Euro 2016

Submitted by Sleeper on June 11, 2016

For anyone who loves the beautiful game

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2016/matches/#md/1

Feel free to post up any comments or best sources/places to watch etc..

jef costello

7 years 9 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by jef costello on June 11, 2016

Surprisingly I cared when England conceded in injury time.
My attitude has softened over the years, I remember cheering when Northern Ireland scored and stopped watching England for years.
That said they didn't play too badly, still pretty shaky in terms of positioning but no one has been able to fix that.

factvalue

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by factvalue on June 11, 2016

Noah Fence

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on June 11, 2016

factvalue

Ooh, hoity toity!

Anyway, paint drying gags are my domain around here. Written permission required you trespassing son of a bitch.

factvalue

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by factvalue on June 11, 2016

You're right. Luckily with 'the beautiful game' there's an obvious alternative:

ajjohnstone

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by ajjohnstone on June 12, 2016

What gets up the goat of many is the concentration of media attention upon the English national team and its followers.

Rather than focus on the historic Welsh victory and the welcoming friendly relations between the locals and the Welsh fans we get the headlines on Engerland's woes, both on and off the field.

Maybe someone can explain how singing of one particular national anthem sets off a chain reaction of hate, while an even more vocal singing of another national anthem gains the respect of the opposition?

In other words, what is it about the typical (or stereotypical) England football fan that the world detests?

wojtek

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on June 12, 2016

Respective hooligans, French police and English media just need to chill. I'm looking forward to the World Cup in Russia. Not.

Ed

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Ed on June 12, 2016

wojtek

Respective hooligans, French police and English media just need to chill. I'm looking forward to the World Cup in Russia. Not.

Innit. When I watch videos of the violence I always think that the Russian hooligans look like the nuts bouncers of clubs you're not sure you'll get into while the English look like guys on a stag-do not being let in..

Even though this is the first England team in a long time that I find easy-ish to get behind, I have to admit I did let a little smirk onto my face when the Russians scored. Too many Spurs players, imo.. Gibbs would've sorted that cross out.. ;)

factvalue

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by factvalue on June 12, 2016

jef costello

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on June 12, 2016

ajjohnstone

In other words, what is it about the typical (or stereotypical) England football fan that the world detests?

Well aside from political historical rivalries, the reputation for violence that the fans have, the fact that they fill up public spaces drunkenly and noisily...

Ithink there is some truth in the argument that England supporters are not being deliberately aggressive when they sit around drinking and singing but I can see why people take it that way. Also the French police tactics are different so English supporters react differently to them.

There was a thing in one of the papers where a russian hooligan (it was the DM I think so there's a good chance it was made up) said that they'd give the England fans a kicking for fun but the real fight would be with the croats et al. because the England fans were too fat, old and drunk. There was a thing a while back where because of their reputation hooligans from other countries would go loking for England fans to build up their reputation, not sure if England fans still have a reputation. There was some fighting at the NI game to, I remember that some Scots used to travel with the English so they could get in on the action.

I don't think he posts here but Fed off Matb knew a fair bit about ultras and casuals.

noslavery

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by noslavery on June 12, 2016

Isn't this kind of tournament in odd with workers internationalism? I think it is. Club football is more tolerable, but they are too capitalistic and harsh now. Both ruin the beautiful game. The beautiful game has become too physical. I think we should take football serious and criticize the violent, physical and capitalistic aspect of it. Even women football are harsh now. In western culture, now we see many movies showing women military heroes. This is abuse of women, not women liberation. A lot of cultural shit is going on under the name of liberation.

ajjohnstone

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by ajjohnstone on June 12, 2016

I think there is some truth in the argument that England supporters are not being deliberately aggressive when they sit around drinking and singing but I can see why people take it that way. Also the French police tactics are different so English supporters react differently to them.

But so did the Welsh get drunk and sing their songs with much gusto. Maybe they sing in tune better.

Northern Ireland's first game is tonight. From what i read the Northern Irish fans were attacked by local football ultras, not by any rival Polish fans.

The Scots always get drunk and make a spectacle of themselves in public places and have come up against the same sort of police control as English fans have but rarely get involved in violence. (I'm specifically talking about the Tartan Army and not the travelling club supporters of the likes of Rangers). And the Scots ever since Argentina expect to get beat and have become the best losers in the world, maybe that is the reason.

So many English fans never intend any bother but they are nevertheless viewed as provocative.

How culpable is the media in hyping up the English nationalism even though i am sure the limited coverage from Welsh and NI is just as patriotic but is it needling the other participants as much?

I just have this niggling feeling i am missing something...something beyond the football and the flag-waving.

I don't know if they will meet each other in the later stages but there is a lot of potential political flashpoint...Ukraine V Russia

petey

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by petey on June 12, 2016

i'm in dublin this past week and the eng-rus game was on in the pub and there was a quiet but audible murmur of satisfaction when russia scored

e2a: i know it sound sunlikely that anything in a dublin pub could be described as a "quiet but audible murmur" but it's in a relatively boozhwah neighborhood

jef costello

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by jef costello on June 12, 2016

ajjohnstone

But so did the Welsh get drunk and sing their songs with much gusto. Maybe they sing in tune better.
So many English fans never intend any bother but they are nevertheless viewed as provocative.

How culpable is the media in hyping up the English nationalism even though i am sure the limited coverage from Welsh and NI is just as patriotic but is it needling the other participants as much?

Well I think historically there's not so much reason to react to the Welsh and they probably do sing better. And they probably don't sing songs about the IRA etc

Also there are always loads of England fans so it's easy enough to find a few and knock them about and feel tough, which is a fair chiunk of being a football hooligan isn't it? I've read a bit and for all the mythologising it is basically about the fun of fighting and bragging rights.

The Scots always get drunk and make a spectacle of themselves in public places and have come up against the same sort of police control as English fans have but rarely get involved in violence. (I'm specifically talking about the Tartan Army and not the travelling club supporters of the likes of Rangers). And the Scots ever since Argentina expect to get beat and have become the best losers in the world, maybe that is the reason.

I didn't mean the tartan army, I meant the ones (usually Ranger iirc) who travel with England for the fighting.

Sleeper

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Sleeper on June 12, 2016

A couple of things. I think the french side showed a bit of class in the opening game, but not enough to win a tournament.

I think the 'violence' between the English supporters and French police is a cultural thing. The french police use tear gas as a first choice. Against french people that might work, maybe they will disperse, run away and form to fight another day. Against British people that kind of thing is an insult, and we will stand strong and hold our ground.. As a small island nation we don't have anywhere else to go.

I think the England match was good and positive. There was no one in the team who could have reached that ball to stop the russians scoring. All it showed me was how well the team played and closed down the russian national team for most of the match.

wojtek

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on June 12, 2016

I think the 'violence' between the English supporters and French police is a cultural thing. The french police use tear gas as a first choice. Against french people that might work, maybe they will disperse, run away and form to fight another day. Against British people that kind of thing is an insult, and we will stand strong and hold our ground.. As a small island nation we don't have anywhere else to go.

This sounds exactly those parody tweets.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Hayder_alKhoei/status/741659456526815232

factvalue

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by factvalue on June 13, 2016

Schmoopie

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Schmoopie on June 13, 2016

noslavery:

The beautiful game has become too physical. I think we should take football serious and criticize the violent, physical and capitalistic aspect of it. Even women football are harsh now. In western culture, now we see many movies showing women military heroes. This is abuse of women, not women liberation. A lot of cultural shit is going on under the name of liberation.

I really think football could be a beautiful game in the future but competition is inherently ugly.

Khawaga

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on June 13, 2016

Against french people that might work, maybe they will disperse, run away and form to fight another day. Against British people that kind of thing is an insult, and we will stand strong and hold our ground.. As a small island nation we don't have anywhere else to go.

Essentialists bollocks. In any case, it's not like the French run from teargas. Did the summit hopping thing back when and the French were used to it.

Serge Forward

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on June 13, 2016

Sleeper

Against french people that might work, maybe they will disperse, run away and form to fight another day. Against British people that kind of thing is an insult, and we will stand strong and hold our ground.. As a small island nation we don't have anywhere else to go.

What the fuck??? For someone who calls yourself an anarchist, you're a bit free with your national stereotypes.

Wojtek, the parody tweets are nicely spotted :D

Red Marriott

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Red Marriott on June 13, 2016

And those proud decent Brits wouldn't have disgraced us by trying to bunk the train to France either.

As a small island nation we don't have anywhere else to go.

Except out of the tournament at an early stage.

Noah Fence

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on June 13, 2016

Sleeper man, wtf is going on with your recent posts? It ain't good I'm telling ya.

The Pigeon

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by The Pigeon on June 13, 2016

I couldn't help but laugh at the news of Russian football fans attacking their English rivals... I don't quite comprehend soccer culture (sic) over here and... I was just imagining that these foozballs are Putin's elite hooligan corps or something? What the hell is this ridiculousness? Couldn't help laughing!

Alf

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Alf on June 13, 2016

Ed opined: Too many Spurs players, imo.

A clear case of left wing anti-semitism.

Noah Fence

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on June 13, 2016

Khawaga

Alf wins the lolz of the day.

I guess so but Factvalues pics are er, pretty good value too.

Ed

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Ed on June 13, 2016

Alf

Ed opined: Too many Spurs players, imo.

A clear case of left wing anti-semitism.

Got a genuine lol out of me..

factvalue

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by factvalue on June 13, 2016

Sleeper

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Sleeper on June 14, 2016

And yet I've been proven correct again. The russian hooligans were fast moving, in and out, and very few arrests. The local french lads again in and out and know the streets, very few arrests. The english, trying to stand there ground, throw a few bottles and get arrested.

I thought the Italians were good last night. There wasn't much expectation on them, especially from their national media, and they played so well. That volley was superb.

Noah Fence

Sleeper man, wtf is going on with your recent posts? It ain't good I'm telling ya.

Khawaga

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on June 14, 2016

So basically you're saying English hooligans are idiots? Makes sense.

Scallywag

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Scallywag on June 14, 2016

ajjohnstone

Are they really hated more than any other fans? I don't particularly like football fans of any national team, its too male and associated with jingoism and hooliganism for my liking.

Scallywag

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Scallywag on June 14, 2016

Also it was nice of them to give passing mention of the 'industrial action' going on in Paris, although they basically said people were sick of it and needed the football to take there minds of everything.

This is why I hate events like this, it glorifies whatever nation its held in whilst they are screwing people over.

Sleeper

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Sleeper on June 14, 2016

If that's what you get from it, that's what you get from it.

Khawaga

So basically you're saying English hooligans are idiots? Makes sense.

Khawaga

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on June 14, 2016

At least it makes more sense than your stiff upper lip nationalist bollocks.

Schmoopie

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Schmoopie on June 14, 2016

And yet I've been proven correct again. The russian hooligans were fast moving, in and out, and very few arrests. The local french lads again in and out and know the streets, very few arrests. The english, trying to stand there ground, throw a few bottles and get arrested.

English football hooliganism was never the same after Millwall fans started popping pills.

Noah Fence

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on June 14, 2016

Schmoopie

English football hooliganism was never the same after Millwall fans started popping pills.

Same with West Ham. I remember being at Upton Park and watching the thug section all hugging each other. I liked it at the time but now I'm not so sure.

Serge Forward

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on June 14, 2016

It's all bullshit. In my hoolie days, we had a lot more class than these Ingerland knobheads. Young Serge was in this lot somewhere... and the voiceovers were much posher in them days :D

[youtube]KShbjJ5_xws[/youtube]
https://youtu.be/KShbjJ5_xws

Fortunately, I grew up and became an anarchist.

Red Marriott

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Red Marriott on June 14, 2016

sleeper

And yet I've been proven correct again.

No, wrong again - you stood to attention and said;

Yet your "we" of this supposed 'plucky island race' didn't "stand strong and hold our ground" but got battered, gassed, nicked & dispersed on the streets and immediately legged it from the Russians on the terraces.

Noah Fence

7 years 9 months ago

Serge Forward

It's all bullshit. In my hoolie days, we had a lot more class than these Ingerland knobheads. Young Serge was in this lot somewhere... and the voiceovers were much posher in them days :D

[youtube]KShbjJ5_xws[/youtube]
https://youtu.be/KShbjJ5_xws

Fortunately, I grew up and became an anarchist.

Hang on, are you saying you're not English? If so, get the fuck off the forums.

Serge Forward

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on June 14, 2016

Nah mate. Republic of Mancunia.

Noah Fence

7 years 9 months ago

I'll let you off then.

Didn't notice the vid. Stupid new phone won't display embedded videos. Clicked the link and there it was, the seventies. Luverly.

factvalue

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by factvalue on June 14, 2016

Entdinglichung

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Entdinglichung on June 15, 2016

anarchist Iceland?

Schmoopie

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Schmoopie on June 16, 2016

I think we may have written off the English a little prematurely. Major disturbances have been reported in Lille last night.

wojtek

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on June 16, 2016

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/16/england-fans-accused-of-mocking-refugee-children-in-france-as-th/

Schmoopie

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Schmoopie on June 16, 2016

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/16/england-fans-accused-of-mocking-refugee-children-in-france-as-th/

The Daily Telegraph accusing others of mocking refugees. Now that is rich.

Sleeper

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Sleeper on June 16, 2016

As a second generation Welsh immigrant I'll be supporting Wales for now :-)

wojtek

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on June 16, 2016

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!