**Welcome! Say hello and introduce yourself on this thread**

1632 posts / 0 new
Last post
genofunk
Offline
Joined: 5-03-11
Mar 5 2011 16:23
gypsytimetraveller wrote:
genofunk wrote:
Hey people. I live in wisconsin, I work at goodwill (it's a thrift store if you don't know). I make enough money to get by. I don't like the idea of capitalism or gov. I got married last year. My wife is a great poet and is currently trying to publish her book. When I'm not working or hanging out with my wife, I like playing and making video games. I'm working on a game now with a lot of anarchic themes about 3 kids whose parents are sent to an immigration detention center and have to learn how to survive on their own.

I guess I'm looking for adventurous people with common ideologies to chat with too.

Don't know if your video game would get any sponsors/backers though with that theme.

It's going to be free and open source.

gypsy
Offline
Joined: 20-09-09
Mar 5 2011 22:34
genofunk wrote:
gypsytimetraveller wrote:
genofunk wrote:
Hey people. I live in wisconsin, I work at goodwill (it's a thrift store if you don't know). I make enough money to get by. I don't like the idea of capitalism or gov. I got married last year. My wife is a great poet and is currently trying to publish her book. When I'm not working or hanging out with my wife, I like playing and making video games. I'm working on a game now with a lot of anarchic themes about 3 kids whose parents are sent to an immigration detention center and have to learn how to survive on their own.

I guess I'm looking for adventurous people with common ideologies to chat with too.

Don't know if your video game would get any sponsors/backers though with that theme.

It's going to be free and open source.

Cool. Would prefer a game based around trying to break outta the detention centre and setting about screws with tin cups and shit.

somethingcreative's picture
somethingcreative
Offline
Joined: 5-03-11
Mar 6 2011 05:37

Hi, I live in Cleveland, OH and am fed up with how horrible everything in the world seems. I have an insatiable hunger for knowledge and my stumbling seems to have landed me here. From what I've read so far I'd consider myself an Anrarcho-Communist but I'm always interested in learning more and debating potential inconsistencies/problems with a theory. I have lurked on many forums and found the community here to be welcoming enough give commenting a shot.
red n black star

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Offline
Joined: 26-09-03
Mar 6 2011 14:44

Welcome somethingcreative. Hope you find what your looking for.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Offline
Joined: 5-10-07
Mar 20 2011 00:44
Quote:
I like playing and making video games. I'm working on a game now with a lot of anarchic themes about 3 kids whose parents are sent to an immigration detention center and have to learn how to survive on their own.

I guess I'm looking for adventurous people with common ideologies to chat with too.
.

Anarchist personals anyone?

Malva's picture
Malva
Offline
Joined: 22-03-11
Mar 25 2011 19:23

Hi,

I live in Paris and have spent the past two and a half years researching the work of Raoul Vaneigem for a phd thesis and eventually a book. I'm obviously a great believer in the Situationist International. At the moment I just want to get my thesis done and then I want to translate the texts I have found from archival research into English. If I ever get any chance, I also want to set up a small publishing company to propagate Situationist and radical texts.

I have found this site invaluably informative on aspects of theory and I'd quite like to contribute. Although, ironically I find the impersonality of the internet makes me more shy than talking to actual human beings face to face.

If anyone has any thoughts about aspects of the SI and Vaneigem that are not talked about enough in academic literature I'd be glad to hear about it. At the moment I am writing about Vaneigem's working-class background, for example.

So hello and I look forward to talking to people.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Mar 25 2011 20:06

Hi, and welcome to the site! I know Vaneigem was a big influence on me early on in my political development.

We would be extremely keen to host online any texts which you translate into English - so please consider posting them in our library. Just click submit content - library to do so, and feel free to ask us if you have any problems. I'm sure we would also be happy to host your thesis when it is done!

Malva's picture
Malva
Offline
Joined: 22-03-11
Mar 26 2011 08:34

Cool, thanks for the welcome. Hopefully I will get this thesis done by the end of the year and when I do I shall definitely post it online.

Glasgow Anarchy
Offline
Joined: 28-03-11
Mar 28 2011 21:47

Hello everyone.

I am from Glasgow in Scotland and I am 16 years old. I have recently became interested in Anarchism and hope to use this forum as a place to learn and debate with comrades.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Mar 29 2011 08:39

Welcome! There is an active Anarchist Federation group in Glasgow, and possibly a Solidarity Federation group as well, I would recommend dropping them a line about getting involved.

Atanvarno's picture
Atanvarno
Offline
Joined: 28-03-11
Mar 29 2011 21:13

I'm an anarchist from Dundee in Scotland, presently on hiatus from studying Archaeology and Anthropology down south. I'm interested in joining the Anarchist Federation or Solidarity Federation. I've been keen to learn and debate about anarchist theory since I started being exposed to the idea that the state is innately oppressive in Social Anthropology lectures. I've developed an interest in pariticipating in more direct action after seeing it at some of the London demos in opposition to the impotence of the protesters the media condescendingly describe as 'proper' - I feel like I'm idly standing by when I have a duty to at least try to do something, and I'm sick of letting selfish self-preservation get in the way of my fulfilling that duty.

Auto's picture
Auto
Offline
Joined: 12-04-09
Mar 29 2011 21:42
Atanvarno wrote:
I'm an anarchist from Dundee in Scotland, presently on hiatus from studying Archaeology and Anthropology down south. I'm interested in joining the Anarchist Federation or Solidarity Federation. I've been keen to learn and debate about anarchist theory since I started being exposed to the idea that the state is innately oppressive in Social Anthropology lectures. I've developed an interest in pariticipating in more direct action after seeing it at some of the London demos in opposition to the impotence of the protesters the media condescendingly describe as 'proper' - I feel like I'm idly standing by when I have a duty to at least try to do something, and I'm sick of letting selfish self-preservation get in the way of my fulfilling that duty.

Another Anarcho Archaeologist! The lecture theatres must be full of them. wink

I studied Archaeology myself though I'm long graduated now. Also a Solidarity Federation member. Welcome to Libcom!

Whereabouts do you study, if you don't mind me asking?

Mouzone
Offline
Joined: 30-03-11
Mar 30 2011 10:41

Hello there,

From UK London but currently living in Sydney...

Currently unemployed and have no desire to ever to work for a boss/corporation/company again after being made redundant three times in the IT industry and then seriously fucked over by a large transnational gaming company.

Was always interested in socialist politics from studying the cold war for my GCSE's I was a left wing type until discovering Chomsky and his writings about modern corporations being Tyrannies in around 2005...

That got me really interested in Anarchism, so I read more Chomsky, Bakunin and Rudolf Rocker. I'd class myself as Anarcho-Syndicalist/Socialist Libertarian.

Though my school report does say "never does what he's told, and is always questioning authority" so maybe I was always really an anarchist. grin

Currently doing an access course to try and get into uni as a mature student.

Auto's picture
Auto
Offline
Joined: 12-04-09
Mar 30 2011 13:02
chomsky is my home boy wrote:
Hello there,

From UK London but currently living in Sydney...

Currently unemployed and have no desire to ever to work for a boss/corporation/company again after being made redundant three times in the IT industry and then seriously fucked over by a large transnational gaming company.

Was always interested in socialist politics from studying the cold war for my GCSE's I was a left wing type until discovering Chomsky and his writings about modern corporations being Tyrannies in around 2005...

That got me really interested in Anarchism, so I read more Chomsky, Bakunin and Rudolf Rocker. I'd class myself as Anarcho-Syndicalist/Socialist Libertarian.

Though my school report does say "never does what he's told, and is always questioning authority" so maybe I was always really an anarchist. grin

Currently doing an access course to try and get into uni as a mature student.

Welcome to Libcom! I'm currently working in the games industry myself. On crunch time at the moment, so I know all about the industry's bullshit.

I'm currently looking into possibilities for worker organising in the games industry, and I'm hopeful that SolFed will eventually get itself a Digital & Tech Workers Network.

If you're interested in chatting with a fellow Anarcho-Syndicalist in the games/tech industry, feel free to send me a message. smile

Hope you enjoy your time on the site!

MannyCalavera's picture
MannyCalavera
Offline
Joined: 31-03-11
Mar 31 2011 11:45

Hello all. 27 year old South London anarchist here in an online sales administration job.

*waves*

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Offline
Joined: 25-02-09
Mar 31 2011 12:13
MannyCalavera wrote:
Hello all. 27 year old South London anarchist here in an online sales administration job.

*waves*

Grim Fandango and South London FTW.

MannyCalavera's picture
MannyCalavera
Offline
Joined: 31-03-11
Mar 31 2011 13:09

Lovely Brockley cool

Auto's picture
Auto
Offline
Joined: 12-04-09
Mar 31 2011 14:32

I used to live round that way before I moved up to Oxford.

As an ex-pat denizen of Lewisham Borough, I'm pleased to see it becoming such a hot-bed of radicalism. grin

MannyCalavera's picture
MannyCalavera
Offline
Joined: 31-03-11
Mar 31 2011 14:33
Tommy Ascaso wrote:
Nice! Are you involved in anything locally? I'm starting to wonder if we've met! There are a few South London Solfed members in Brockley.

Nope. Trying to rebuild myself politically after years in the wilderness. I'll will be looking to get involved though with whatevers appropriate going. Anything good I should know about?

gypsy
Offline
Joined: 20-09-09
Mar 31 2011 14:53
Malva wrote:
Hi,

I live in Paris and have spent the past two and a half years researching the work of Raoul Vaneigem for a phd thesis .

Jeez did you get paid to do that? laugh out loud

MannyCalavera's picture
MannyCalavera
Offline
Joined: 31-03-11
Mar 31 2011 14:54
Tommy Ascaso wrote:
There's our group which is pretty exciting at the moment, we've tripled in size since November and more and more people are getting involved now. If you want to get in touch contact our Secretary here: http://www.solfed.org.uk/?q=contact

There's also Social Centre Plus in Deptford which is in the old job centre, not sure how much longer that's going to last though! Lewisham Anti-Cuts Alliance is alright for a local group but hasn't got a huge amount of things planned. What were you doing before entering the wilderness?

Um...just bits and bobs, not as much as I should of done.

I'll drop an e-mail. Been trying to figure out the difference between AF and SolFed all week and I have decided that bollocks to the differences I am just going to go the for the one with local presence grin (even though I am more drawn to AFed wink ) Cheers smile

axiom
Offline
Joined: 11-02-11
Mar 31 2011 19:58

I've recently been posting Libcom as axiom but I used to use the username yearzero.
I somehow lost stuff on my computer so had to start a new account. I joined the A(C)F in '95. Used to live in the east end but have moved out to the country where I'm involved in the AF's Surrey-Hants group.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Mar 31 2011 20:56

If you wish to continue posting as year zero we can just send you a new password

thegonzokid's picture
thegonzokid
Offline
Joined: 23-07-09
Mar 31 2011 22:16
Tommy Ascaso wrote:
There's our group which is pretty exciting at the moment, we've tripled in size since November and more and more people are getting involved now.

Got in from work and spent the last hour sorting through SF media requests and membership enquiries (several of which are for you lot). Looks like Martin's going to be busy doing his induction workshop smile

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Offline
Joined: 5-10-07
Mar 31 2011 22:21

Soon the journos and coppers will outnumber the anarchists in SolFed! In all seriousness tho, the Organiser Training page on the website has brought in numerous inquiries in the week or so it's been up, too!

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Offline
Joined: 5-10-07
Mar 31 2011 22:22

Oh, and thegonzokid got post #1000!

You must win something for that.

thegonzokid's picture
thegonzokid
Offline
Joined: 23-07-09
Mar 31 2011 22:53

An endless supply of free booze during SF conference? smile

wojtek
Offline
Joined: 8-01-11
Apr 1 2011 03:07

Just thougt I'd officially introduce myself. I'm a student in the Manchester area and
the following brought me to revolutionary politics and libertarian communism:

Oliver James' book 'Affluenza', a strong belief that life shouldn't be an endless competition, Cli-Che Guevara, Bill Hicks' 'Positive Drug Story' sketch, Medialens, Chomsky's 'Propaganda Model', photographs of the 2008 Greek riots, a guide proposing workers' self-management in restaurants, Mike Judge's film 'Office Space', Malcolm X and the Black Panthers. Finally, I would like to say a special thank you to the despicable Aaron Porter and the hapless TUC for cementing my anarchist principles.

I'm aiming for this to be a life-long adventure and not just some ritualistic 'youthful rebellion'. So if I ever sell-out and embrace the soul-destroying 'respectability' of my upbringing then please at the very least hit me!

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Offline
Joined: 5-10-07
Apr 1 2011 07:02

W, welcome to the boards. There's a number of active anarchist orgs in Manchester and some unaffiliated anarchos, too. So I'm sure you'll be able to find people to share your adventure with.

Auto's picture
Auto
Offline
Joined: 12-04-09
Apr 1 2011 07:13
thegonzokid wrote:
Got in from work and spent the last hour sorting through SF media requests and membership enquiries (several of which are for you lot). Looks like Martin's going to be busy doing his induction workshop :)

Did Thames Valley SolFed forward our requests on to you as well? We've had three membership enquiries ourselves.