What was the last film you watched? v3

1096 posts / 0 new
Last post
jef costello's picture
jef costello
Aug 17 2017 21:55
Reddebrek wrote:
Pulp Fiction, I think cultural osmosis didn't do this any favours I found I was predicting most of what would happen next thanks to all the references, parodies and homages I've seen over the years. I was surprised how much of what I thought was random bits came from this film though.

I often get that when watching classic films and recognising the simpsons' parodies. I remember watching one film (cn't remember which one now) and realising that I had seen parodies in probably half a dozen shows without knowing where it originateD.

I thought I had put people off fist fight smile

City of Tiny Lights : attempt at a UK noir but the plot is a little convoluted as well as obvious. There are also a lot of bits that don't really make sense except to advance the plot. The camera work at times seems like the director is over-excited and trying to try new things (not his first film, which I thught might be the reason) for example in one scene he throws in some rather pointless jump cuts. The voiceover resurfaces for no reason in the middle of the film which is very intrusive and then again for the very cheesy ending (where Pork Pie from Desmonds is there!). The film isn't bad but it feels like it is trying too hard to be a noir film without quite understanding why people like them In general a bit of a wasted opportunity in spite of some nice moments.

petey
Aug 17 2017 21:57

seen on a double bill
https://letterboxd.com/film/christine-1987/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_(1989_film)

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Aug 18 2017 15:10

Spiderman: Homecoming. I like my MCU, but this one was disappointing. Wish there was more of the high school stuff than Spidey stuff.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Aug 18 2017 17:41

Dunkirk. While mostly avoiding the big hero stories, aside from Tom Hardy, and being quite well written it was still a story of heroism and that doesn't sit well. It's been a while since I watched a war film and I am not sure I can really watch them. When you see the german planes strafing helpless soldiers on the beach you are angry, but the scale of this film just reminds me of the stupidity of the meat grinder of the war, even if they do give the (heroic) dad a statement along the lines of "it's men my age sending boys out to fight the war so I have to do my bit" it isn't enough.

So on the whole a good film for what it is, I just hadn't realised to what point I can no longer stand war.

potrokin
Aug 19 2017 15:08

No Country For Old Men. I first saw this film several years ago and despite pretty much knowing most of what happened I enjoyed it even more this time around, don't know why either.

petey
Aug 19 2017 16:40

double bill in a theater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRd3Ro1L9zA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEpJn6F3cso

zugzwang
Aug 21 2017 23:38
jef costello wrote:
Dunkirk. While mostly avoiding the big hero stories, aside from Tom Hardy, and being quite well written it was still a story of heroism and that doesn't sit well. It's been a while since I watched a war film and I am not sure I can really watch them. When you see the german planes strafing helpless soldiers on the beach you are angry, but the scale of this film just reminds me of the stupidity of the meat grinder of the war, even if they do give the (heroic) dad a statement along the lines of "it's men my age sending boys out to fight the war so I have to do my bit" it isn't enough.

So on the whole a good film for what it is, I just hadn't realised to what point I can no longer stand war.

I saw "Operation Dunkirk" and didn't realize it was the wrong movie until an hour in... It was disappointing.

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Aug 25 2017 20:12

Just watched ‘Paris, Texas’ (1984). Forgotten just how great a movie it is. This is the trailer with Ry Cooder’s music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic_s0DDNoB8

Noa Rodman
Aug 31 2017 23:04

Mean Girls (2004), based on Rosalind Wiseman's (2002) book Queen Bees and Wannabees: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends and Other Realities of Adolescence (a 3rd edition appeared in 2016). Scenes of the movie are known to provide material for unfunny jokes about Trotskyist groups.

When the movie tries to don a sociological/anthropological hat, it turns to a cheap comparison with the animal kingdom. But the schoolyard dynamic is a valid subject of study in its own right, even aside from more "deeper" theorising as e.g. the "theory" of rackets, or Tiqqun's Preliminary Materials for a Theory of the Young-Girl (1999).

The notion of popularity/attention/fame/respect often is invoked to explain people's acts. For example the behaviour of bullying is explained by the laughter which the bully seeks to elicit from the crowd. Why do children start smoking? - to gain acceptance by their friends. Etc.

It could be just classified under conformism. But even if you say that you do not care about popularity, your anti-conformism still is marked by it.

And caring what your community/group (not the state) thinks about you is normal, in the sense that it indicates what is in the common ("moral") interest, otherwise you'd be a psycho.

cactus9
Sep 6 2017 10:39

Patti Cake$. Just see it, it's amazing and brilliant.

potrokin
Sep 15 2017 09:07

The Fantastic Mr. Fox. Saw it on Netflix. It's a kids film obviously, but I really enjoyed it. I loved Roald Dahl books as a kid and this didn't disappoint me.

A friend of mine saw the remake of Stephen King's It the other day and said that it is very good, more true to the book and so obviously better than the first film. It also appears that there is going to be a a sequel because they didn't get to the end and I believe the film was about three hours.

twinshia_BKNN's picture
twinshia_BKNN
Sep 10 2017 22:07

A Man Asleep. I have also read the novel. Great film, but the novel is better, especially considering the main point of interest of the film is the narration.

potrokin
Sep 14 2017 12:35

Libertarias. A film about anarchist women during the spanish civil war, written and directed by Vicente Arande.. I have mixed views on this film and found it's ending depressing (though ofcourse that reflects the reality of the end of the war and it's outcome). I thought the seance scene was silly and unnecessary and the bit where an anarchist guy grabs and forcibly kisses the main character was creepy. Also, the guy who played Durruti looked nothing like him. Other than that it was a good film.

cactus9
Sep 18 2017 23:00

The Beguiled. Quite good. It picks up in the second half.

potrokin
Sep 21 2017 08:56

Is that a remake you watched, or the original?