Neukölln school kids strike (German translation help)

Submitted by Steven. on September 26, 2017

On Google image search I found this photo which looks like a strike of schoolchildren in Berlin in 1930:

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/288652657342085777/

can anyone translate the German on the banner and the sign around the kids neck? Does anyone know more about this? Thanks in advance for any assistance

no1

6 years 7 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by no1 on September 26, 2017

Working parents (or Working class parents ) : support the school strike in neukölln!

Khawaga

6 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on September 26, 2017

Yup, that's how I would translate it as well. I can't even make out what letters are on the sign, so no idea what it says.

meinberg

6 years 7 months ago

Submitted by meinberg on September 26, 2017

Khawaga

I can't even make out what letters are on the sign, so no idea what it says.

If I decode it correctly it says:

"Wegen Sparmaßnahmen des Magistrats streiken die ? und Gemeindeschüler"

Roughly translated maybe "city school students and ? strike because of the austerity measures of the city council"

Edit: oh I'm wrong, it's more like
"Wegen Sparmaßnahmen des Magistrats streiken die #1. und #2. Gemeindeschule"

So maybe "city school #1 and #2 strike because of the austerity measures of the city council"

Whereas #1, #2, are the names of two city schools in Neukölln (as in 32. Gemeindeschule)

Khawaga

6 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on September 26, 2017

Seems about right, but IIRC Gemeinde refers to municipality as in a smaller unit of governance than a city? So Gemeindeschule would be "municipal school" or something like that? Then again, my German is not the best...

Steven.

6 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on September 26, 2017

Thanks very much guys. When I saw it I was basically wondering whether it was a good thing, or whether maybe they were fascists! But definitely a good thing then. If anyone who has access to local papers in Berlin can find out the date this happened, as well as any other info like what schools were involved it would be much appreciated!

meinberg

6 years 7 months ago

Submitted by meinberg on September 27, 2017

Khawaga

Seems about right, but IIRC Gemeinde refers to municipality as in a smaller unit of governance than a city? So Gemeindeschule would be "municipal school" or something like that? Then again, my German is not the best...

I guess your German is better than my English...

As for Gemeinde, yes you are right it means municipality andi guess I should have translated it that way, but the problem is,. That for small cities Gemeinde is a bigger unit of governance , but for the big cities it is the same as the city. Today the Gemeinde Berlin is the same as the Land Berlin, but I have no idea if that was the case in 1930.

Entdinglichung

6 years 7 months ago

Submitted by Entdinglichung on September 27, 2017

most likely by the KPD: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ndXKHVIOASIC&pg=PA117&lpg=PA117&dq=schulstreik+neukoelln+1930&source=bl&ots=jOEqufxOJH&sig=dLgF3F9A_i2WtZhmYYUhhMqQOyY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJkPid-sTWAhUDY1AKHRgtCuAQ6AEINTAC#v=onepage&q=schulstreik%20neukoelln%201930&f=false