Amazon US to pay $15

Submitted by klas batalo on October 2, 2018

CNN just reported that Amazon will be paying all employees full time part time temps and subsidiary companies like Whole Foods employees at least $15 an hour starting November 1st

They also stated they will lobby for federal $15 per hour

Mike Harman

5 years 6 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Mike Harman on October 2, 2018

Couple of questions:

1. Was there going to be another boycott of Black Friday? It's coming up soon. Or was there any moves towards strikes as there has been in Europe recently? I haven't seen much about amazon organising in the US.

2. Presumably people will still not get paid for the time spent in security screening queues (which you have to do even to go on lunch or short breaks).

Comrade Motopu

5 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Comrade Motopu on October 3, 2018

And Bernie came out singing Bezos' praises like a good labor-management collaborator. What a joke! As if $15/hour makes up for being abused, timed down to the second by their hand held item location devices, denied bathroom breaks, worked until they're hauled off by ambulances, etc. Anyone who's read any of the numerous articles on their working conditions, being denied the right to unionize, and Bezos' lies about it being a great work environment knows Amazon needs to be broken up. Bezos himself should be facing criminal charges. Sorry Bernie, this just doesn't even begin to cut it. Goes to the general shortcomings of the tepid reformism of the Berniecrats, DSA, and mainstream unions. They're not fighting the class war we need. I'm not at all interested in hearing praise for Bezos, which is totally self-defeating for us, though maybe good for Bernie in some way.

Black Badger

5 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Black Badger on October 3, 2018

Having worked in a skilled labor industry for many years, it was appalling to me how the class-oriented divisions among workers had seeped so far into the consciousness of my coworkers. When fast food employees agitated for a $15 minimum, most of my coworkers complained that people flipping burgers shouldn't get the same pay that many of us had to wait two or three years for. It never occurred to them that a raise in the base minimum might provide the momentum for us to demand a two or three dollar raise for ourselves. When public transport workers went on strike or engaged in job actions, most of my coworkers sounded like local politicians complaining about the inconveniences caused by people trying to get better wages and benefits for themselves and their families. The level of class consciousness was minimal, and mostly came to the fore when management behaved like serious scumbags; otherwise, it was all one happy family. Yet another reason I wasn't sad to leave that behind.

syndicalist

5 years 6 months ago

Submitted by syndicalist on October 3, 2018

Right quick.

Of course, there's always a catch. I wonder how many sub-contracted folks also work for Amazon.

Amazon Warehouse Workers Lose Bonuses, Stock Awards for Raises
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-03/amazon-eliminating-bonuses-stock-awards-to-help-pay-for-raises

Black Badger

5 years 6 months ago

Submitted by Black Badger on October 5, 2018

https://www.facebook.com/capitalismkillsx/photos/a.1147604495384897/1507115096100500/?type=3&theater