General Franco and football?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bob Savage's picture
Bob Savage
May 19 2008 11:58
General Franco and football?

so, uh. i was just looking on the BBC football site and clicked on one of the 'debates'. it was supposed to be about Fergie and Ronaldo leaving Man United sometime soon (bullshit), but i just scroll down and come across this:

Quote:
"That is the most stupid thing I ahve ever heard.

Franco got power in Spain in 1939. Real madrid needed over 15 years to wina League. Franco had an interest of Barcelona or Athletic Bilabo doing well to keep the nationalist regions happy through football. Franco also reclassified Barcelona's training grounds 5 times to fund them.

Real madrid are in the position they are now because they got DiStefano and Puskas and got the first 5 European Cups played. That is what made the club an elite one and one fancied by almost every player.

Manchester United has now topped the rich clubs' list - that is a fact. The Franco myth isn't. So you could apply your own rule and not make them up."

Quote:
"It's not a myth.
Franco put large amounts of state reserves into Real Madrid, as the name means "Royal Madrid" strangeley enough, in order to allow them to be better than any other side, particularly Barca who, as a Catalan club, did not want to be part of Franco's regime and were in direct opposition to everything he stood for.

When Franco’s fascist forces finally prevailed over the Republicans in 1939, Barça, who had narrowly survived the Civil War, came in for a pounding.

Real Madrid - Franco’s team - was to be deified. Officially.
State-controlled Spanish television continually showed highlights of Real’s matches and very little of Barça’s, thus generating the notion among the populace that Real were Spain’s team, whilst also allowing Real to take a far larger share of revenue.

A Franco stooge Barça president managed to ‘lose’ Alfredo Di Stefano to their arch rivals when they’d already signed him. Di Stefano went on to lead Real to five successive European Cup victories.

The Spanish referees were also got at in a regime of terror. Not only did they favour Real in any encounter with Barça, the 1940s, 50s, 60s and 70s were also littered with bizarre - and obviously biased - refereeing decisions in other matches involving Barça which cost them championships and Cups. The decisions were so appalling that eventually even a puppet Barça president had the temerity to complain to the Spanish College of Referees. He was ignored."

anyone know anymore on this? pretty remarkable that it somehow came up on a debate about United (i can't be bothered to see how it came up though, to be honest), but it keeps this anarcho-fetishist happy no doubt.

Refused's picture
Refused
May 19 2008 12:20

Scummy Madrid bastards.

Ed's picture
Ed
May 19 2008 14:01

Yeah, I saw something about this stuff on a documentary about football and fascism.. dead interesting actually.. their fans are also really right-wing (see sieg heiling and monkey chants at the Bernebau when England played there last) and apparently have links with Lazio fans (who are massive wankers)...

Mara
May 19 2008 15:15

In answer to all of the questions in the first comment, read 'White Storm' and 'Morbo' by Phil Ball.

Brigate Galleani
May 19 2008 16:55
Ed wrote:
Yeah, I saw something about this stuff on a documentary about football and fascism.. dead interesting actually.. their fans are also really right-wing (see sieg heiling and monkey chants at the Bernebau when England played there last) and apparently have links with Lazio fans (who are massive wankers)...

Ah, you would be talking about Real's notorious 'Ultras Sur'.

Udo_Bukowski's picture
Udo_Bukowski
May 19 2008 18:29

You might also want to check "Barca - A peoples passion" by Jimmy Burns

fidel gastro
May 19 2008 20:16

I saw the Fascism and Football documaentary, very interesting and there is a Communism and Football one too. Catalan flags were banned from matches, they had to be smuggled in. Today, Celtic fans have had Tricolors and Starry Plough flags and banners confiscated at Celtic Park while the butcher's apron is allowed.

Vaneigemappreci...
May 19 2008 20:48
Quote:
Ed wrote:

There's loads of fascist firms in Spain, most cities have some form of political divide amongst the two football teams there. I remember reading an article on football firms in the spanish version of Nuts Magazine, well i say "read" but all i could read was "a la dereche" and "izkieda". I seem to remember that Racing Santander, Bilbao, Barcelona and maybe Osasuna were the "left wing" firms and Madrid, Betis, Mallorca were more right wing.

Brigate Galleani
May 20 2008 07:43
Vaneigemappreciationclub wrote:
Quote:
Ed wrote:

There's loads of fascist firms in Spain, most cities have some form of political divide amongst the two football teams there. I remember reading an article on football firms in the spanish version of Nuts Magazine, well i say "read" but all i could read was "a la dereche" and "izkieda". I seem to remember that Racing Santander, Bilbao, Barcelona and maybe Osasuna were the "left wing" firms and Madrid, Betis, Mallorca were more right wing.

To make matters even more confusing many Spanish teams (as in Italy) have Ultra' groups of different political leaning, although it must be pointed out the majority of groups these days profess to be apolitical. For instance take Barcelona, a traditionally left leaning support. Their best known Ultra' group 'Boixos Nois' was originally formed by Antifa leftists, the group has in recent years been infiltrated by fash and is now seen as being strictly right wing. A similar situation but on a much larger scale has happened in Italy within AS Roma's Ultra' groups.

Jaamboli
Oct 1 2013 21:09

I believe there was a book called Franco and Football...I did read it many years ago and it made clear that Franco had used football as the "circus" aspect of the "bread and circuses" equation.
The Barcelona v Madrid game was for many years timed to coincide with election days to distract the country from the fact that they lived in a fascist dictatorship. Spain is a country where bribary is seen as a thoroughly dependable way to conduct business (Believe, me I am not guessing at this. I lived in Spain and conducted my business there most of my life) Bribery removes from the equation all those nebulous factors like morality and intellectual integrity, you get exactly what you pay for !
The fact that someone in here quotes the addition of Puskas and Di Stefano "Saeta Subia" as the transforming factor in the in ascension of Madrid is important! Franco actually changed the laws relating to nationality to make these two ( and a great many others ) eligible to play for Spanish Club sides and, indeed,Spain.
The whole story of this is well worth researching and will lead you to hyperlink to Los Millonarios..
The Busby Babes were in some trouble with the FA for playing in such a tainted competition as the European Cup and at the time of the Munich Disaster there was talk of them being banned from FA competitions because of this association.
You can take a tour of Barcelona and see the the artifacts of Spanish football bribery.Boats belonging to Norwegian ex-referees.Hotel suites in the Princess Sofia Hotel (adjacent to Nou Camp) held permanently in the name of various high and low ranking football officials....it's all there doesn't take a lot of research to find these things....
I only tell you all this in order to give substance to "Refused's" far more succinct comment
'Scummy Madrid Bastards."
Well said that man.....
I love the Spanish people and their way of life. I have enormous respect for them and their country. They are, to me, a model on which the world should be run....but...I despise what they have done to football.

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Oct 3 2013 15:34

In case anyone's still interested here's the doc in question.