"Anarchist Memes" admin named in connection with harassment and rape apologism

86 posts / 0 new
Last post
Max_Anarchies
Aug 3 2013 10:31
"Anarchist Memes" admin named in connection with harassment and rape apologism

http://emateapot.wordpress.com/2013/08/01/naming-names/

Just seen this pop up today, for those that don't know, "Anarchist Memes" is a facebook page which serves as a news/humour blog, it used to be quite decent in terms of the content it shared, however has taken a bit of a shit turn recently with some of the admins changing/being added and using the page as some sort of diary.

It has a following of about 80,000 including some anarchist organisations, eg Solfed. It also links itself to Libcom in its description.

Whilst the page is usually little more than a space for "Anarchocapitalists" to troll and be trolled, it's connection with sites like Libcom and organisations like Solfed, to me at least, legitimise the page as a voice for modern Anarchism. Which is a bit shit considering it's run by a rape apologist.

admin: thread locked and due to be unpublished due to a restorative process agreed by all parties with libcom.org. Being left here temporarily so people know why it is being removed

admin 2: republished and unlocked. please no real names on this thread.

Max_Anarchies
Aug 3 2013 12:10

When I posted the link to the page it was removed with the above comment.

They banned me when I proceeded to post it again.

jolasmo's picture
jolasmo
Aug 3 2013 12:21

Pretty damning.

~J.

plasmatelly's picture
plasmatelly
Aug 3 2013 12:31

Max anarchies wrote -

Quote:
it's connection with sites like Libcom and organisations like Solfed, to me at least, legitimise the page as a voice for modern Anarchism. Which is a bit shit considering it's run by a rape apologist.

What connection with solfed? Being friended on Facebook adds up to nothing. Whatever you're saying, it has nothing to do with solfed.

Agent of the Fifth International's picture
Agent of the Fi...
Aug 3 2013 12:34

Personally, I was never impressed by the daily posts made by Anarchist Memes. Their not lib-commish.

Max_Anarchies
Aug 3 2013 13:01

I'm a member of SF, I'm not being critical of SF, I don't think SF is a rape apologist organisation, nor do I think the anarchist memes page is run by members of SF or that members of SF are in any way complicit with the accusations in the article above.

Unfortunately though, being "friended" on facebook does add up to something, although admittedly not very much, and the current SF member mandated to administer the SF facebook page can unlike the page in two seconds and it will make no discernible difference to SFs internal or external relations.

Distancing yourself from rape apologists is sort of manners 101 in my opinion.

Alasdair's picture
Alasdair
Aug 3 2013 13:37

I tried posting about this on their page too, and it got deleted, then I got a personal message from Ben linking to a fairly rambling document on dropbox, which frankly hasn't persuaded me.

plasmatelly's picture
plasmatelly
Aug 3 2013 13:58

Max anarchies wrote -

Quote:
I'm a member of SF, I'm not being critical of SF, I don't think SF is a rape apologist organisation, nor do I think the anarchist memes page is run by members of SF or that members of SF are in any way complicit with the accusations in the article above.

Then bleeding mate, just send the person responsible for that solfed Facebook page a message to unfriend. Simples, no? I appreciate what you're saying to a degree, though shit sticks if someone wants to make something out of having an idiot on a list of befriended people on a Facebook page.
I usually look after a solfed Facebook page and tbh, people are accepted on trust that they are ok, I certainly don't try to vet people, if they play up or I learn they are nobs I unfriend. I'd appreciate an email rather than a public notice.

Max_Anarchies
Aug 3 2013 14:07

Plasmatelly: Point taken. It just genuinely wasn't meant as picking out SF as in any way connected with the page or the events so that didn't really occour to me. I was trying to point out that it isn't just "some random page" and has some (if tenuous) links with "legit" anarchist groups. But you are quite right, that would have been more sensible.

Alasdair: Is it those internal complaints documents with lots of personal details throughout them?

He publicly posted them on twitter before sharply removing them.

no1
Aug 5 2013 08:26

Has there been any reaction from anarchist memes to the accusation against one of their admins? I expect them to respond publicly if they want to maintain their credibility, esp since Anarchist Memes has been used in the harassment campaign. It's a pretty successful project with their nearly 80'000 subscribers so far, but their admin team need to deal with this situation. The fact that they have now stopped ordinary users from posting (following Max_Anarchies posting a link to the accusations) does not make me hopeful.

Caiman del Barrio
Aug 5 2013 09:01

Let's hope they respond in a manner that the accusers find appropriate. If not though, what can Libcom do in support? Libcom & AM are similar inasmuch as they both hold significant clout on social media and benefit from broad shares, RTs, etc.

Harrison
Aug 5 2013 12:19

max_anarchies was clearly posting it as info for all organisations, not just SF. I'm surprised to hear that people are worried that people might "make shit" out of SF being at one point fb friends with anarchist memes, if anything it is good publicity for SF to show that it has been quick to respond to a public warning and dissociate from sexist apologism.

From administering a group account for a short period of time, I noticed that most of the likes on anarchist fb pages came from people's separate political fb accounts, and political group accounts, that click like/friend/share on nearly every other anarchist fb page, and it all acts as something of a self-congratulatory like/friend/share factory, so i don't think there is any need to worry that 'anarchist memes' has influence due to large numbers of shares/likes.

akai
Aug 5 2013 14:11

If I am not mistaken, the person from Anarchist Memes you are talking about also set up Anarcho-Syndicalism FB and is involved with cooperating with representatives of various organizations. Am wondering about this all and whether people really want to be associated with this.

klas batalo's picture
klas batalo
Aug 5 2013 16:00

the A-S page was not made by ites.

there are two types of admins on FB pages content creators and managers. basically it is a hierarchy of who has actual control.

it appears i've been demoted to content creator with no discussion after this snafu. i don't know why, other than ites circling their wagons. i'm assuming i'll be dumped now for saying this.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Aug 5 2013 16:37

Anarchist Memes no longer links to libcom. It now links to anarkismo. Ites is indeed circling the wagons. Laughable.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 5 2013 17:42
Khawaga wrote:
Anarchist Memes no longer links to libcom. It now links to anarkismo. Ites is indeed circling the wagons. Laughable.

burn!

Any anarkismo people here, what do you think about that?

Soapy's picture
Soapy
Aug 5 2013 18:19

Christ almighty...Ites, whoever you are you need to take a step back and just relax for a second because you are making some poor life decisions here.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Aug 5 2013 19:06

And then they wrote this after a friend of mine linked to this discussion

Anarchist Memes wrote:
We're currently engaged in an accountability process around this. These things don't happen overnight, especially on the internet and especially with all of us living all around the world. Also the individual in cause, did not do those things in his capacity as an AM admin, so the fact that AM is targeted specifically tells a lot about hidden purposes. Please be patient.

Those insidious hidden purposes... If any Anarchist Memes admins are reading this. What. The. Fuck? Pointing out that one of your admins is a serial harasser and rape apologist points to some hidden purpose is 1) paranoid or 2) Ites manipulating again. I for one would be happy to "like" your page again if you deal with this appropriately. Indeed, I would even applaud you.

caterpillar
Aug 6 2013 02:14

As the person who wrote the blog... I want to make it clear that nobody has contacted me personally about this so called “accountability process”. I haven’t consented to it and neither have the other people who Ben has harassed. I also think it’s very unlikely that I will consent to it in future given I am already being accused of having “hidden purposes”.

This really doesn’t show much good faith on the part of AM.

GusselSprouts's picture
GusselSprouts
Aug 6 2013 02:47

syndicalist
Aug 6 2013 02:55
GusselSprouts wrote:

???????????????

bounce's picture
bounce
Aug 6 2013 06:33

Ites did actually use AM to target people from the iww branch that expelled him but it shouldnt even matter whether he used his position as admin to do so or not because the fact remains that he has an long history of this behaviour and it isthe type of behaviour that if group associated with him washes their hands of will only condone it (this is aimed at AM, not at other groups who may have some links to AM and were not aware of Ites' actions).

As another of the people harassed by Ites, and the person he victim blamed, I have had no contact from anyone at AM either and find it pretty hostile of AM that they consider there to be a hidden motive for Ites being called out. As if wanting to hold someone who has harassed myself and others and engaged in bullying and blaming me as a rape victim are not reason enough to call him out and unfortunately it seems that making it publicly known that he created AM seems to be the only way to get them to even acknowledge anything. Individual admins, I don't know how many, were aware of the situation and quite a few months. ago I posted about it on AM only too have it removed and be blocked.

Edited to fix spelling.

bounce's picture
bounce
Aug 6 2013 05:17

Sorry for the spelling. I'm hopeless at typing on my phone.

no1
Aug 6 2013 06:45

https://www.facebook.com/anarchistmemes/posts/520658814672257

Anarchist Memes wrote:
The Anarchist Memes admin collective takes very seriously the controversy surrounding one of our admins. We are in the process of creating an accountability process that is fair and open. There will be updates as the process moves forward. Thank you for your support and understanding.
caterpillar
Aug 6 2013 09:38

akai
Aug 6 2013 10:02

Klas, are we talking about the same page? There is more than one page and a group. I was told by somebody from the admin that one of the pages was made by him - but maybe he was mistaken. Just asking...

Ablokeimet
Aug 6 2013 11:52
Steven. wrote:
Khawaga wrote:

burn!

Any anarkismo people here, what do you think about that?

Anarkismo doesn't have a Facebook page (I searched the Internet with a Famous Web Search Engine). As I'm not on Facebook, either, I can't see what the link is. I can say three things, however:

1. If you have a web site, you can put a link on it to any other page on the web. Thus, you have a one-way association and the page you're linking to has no influence over the page from which the link comes. Often, the admins of the destination page won't even know about the link.

2. Anarchist Memes is not one of the affiliated organisations of Anarkismo:

http://www.anarkismo.net/about_us

3. If the person at the centre of this controversy applied to join an Anarchist group of which I was a member, I would oppose his application.

Agent of the Fi...
Aug 6 2013 14:22

An hour ago, Anarchist Memes claimed that there was no evidence in the first report(?) and dismissed the whole process of the IWW in handling the person in question. It was also pretty defensive of him when his character was attacked by some posters. So it seems like this is going to be like another Trayvon Martin-George Zimmerman case.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Aug 6 2013 14:26

Well, someone with access to the account did so in the comments - I doubt very much it was an agreed statement somehow.

Agent of the Fi...
Aug 6 2013 14:28

Either the person in question has complete dictatorial control over Anarchist Memes or the group as a whole just don't give a damn, and their "accountability" process is just a PR stunt.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Aug 6 2013 14:37

Naw that's not how it works usually, individual admins will all have access to the official AM persona and be able to post whatever/whenever, it won't necessarily be noticed or acted on by the rest of the collective until they log in or check that thread (in fact the comments now seem to have been removed, suggesting that's probably what happened).