The Walthamstow Tram Chase / The Tottenham Outrage 1909

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Nov 23 2007 19:29
The Walthamstow Tram Chase / The Tottenham Outrage 1909

I'm doing some research in dull Walthamstow at the moment, I was grabbing some photos from a book when I came across this chapter and thought I would share...

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Nov 23 2007 19:53

huh wow that's crazy shit!

Still like the Sydney St guys I bet they were Nihilists really.

jambo1's picture
jambo1
Nov 23 2007 20:01

i think anarchist was a catch all description of a lot of east european refugees at that time. and you could be right nihilists is a good possibility. poor and starving might also come into it!! crazy stuff tho.

Alf's picture
Alf
Nov 24 2007 14:30

Amazing photos. But how dare you call Walthamstow dull!

Carousel
Nov 24 2007 15:15

They show the way. The first task of any organisation is to secure capital, only then will it be able to grow beyond a talking shop.

Alf's picture
Alf
Nov 24 2007 20:15

Excuse me? Are you advocating wage heists as a way of building a revolutionary organisation?

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Nov 24 2007 21:04

Well your heroes the Bolsheviks robbed plenty of banks, organised by Lenin's protege, the 'poet' Stalin.

Quote:
When, 10 years after these works were published, he was a top Bolshevik, a political god-father running a gang of hitmen and bank robbers to fund Lenin's faction, he was still proud of his poetry. An unpublished memoir from the 1905 revolution recalls a pistol-toting Bolshevik boss leading packhorses bearing guns and stolen banknotes over the mountains, cheerfully declaiming his own poems to his companions.

By 1907, he was looking to pull off a spectacular bank robbery, but he needed an "inside man". In the streets of Tiflis, he bumped into an old schoolfriend, now working as an accountant in the state bank, who declared himself a passionate fan of Soselo's poems, particularly the one dedicated to Eristavi. Stalin charmed and cultivated this admirer until he agreed to reveal the arrival by stagecoach of a million roubles. Using this information, Stalin set up the Tiflis bank robbery in which 40 people were killed and a huge sum stolen for Lenin. This secured Stalin's reputation with Lenin, who declared he was "exactly the type I need". Only in Georgia, where poetry was read passionately, would a banker risk his life and career to arrange a bloody bank robbery because he loved a man's poetry.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/poetry/features/0,,2083062,00.html#article_continue

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Nov 25 2007 12:30

cool stories rkn and ret.

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Nov 25 2007 12:40

More on the same thing with different names....
The Totenham Outrage

Quote:
An incident occurred on 23rd January 1909, which was at the time known as the Tottenham Outrage. Two armed robbers of Russian descent held-up the wages clerk of a Rubber Works in Chesnut Rd. They made their getaway via Tottenham Hale and at the Ferry Boat Inn hijacked a Walthamstow Corporation Tramcar, hotly pursued by the police on another tram. The hijacked tram was stopped but the robbers continued their flight on foot. Being eventually cornered by the police, they shot themselves to evade capture. Four people including a boy of ten were killed (shot dead) and fourteen were wounded during the chase. The incident was later the subject of a Silent Film.

http://www.999tottenham.com/

http://www.met.police.uk/history/tottenham_outrage.htm
http://www.movinghere.org.uk/search/..%5Cdeliveryfiles%5CHMA%5Cldbcm2002.41%5C0%5C1.pdf - photos

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Nov 25 2007 12:52

The tottenham outrage sounds familiar, I think I saw a pamphlet about it at the bookfair. Although I could be confusing that with the IWW pamphlet I bought about Tottenham (in Australia)

David in Atlanta
Nov 25 2007 14:24

Stalin as poet. That's a side of the man I didn't know about. Kinda reverses Shelley's "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the World"

Carousel
Nov 25 2007 16:24
Quote:
Excuse me? Are you advocating wage heists as a way of building a revolutionary organisation?

The function of the organisation is to accumulate. It's all a wage heist in the final analysis, it’s just a question of the number of levels of indirection placed between taking action and stealing money.

Alf's picture
Alf
Nov 25 2007 19:11

Ret: the Bolshevik policy of bank heists was a complete fiasco and provides plenty of arguments why revolutionary organisations should in no circumstances get involved in such activities. It's a sure route to turning the organisation into a corrupt gang and it's hardly accidental that Stalin was so adept at this kind of activity. But Lenin also has to share the blame for sanctioning these actions.

Carousel: "The function of the organisation is to accumulate". Are you being ironic?

Carousel
Nov 25 2007 23:33

Nope. All achievement is a proxy for accumulation of some sort. Some people don't have a price, but most do. And it's not because they've been morally corrupted by capitalism either, it's because they know what's good for 'em.

Leutha
Dec 2 2007 12:19

I think the image of the so-called revolutionary holding a gun to a worker's head catches the gist of their class position. I am not sure from the account how the 10 year old boy was killed. Was this one of the small boys held hostage by Jacob perhaps? Goes to show that Green Anarchist was going over old turf when they advocated murdering proletarians on the public transport system!

Thanks for putting it up.

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Dec 2 2007 13:28

How the fuck does one off 40 people in a bank job?

Stalin you nutter.

Battlescarred
Dec 3 2007 10:52

Unfortunately these people REALLY did call themselves anarchists sad
More later.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 3 2007 11:06
Battlescarred wrote:
More later.

look forward to it, from our human wikipedia!

Battlescarred
Dec 3 2007 14:11

Jacob was acrtually Jakob Lepidus a member of he Latvian anarchist communist group Liesma (Flame) along with people involved in Sidney Street. His brother Vladimir Lepidus ( someimes written as Lapidus) had died in violent circumstances in Paris. Known under the nom de guerre of Nikolai Striga (or Stryga) he was born in Minsk (now in Belarus) to a wealthy Jewish family in 1885 He had joined the Social Democrats but was soon influenced by the ideas of Jan Machajsky. In Odessa he joined a miixed group of Makhaevists (followers of Machajsky) and anarchists called the Implacables (Ne- primirimye) in 1903 0r 1904. He engaged in terrorist activities in Bialystock -where he joined the Black Flag (Tchernoe znamia) group) which advocated violent action against the ruling class -and Warsaw.
With the clampdown on the Black Flag he escaped to Paris. Whilst out in the Bois de Vincennes on May 3rd 1906 one of the bombs he was carrying exploded. He took an hour to die in great agony.
3 years later his brother died in a no less violent way.

Battlescarred
Dec 3 2007 14:19

Read what the idiot Victor Serge said about Tottenham here
http://www.marxists.org/archive/serge/1909/02/anarchist-bandits.htm

raw
Jan 19 2009 16:15

Was actually googling to find out when the documentary film by Si Mitchell (Crowds Bites Wolf...etc) is out. Its a documentary of the Tottenham Outrage and the film is out in the next week.

During the chase a 2 year old boy was killed by gunfire from the robbers, many more people were injured thru gunshot.

Dan the Red
Jan 23 2009 10:08

On that note, Si Mitchell will be apparently having a walk along the route the men in question took, all in honour of the Outrage's centenary. There will be a discussion throughout. 11am, Friday 23rd January, on the corner of Chesnut Road and Tottenham High Road.

All from here.

Sounds interesting.