Co-oP sacking/USDAW

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Spikymike
Mar 31 2011 14:15
Co-oP sacking/USDAW

A recent example of the Co-oPs 'ethical' treatment of it's workers in Manchester and the useless nature of USDAW in defence - http://manchestermule.com

Cleishbotham
Mar 31 2011 15:41

Thanks for that Mike. This sort of concrete example of union's looking to be part of management ratther than defend those who pay their dues need to be more widley circulated to the new generations of younger workers who think the unions are on our side.

Between Your Teeth's picture
Between Your Teeth
Mar 31 2011 15:53

anyone spoken to the worker in question? sounds like pickets and solidarity actions are in order, especially if his shit union aren't interested.

thegonzokid's picture
thegonzokid
Apr 3 2011 13:13

Yeah, Usdaw are shite. One of our comrades is trying to become a rep in his workplace and they've been less than helpful.

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Apr 4 2011 02:44

Unions and coops proving to be shit in the same move. Left-communist double-slam!

Gerostock's picture
Gerostock
Apr 8 2011 21:47

Even by the standards of Labour Party affiliated unions, USDAW are useless reactionaries. I don't think they've ever supported a strike; and they were, I think, the only union to support David Miliband's candidacy.

It's strange that shop workers have been organized into such a pro-boss union. I found retail work vastly more infuriatingly humiliating than even long-term benefit dependency. These people should be the most violent insurrectionaries.

Kronstadt_Kid's picture
Kronstadt_Kid
Apr 16 2011 16:41

Both USDAW's head office and this co-op branch are close to my house...
Probably missed the chance to do anything.

MannyCalavera's picture
MannyCalavera
May 25 2011 06:50
Gerostock wrote:
It's strange that shop workers have been organized into such a pro-boss union. I found retail work vastly more infuriatingly humiliating than even long-term benefit dependency. These people should be the most violent insurrectionaries.

I work in retail, though thankfully not in a front of house way. Currently looking for a new job and what I am struck by is there are a lot of companies out there who to join you have to sign up to a trainee manager scheme. Most retail workplaces have been careful not to have an "us and them" situation on the shop floor. You'll have your manager and deputy managers, but also your supervisors and manager assistants. If there is the slightest angle they can co-opt you in then they will go for it in the name of building your career.