Anarchists to target royal wedding, The Sun

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mike Harman
Jan 31 2011 08:27
Anarchists to target royal wedding, The Sun

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3380637/Anarchists-target-Prince-William-and-Kate-Middleton-royal-wedding.html

Quote:
Leading anarchist Chris Knight revealed details of the campaign in a message to activists.

He outlined a two-pronged approach, with extremists causing havoc around Westminster Abbey for a month before carrying out further attacks on the day of the wedding.

Knight told activists: "The plan is to mingle with well-wishers in large numbers, hold anarchist street parties, reoccupy Parliament Square, stage a carnival orgy and drive up security costs to the point when the whole wedding has to be relocated to St Paul's. This would be hugely embarrassing to the monarchy."

How have I not heard of this 'leading anarchist' Chris Knight?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jan 31 2011 09:06

Yeah, he's that nutter lecturer from Goldsmiths I believe. And he's not an anarchist.

waslax's picture
waslax
Jan 31 2011 09:21

According to Wikipedia's entry for Chris Knight:

Quote:
Statements he made at this time [G20 summit] in an interview for the London Evening Standard (and the PM programme) led the Corporate Management Team at the University of East London to charge him with 'gross professional misconduct', 'insubordination' and 'bringing the university into disrepute'. He was suspended on 26 March 2009 and despite a petition signed by 600 academics and others was 'summarily dismissed' on July 22 2009. He is now a visiting lecturer and Professor of Anthropology at the University of Comenius, Bratislava, Slovakia.
squaler
Jan 31 2011 09:25

he's the one wears the top hat, basically a clown without the makeup

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jan 31 2011 09:26

Sorry that's right, University of East London, not goldsmiths!

Caiman del Barrio
Jan 31 2011 10:16

He's not Goldsmiths but he's based in the area so he still tarnishes Lewisham radicalism. And he's not a fucking anarcho, apparently he attempted to join the CPGB (OMFUG, lol) recently, but had his application turned down. He's happy to play the fucking moron clown that the media want (alongside Ian "odious" Bone).

The Meltdown lot really are completely insane and it's really depressing that they're accommodated.

Postsocratic
Jan 31 2011 12:07

Chris Knight's purported anarchism or lackthereof aside, what is it about that the "Meltdown lot" completely insane? I ask not out of disagreement but because I frequently hear of them and their activities but nothing entirely substantial.

Caiman del Barrio
Jan 31 2011 12:16
Postsocratic wrote:
what is it about that the "Meltdown lot" completely insane?

Well, I suppose it's not entirely fair to call everyone involved insane (rather, they should ask themselves why they're lining up behind someone who clearly is), but Knight's performance since his sudden ascent into the spotlight before G20 definitely implies some sort of chronic delusion (people close to him have suggested that he was ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED of the accuracy of his bombast: ie that capitalism would fall as a result of the G20 protests). His actions then, and now in the buildup to M26, represent such a fundamental lack of comprehension of contemporary sociopolitical events so as to be a hindrance on any sort of revolutionary movement.

Postsocratic
Jan 31 2011 18:03
Caiman del Barrio wrote:
Postsocratic wrote:
what is it about that the "Meltdown lot" completely insane?

Well, I suppose it's not entirely fair to call everyone involved insane (rather, they should ask themselves why they're lining up behind someone who clearly is), but Knight's performance since his sudden ascent into the spotlight before G20 definitely implies some sort of chronic delusion (people close to him have suggested that he was ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED of the accuracy of his bombast: ie that capitalism would fall as a result of the G20 protests). His actions then, and now in the buildup to M26, represent such a fundamental lack of comprehension of contemporary sociopolitical events so as to be a hindrance on any sort of revolutionary movement.

An "action without theory" person then...

Boris Badenov
Jan 31 2011 18:17

Pretty sad. I suppose the circus variety of "anarchist" will never really go away, and I suppose they will continue to live in a symbiotic relationship with trashy tabloids. Oh well.

Uncreative's picture
Uncreative
Jan 31 2011 22:57
Postsocratic wrote:
Chris Knight's purported anarchism or lackthereof aside, what is it about that the "Meltdown lot" completely insane? I ask not out of disagreement but because I frequently hear of them and their activities but nothing entirely substantial.

Don't they hand out leaflets signed "the armed wing of the TUC"?

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Jan 31 2011 23:18

He was teaching at UEL but was chased out of the post following his stunts around G20, particularly threatening to push the nuclear button on the police. He his behind Government of the Dead, G20 Meltdown, the Radical Anthropology Group and has a side project in the form of a samba band, which incidentally were responsible for splitting the Radical Workers Block in 2009 on the People Not Profit march wall .

After loosing his post at UEL he now teaches at a University in Slovokia.

gypsy
Feb 1 2011 07:22
october_lost wrote:

After loosing his post at UEL he now teaches at a University in Slovokia.

Slovakia is some commute.

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Feb 1 2011 08:54

He's a visiting professor, which presumably means he presents a lecture once a blue moon. Or at least they commission his work under their name.

Yorkie Bar
Feb 1 2011 12:58
Uncreative wrote:
Postsocratic wrote:

That was actually pretty funny, tbf.

AnnieSocial's picture
AnnieSocial
Feb 1 2011 13:02
Uncreative wrote:

Oh how I long for the day that I see such a wing being set up!

T La Palli
Feb 1 2011 14:06

Whilst Chris Knight and mentioned groups are not my kettle of fish, I think there is merit in the idea of protests on the day of the wedding. It would be great to see the Met getting the run around as they did at a couple of the education demos. They would be stretched massively in terms of staffing. Haven't we all got the day off as well so lots of people could make it.

Kronstadt_Kid's picture
Kronstadt_Kid
Feb 1 2011 15:14
Caiman del Barrio wrote:
apparently he attempted to join the CPGB (OMFUG, lol) recently, but had his application turned down.

http://vimeo.com/6183368

"I applied to join the Communist Party of Great Britain."

@ 35:36

Awesome Dude's picture
Awesome Dude
Feb 1 2011 15:29
Quote:
"Network X is a joint command revolutionary organisation. It consists of the Whitechapel Anarchists Group, the NMLA, Democracy Village, the Direction Action Group, Class War and many environmental and feminist anarchists. What is the Army going to do, fire on us?"

LLLLOOOOLLLL!!!!!

Joint command revolutionary organisation eh?

Yorkie Bar
Feb 1 2011 15:48

I wish the anarchy was as cool and sexy as tabloid journalists imagine it to be sad.

Zanthorus's picture
Zanthorus
Apr 3 2011 11:20

He's definitely not an Anarchist. He writes pieces for the CPGB's paper the Weekly Worker and the CPGB lot seem to have something of a hard on for his ideas (A while back Jack Conrad wrote a supplement to the paper on primitive communism which was basically a boiled down version of one of Knight's books). Wikipedia says that despite being a Marxist he is often mistakenly identified as an Anarchist. Probably his craziness fits in more with the stereotype of an Anarchist hooligan than some dry Marxist cadre pushing the party line at every possible opportunity.

EDIT: Whoops, just realised this thread is over two months old. Got linked here by the user Steven. in the 'the royal wedding' thread and forgot to check when the thread was posted embarrassed

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Apr 8 2011 20:38

the plot thickens....

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23939865-anarchists-plot-to-wreck-prince-william-and-kate-middletons-wedding-celebration.do

Read this on the train home today, I'm beginning to think royal wedding action is a bit of a red herring :-S

rat's picture
rat
Apr 9 2011 12:09

Just posted a quote from this article on the Interview with Black Bloc thread.
Is the subject of the story actually a journo, a pig or just a plonker?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 9 2011 12:15
Arbeiten wrote:
the plot thickens....

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23939865-anarchists-plot-to-wreck-prince-william-and-kate-middletons-wedding-celebration.do

Read this on the train home today, I'm beginning to think royal wedding action is a bit of a red herring :-S

that is hilarious. It's so obviously bogus! He even has a copy of the Guardian in his backpack!

That just aside from the fact that he has a gas mask, and why would you ever use a gas mask on a demonstration in the UK? Pretty funny though, I wonder if someone here did it to take the piss

Harrison
Apr 9 2011 12:25

lols, it must be someone taking the piss, especially the part about a collection of affinity groups being called a 'brick'

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Apr 9 2011 12:59

Guy Smallman tears it apart pretty well here.

Graco
Apr 9 2011 13:53

Whoa…. I am hearing some strange, sorry, I mean ‘tragically usual,’ things on this thread (please don’t be offended…). It is almost laughable (‘you’re nearly a laugh, but you’re really a cry…’ Pink Floyd, Animals) how people are ‘written off’ on Libcom – 'mental', 'crazy' - this kind of conservative knee-jerkism is not what one would expect from a dictionary definition of an anarchist or a supposed free-thinker.

But follow the dictats and intuition of The Sun if you have to, comrades... sigh.

I read the thread and was intrigued as to who Chris Knight might be and what he might be saying. Visit his little blogspotty website, and open his ‘laughter’ video. I see, in fact, that he is just trying to extend the present limits of thinking. He is thinking. Listen to him, it is worth it. Importantly, see also the first twenty minutes of:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-692109983114796169#

Yorkie Bar
Apr 9 2011 14:11
Quote:
I read the thread and was intrigued as to who Chris Knight might be

I'll bet.

Harrison
Apr 9 2011 15:31
Tommy Ascaso wrote:
Harrison Myers wrote:
lols, it must be someone taking the piss, especially the part about a collection of affinity groups being called a 'brick'

People do actually do that.

embarrassed i've never heard of bricks before

gypsy
Apr 9 2011 18:21
Harrison Myers wrote:
Tommy Ascaso wrote:
Harrison Myers wrote:

People do actually do that.

embarrassed i've never heard of bricks before

Welcome to the anarchy

Big Brother
Apr 10 2011 00:17

Before you get all your knickers in a twist it's a bloody Royal Family and the V.I.P around the world so "Surprise Surprise" so any stupid fools i.e. Nutters, Plods, Editors i.e. Piers Morgan, News of the World types are going to mouth off to the media. Anything to justified a heavy crack down during the Royal Wedding to take out the "Real Terrorist", you are just being used and baited as any excuse to do so... Reading the Evening Standard since when do you lot go around wear gas must in this country? Sounds like a bloody Piers Morgan job...