APPO members arrested for Brad Will murder

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Caiman del Barrio
Oct 17 2008 15:44
APPO members arrested for Brad Will murder

http://narcosphere.narconews.com/notebook/kristin-bricker/2008/10/oaxacan-activists-arrested-murder-brad-will

This is quite frankly unbelievable.

jesuithitsquad's picture
jesuithitsquad
Oct 17 2008 16:16

did they even bother watching brad's footage?

what a fucking slap in the face. first they use his death as an excuse to break the strike and now blame appo for his death?

Escarabajo
Oct 17 2008 16:25

Things are pretty tense here now, there are rumours of arrest warrants for up to 250 participants in the movement, although this is so far unconfirmed.

David in Atlanta
Oct 17 2008 16:29

more here

Caiman del Barrio
Oct 17 2008 20:00

In case there's any doubt about the validity of the arrests, here's some pictures taken from next to Brad Will, RIGHT before his murder:

Escarabajo - be CAREFUL and let us know what we can do. In the event of sweeping arrests i think solidarity demos should be in order.

Escarabajo
Oct 18 2008 18:22

Yeah will let y'all know what's up. latest is that theres now over 300 arrest warrants. Was meant to be a demo today but been postponed til tuesday. Really dunno whats gonna happen, its obviously an intimidation tactic, they do this often to try and preempt any shit kicking off. which theres a good possibility of it doing seeing we're nearing the 2nd anniversary of the murder and the entry of the preventive police into oaxaca. And we've just opened a social centre...looks like were about to get royally fucked.
bit more info. of the guys arrested so far, the one charged with the murder is being paid back for opposing the local (municipal) gov. the second guy is being framed as his accomplice, may be out on bail soon. 3 others are all in the movement but unrelated. they were barricaderos in 2006 and fucked up the guy who is now municipal president, so now he's getting his revenge.
will update when i can.
and yeah, if (when) the shit kicks off, solidarity demos (at the least, haha) would be greatly appreciated. The mex govrnment is shit scared at the moment, with the idea that oaxaca, morelos and hte rest might link up, which is exactly whats going on. remember when the Other Campaign was doing this explicitly in 2006 and what happened in Atenco as a result...will be in touch.
cheers, N.

Escarabajo
Oct 18 2008 00:02

oh, forgot to mention that the official ballistics report states htat Brad was shot by someone standing two metres from him. a highly suspicious finding in light of the fact that the witnesses to the murder state that they were standing two metres from him at the time of the shooting. what a coincidence...

Global Dissident's picture
Global Dissident
Oct 18 2008 01:04

Bullshit!

I feel sorry for Brad's friends in New York and Oregon. This is such a disgrace.

David in Atlanta
Oct 18 2008 15:33

The wife of one of the arrested says he isn't an appo member but welcomes their participation in his defense.
http://oaxacalibre.org/oaxlibre/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2162&Itemid=1

Escarabajo
Oct 18 2008 18:21

Some things are/were said in order to try and maximise the possibility of a release. In the past this has proved counterproductive and some prisoners of 2006 who distanced themselves from the movement reamin in jail due to constructing their defense on different grounds. this guy did participate in the movement of 2006, and his wife has since admitted the political motives for his arrest, saying that his only crime was "to be in opposition". Which is true.
in total there are 9 people supposedly wanted in connection with the murder, including at least one member of a prominent Oaxacan anarchist organisation.

David in Atlanta
Oct 19 2008 12:10

I can see where that would be a common ploy and less than successful. Do be careful down there comrade.

I think I can speak for everyone in asking you to send our respect and solidarity to all the comrades ingenious and interrnationalist alike

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Oct 19 2008 13:25

Absolutely unbelievable. Good luck to everyone out there.

Caiman del Barrio
Oct 19 2008 13:59

http://narcosphere.narconews.com/notebook/kristin-bricker/2008/10/octavio-free-bail-and-another-man-arrested-bradley-case

One activist out on $25,000 MN bail...

Jason Cortez
Oct 20 2008 16:18

Sickening but not really shocking, it reminds me Judy Barri being arrested for the FBI attempt to kill her. Good luck to all the comrades over in Mexico.

Escarabajo
Oct 22 2008 21:13

a quick update: march yesterday in support of the family, not too many people, aprox. 200 due in part to the wife of Juan denying he was part of the APPO and activists not wanting to support this as a result. Hopefully this will change as its the only way to build wider support, both from the point of view of the family and the movement. Juan is due to be sentenced today.
The teachers, who didn't appear on the march yesterday, have nevertheless convoked a demo for Monday 27th, in which I've heard there should be about 30, 000 of em. If so , tht should boot the numbers a bit. Following from this, theres anger amongst the more libertarian activists here that Section 22 so far hasn't seen fit to call anything for Nov 2, probably the most fundamental date for the movement, on which 2 years ago the militarised police (PFP) were routed and kicked out of the city. First and only time this has happened. Regardless of what the teachers decide to do, actions will be going ahead on that date...
more info as it comes, cheers.

Caiman del Barrio
Oct 24 2008 12:17

Well I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the latest move by the guy's defense team is to demonstrate that the Oaxacan judiciary system is unfit to hear his case so they're pushing for it to be put in front of a federal judge, which completely ignores the dynamics and scale of the Oaxacan movement (as if Oaxaca state infrastructure has or has had any sort of autonomy from federal government). Ah well.

Also Friends of Brad Will have started a hunger strike outside Hillary Clinton's NYC offices (Will was a New Yorker) calling for her to intervene:

http://narcosphere.narconews.com/notebook/kristin-bricker/2008/10/friends-brad-will-declare-dry-hunger-strike-sen-clintons-office

I honestly can't see this getting much further...the last 2 years have forced even the most dinosauric elements of the Oaxacan bourgeoisie to realise the importance of international PR (in a region which is almost entirely dependent on tourist dollars moreover). It does demonstrate the utter futility of the APPO's attempts to legally unseat URO et al via prosecutions.

Escarabajo
Oct 25 2008 00:12
Quote:
It does demonstrate the utter futility of the APPO's attempts to legally unseat URO et al via prosecutions.

Yep.

Escarabajo
Oct 25 2008 00:14

Activists and members of the neighbourhood of Santa Lucia del Camino will be raising barricades on the highway from Monday morning. Have also heard that large numbers of teachers may be coming along. Hope so,cos otherwise we aint gonna be too many. Will feedback with what happens...