American anarchist publications 1920s-1950s

Submitted by Juan Conatz on February 13, 2016

Starting this thread to track progress on tracking down and posting either articles or whole issues of English-language anarchist publications produced in the U.S. from the 1920s-1950s.

This became an interest of mine from reading Andrew Cornell's dissertation '"For a World Without Oppressors:” U.S. Anarchism from the Palmer Raids to the Sixties', which in my opinion, is the best history of American anarchism that exists. His article for Journal for the Study of Radicalism, 'A new anarchism emerges, 1940–1954', is also very useful in seeing the trajectory American anarchism made during World War II and the 1950s.

Also of interest for this era is Sam Dolgoff's Fragments and Paul Avrich's Anarchist voices. An oral history of anarchism in America, which is not available online, but a review of it is available on libcom.

After reading Cornell's stuff, I began trying to track down some of the publications he mentions.

7/28/14-5/17/15: I've found a couple issues of Man! on the internet, as well as a pamphlet they produced.

5/3/15: Added a short memoir by Clara Freedman Solomon of anarchist activities during The Great Depression and WW2 in NY. Also added "The right to self-determination" by Joseph J. Cohen, which is from a book or pamphlet called The World Scene From The Libertarian Point Of View. Added a short biography of Abe Bluestein.

5/23/15-6/6/15: Curiously, in the online archives of the National Library of Austrlia, I found a PDF of Greenwood Publishing Company's reprinting of the entire run of Vanguard. I split it up into individual issues and posted them here.

5/25/15: Added a short autobiography of Sidney Solomon.

6/1/15: Added a 1972 oral history from Sam Dolgoff.

6/8/15: Added a PDF I was sent of Hippolyte Havel's "What's anarchism?".

6/9/15: Added a history of Man! and the group that produced it.

6/12/15: Added Marcus Graham's "Marxism and a free society", which Zabalaza had turned into a pamphlet. Also added the Libertarian League's 'What We Stand For".

6/13/15: Took the parts from Andrew Cornell's dissertation that were about Vanguard and edited them into a standalone history. Also added an article called "Stalinism without Stalin" from the Libertarian League's publication, Views & Comments.

6/27/15: A librarian named redkat scanned 7 issues of The Road to Freedom and emailed them to me.

7/5/15: A professor I know through Facebook sent me PDFs of Open Vistas.

2/15/16: Added a handbill issued by American Anarchist Federated Commune Soviets, the group that produced the Anarchist Soviet Bulletin

Karetelnik

8 years 2 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Karetelnik on February 13, 2016

I take it you're restricting yourself to publications in English? Because the periodical literature in Yiddish and Russian (hundreds of issues) is very rich.

Juan Conatz

8 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Juan Conatz on February 14, 2016

David Wieck's contribution to The World Scene from the Libertarian Point of View is reproduced here: https://robertgraham.wordpress.com/2014/02/23/david-wieck-anarchism-anarchy-anarchists-1951/

ABAA has a couple of issues of Man! for sale.

Greenwood Publishing Co. reproduced at least some of Man! in 1970.

Haven't found much on the Anarchist Soviet Bulletin yet, but did find a number of images online from it.

Juan Conatz

8 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Juan Conatz on February 14, 2016

Karetelnik

I take it you're restricting yourself to publications in English? Because the periodical literature in Yiddish and Russian (hundreds of issues) is very rich.

Correct. I can't read neither Yiddish or Russian, so tracking that stuff down would be more of a task and probably also less tangible importance personally since I don't even know a single person that speaks either.

syndicalist

8 years 2 months ago

Submitted by syndicalist on February 14, 2016

I have a complete pamphlet of the postwar pamphlet libertarian world
Also many copies of libertarian league pub. Maybe I can scan and email to Juan
Some of these

Kate Sharpley

8 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Kate Sharpley on February 14, 2016

We have at least one piece from the Anarchist Soviet Bulletin:
Two Letters from Exiled Comrades [Anarchists deported on the Buford during the Red Scare] by Ethel Bernstein and Arthur Katzes From: Anarchist Soviet Bulletin April 1920. Up at: http://www.katesharpleylibrary.net/nzs8rv

Juan Conatz

8 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Juan Conatz on February 15, 2016

A 1920 report of the New York senate on radicalism mentions the Anarchist Soviet Bulletin.

According to Perilous Times: Free Speech in Wartime from the Sedition Act of 1798 to the War on Terrorism by Geoffrey R. Stone, Mollie Steimer was involved in producing ASB and got convicted of disorderly conduct for distributing it.

ASB seemed to have been a publication that was occupied with preaching immediate social revolution, and spreading news of repression. Marcus Graham, who later went on to produce Man!, was the editor, and like Steimer, spent time imprisoned for distributing it. According to government estimates, ASB had a circulation of about 2,000.

Juan Conatz

8 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Juan Conatz on February 16, 2016

Found a handbill by the group that put out ASB and added it to the library. I'm just gonna update the first post as I add stuff. Their publication seemed to have been a minor national controversy because it was advocating immediate social revolution. I've come across a couple of Red Scare type articles from newspapers at the time, on the content of the paper.

The group that put out ASB was called American Anarchist Federated Commune Soviets. In the couple of years right after the Russian Revolution, it seems the words 'council' or 'soviet' was in vogue with the American far left. I've gone over some of those in a review of Theodore Draper's The Roots of American Communism. It seems doubtful if any of these were 'soviets' or 'councils' in the way that we understand the term. So, I guess it's kind of amusing to me that people were using exaggerated terms to describe their efforts, similar to how 'occupy' and 'general strike' have been used recently.

ASB eventually became Free Society, which was edited by Marcus Graham and Hippolyte Havel, according to Anarchist Periodicals in English Published in the United States (1833-1955). Free Society was put out by 'Anarchist Communist Groups of United States and Canada', which I can't find much information on, although apparently the Tamiment Library has some material by them.

Juan Conatz

8 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Juan Conatz on February 17, 2016

Found some letters by Senex (a.k.a. Mark Schmidt), who wrote for Vanguard and other related publications. Also, it seems he had pieces in the books, Patterns of Anarchy; a collection of writings on the anarchist tradition and Trotsky and his critics. With the latter, his chapter is called 'Christian Stalinism and Trotskyism', which sounds odd/interesting. Can't find this stuff online, though.

Juan Conatz

8 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Juan Conatz on February 18, 2016

Looks like Bolerium Books in San Francisco has 12 issues of Man! for $225.

Juan Conatz

7 years 8 months ago

Submitted by Juan Conatz on July 25, 2016

Totally forgot about this thread. Will have to update what I've added, as it's been quite a lot since the beginning of this year.