2017 17:48

I haven't seen the Pirates movies between the first and this one, so it's conceivable that I've missed some nuance and most of the jokes. And quite frankly I'm sick of Johnny Depp. I guess this is what happens when you're stuck in Disney and Tim Burton world.

I really liked Moon and Source Code, so I had moderate expectations for the Warcraft movie, not least because the visuals on the trailer were stunning. I wasn't expecting a plot or anything like that but even so it managed to fall well beneath my expectations. A friend who plays WoW did tell me it makes some sense if you play the game.

The last proper film I saw was Moonlight, which I thought was outstanding.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jun 12 2017 18:24

I saw the first three Pirates movies; the first was really fun, the second was decent, but the third was a turd. And I agree with being sick of Johnny Depp.

The Warcraft movie was actually based on the RTS Warcraft games and not WoW. IIRC, the story line largely follows that of the RTS games and not the MMO. (/Nerd)

Fleur
Jun 12 2017 18:29

Outnerded by Khawaga, I defer to your superior knowledge of Warcraft games smile

Noa Rodman
Jun 13 2017 20:50

Seven Days in May (1964)

"United States military leaders plot to overthrow the President"

Oliver Stone's JFK.

Interesting scene with Sutherland's exposition (brief claim that Kennedy's appointed directors were powerless in their respective administrations).

potrokin
Jul 13 2017 07:06

The Nice Guys (2016). Made me laugh and kinda, almost had an anti-capitalist message/theme but you'd have to watch the whole film to get what I mean. Set in the 1970's. A professional 'enforcer' (Russell Crowe) crosses paths with a down on his luck, unprofessional private detective (Ryan Gosling) when a girl they are both searching for goes missing. Directed by Shane Black.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jul 10 2017 21:47

The Edge of Seventeen. Not an original movie by any means (I've seen plenty of versions of the same story of socially anxious teenager figuring out the world), but well executed and good to great acting.

Also watched Blame!, which is an adaptation of the mange by the same name. Decent enough adaptation, but couldn't really live up to the source material.

potrokin
Jul 13 2017 07:07

The Duellists (1977). Armand d'Hubert (Keith Carradine) and Gabriel Féraud (Harvey Keitel) are French soldiers under Napoleon. A trivial quarrel between d'Hubert and Féraud escalates into a lifelong grudge. Directed by Ridley Scott.

potrokin
Jul 13 2017 07:04

Barry Lyndon (1975) How does an Irish lad without prospects become part of 18th-century English nobility? For Barry Lyndon (Ryan O'Neal) the answer is: any way he can! Directed by Stanley Kubrick and today considered one of his finest films.

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Jul 19 2017 04:26

Steam Boy (2004) I was surprised after watching how little impression it made here but apparently that was because it was given a very limited release, so not many people saw it.

Its an animated film set in 19th century Britain (Manchester and London) during the industrial revolution. The plot is entirely about how capitalism and the state pervert scientific advancement and often only care about using technology for weapons and war sales. A family of scientists have discovered a new way to harness steam, meaning they've discovered unlimited energy but the company funding their research decides the best way to get a return on investment is to us it to power steam tanks and the like. They're opposed by the British Empire, but they're only getting involved because the company is selling to rival empires and they also want this new tech for themselves.

It looks fantastic, and the dubbing is impressive, characters from Manchester sound like their from Manchester and they even use 19th century appropriate slang and expressions. You also get to hear Patrick Stewart explain how and why war is manufactured by capitalists to increase share holder dividends. The credit sequence is surprisingly bleak though.

potrokin
Jul 19 2017 09:53
Reddebrek wrote:
Steam Boy (2004) I was surprised after watching how little impression it made here but apparently that was because it was given a very limited release, so not many people saw it.

Its an animated film set in 19th century Britain (Manchester and London) during the industrial revolution. The plot is entirely about how capitalism and the state pervert scientific advancement and often only care about using technology for weapons and war sales. A family of scientists have discovered a new way to harness steam, meaning they've discovered unlimited energy but the company funding their research decides the best way to get a return on investment is to us it to power steam tanks and the like. They're opposed by the British Empire, but they're only getting involved because the company is selling to rival empires and they also want this new tech for themselves.

It looks fantastic, and the dubbing is impressive, characters from Manchester sound like their from Manchester and they even use 19th century appropriate slang and expressions. You also get to hear Patrick Stewart explain how and why war is manufactured by capitalists to increase share holder dividends. The credit sequence is surprisingly bleak though.

That sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out. Sounds like the sort of thing that should be shown to people as part of their education.

potrokin
Jul 20 2017 08:26

The Dark Crystal (1982). Directed by Jim Henson and Frank Oz. Jen (Stephen Garlick), raised by the noble race called the Mystics, has been told that he is the last survivor of his own race, the Gelflings. He sets out to try to find a shard of the dark crystal, a powerful gem that once provided balance to the universe. After the crystal was broken, the evil Skeksis used sinister means to gain control. Jen believes that he can repair the dark crystal and bring peace back to the world, if he can only find the remaining shard.

I enjoyed it. I thought it a better film than the Labyrinth, I don't know if it was because of the cliffhanger at the end or just the fact that it was the first time I've seen this film- where as I' saw the Labyrinth quite a few times when I was a kid.. I think perhaps there is more to this film. The animatronics were groundbreaking. The Skeksis kinda reminded me of Theresa May, and not just in the way they behaved.