DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

General strikes and the struggle against austerity in Spain

473 posts / 0 new
Last post
Valeriano Orobó...
Jun 26 2010 19:52

Great contribution. I'll post my mate's info too.

fingers malone's picture
fingers malone
Jun 26 2010 20:14

From Solidaridad Obrera in Madrid

Mobilisation in defence of our agreement

We´re not going to let them steal our wages.

A large general assembly has decided to stand up to this band of shameless ones who want to take 5% of our wages. More than one thousand workers (328 in the morning and 694 in the evening) have voted, almost unanimously, for the strikes on the 28th, 29th and 30th of June. In the debates it has been made clear that we are not going to stay quiet while they attack us. The company and the local and central government have to understand that nothing will be as before if these attacks go ahead.

The Assembly has decided to carry out the strike on the 28th legally, complying with the servicios minimos, but if the Madrid council passes the decree breaking our collective agreement, signed exactly a year ago, we will also break the baraja (not in dictionary!) and the strike will be total, with a sit in in our local from that night on. (tr. I think that´s what it says)
We are not mucking about, or making a show, we are in this together for our collective agreement, for the bread of our families. And this time we will be watching the intermediaries to see if they are with us the workers as they should be, or with those who want to steal from our wages. From now on take note that all the metro workers are angry with this attempted theft and we want to see everybody on the same side of the barricade.
For now, we are going to go en masse in thursday 24th to protest outside the Madrid council in Vallecas where they will "legalise" the theft from our wages. We are going to shout that our wages belong to our families and we will defend them tooth and nail. We will not be alone, our brother unions will be there, but we should not be missing a single metro worker, there are no excuses for not going, and if you can bring your family, all the better. We will be going on strike on the 28th, 29th and 30th of June.
The best thing they can do is withdraw these measures. They don´t know who they are messing with. We go forward, comrades, unions and workers, like a pinecone and all for one.
Solidad Obrera 17th of June

I cut this just a bit.
Incontrolado, esto es buenisimo, si me mandas mas asi traduzco todo que puedo.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jun 26 2010 23:05

thanks for the translation.

For reference for other readers, the union solidad obrera is a split from one of the anarcho syndicalist unions, either cgt or cnt - cgt i believe.

fingers malone's picture
fingers malone
Jun 27 2010 10:10

Yes, split from the CGT in 1990.

thegonzokid's picture
thegonzokid
Jun 27 2010 17:02
fingers malone wrote:
Yes, split from the CGT in 1990.

Any idea why?

thegonzokid's picture
thegonzokid
Jun 27 2010 17:04

Ah, just found the answer on Wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solidaridad_Obrera_(union)

fingers malone's picture
fingers malone
Jun 28 2010 16:52

100% on strike.

The collective agreement of the metro is well defended.

28th of June, first day of the strike in defence of the collective agreement. The response to the strike has been bigger than ever: TOTAL. Not one scab, from neither the drivers nor in the stations or the offices: one hundred percent of the workers are on strike. Only a few intermediary managers, bosses and co-ordinators...
We also have to congratulate ourselves, for the total support for the strike amongst the auxiliaries and inspectors in Puesto Mando and a very high level in Campo de las Naciones and Cristalia. The only failure has been in Cavanilles where, in spite of everything, the support for the strike has been at the highest ever level.

Today our future is decided, the Madrid council approves the decree which destroys our collective agreement. Our responsibility is to carry out the strike properly, for everybody to be present at the demonstration at seven, so that the Countess of Murillo and the President of the Region see us from their offices. At nine we will meet for a general assembly in Plaza Castilla to decide how we are going to carry out the total strikes of the 29th and 30th if in the end they pass the decree breaking our collective agreement.

The company has been putting out reports saying that the strikes after the first of July are only called by Solidaridad Obrera, when the facts are that Solidaridad has legalised the indefinite strike with the unanimous support of all the unions in the strike commitee. This strike call is in place to be used if it is necessary and if the strike is approved by the assemblies which will take place on the 29th and 30th in Plaza Castilla.

Every day we recieve more support and solidarity from outside the dispute. Unions, collectives, associations of neighbours... have turned out to show their support, and have distributed thousands of leaflets on different metro lines, signed by "users in solidarity with the metro workers" in which they call for the general public to support the metro workers´ strike.

Madrid, 28th of June 2010
Solidaridad Obrera

http://solidaridadobrera.org/

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jun 28 2010 17:38

hi, thanks for translating that. Can I confirm a couple of things:
- when they say the strike was complete, does that mean complete, but excluding the 70% minimum service?
- also when they say it was complete with no scabs, does that only mean that no union members scabbed, or no workers at all?

incontrolado
Jun 29 2010 11:43

Yesterday's demonstration Pictures

Valeriano Orobó...
Jun 29 2010 17:02
Steven. wrote:
hi, thanks for translating that. Can I confirm a couple of things:
- when they say the strike was complete, does that mean complete, but excluding the 70% minimum service?
- also when they say it was complete with no scabs, does that only mean that no union members scabbed, or no workers at all?

Don't know about the scabs but the completeness of the strike includes the fact that there are no "servicios mínimos", yes. Actually the blonde shite that rules Madrid was mad about it today on the news.

Well done, Madrid comrades. A breath of fresh air at last. I hope it's just the beginning.

incontrolado
Jun 29 2010 22:38

Strike in the Basque Country

LeftResistance's picture
LeftResistance
Jun 30 2010 00:50
incontrolado wrote:

Is that a friggin' shotgun? Or a rubber bullet gun?

jesuithitsquad's picture
jesuithitsquad
Jun 30 2010 02:05

And what's up with the uniforms?

Thanks a million for the updates!

Valeriano Orobó...
Jun 30 2010 07:15
jesuithitsquad wrote:
And what's up with the uniforms?

Thanks a million for the updates!

It's the Ertzaintza, literally the "people's guard", the (in this case, riot) police force of the basque country.

fingers malone's picture
fingers malone
Jun 30 2010 10:55

Hi, I´m sorry, I got sent loads of info yesterday but I couldn´t log on to libcom so I didn´t see it. I can´t translate it all right now but here´s a summary:

Tuesday´s reports:

The decision was made in the assembly to keep on with the strike after Monday and to make it a total strike ie. no servicios minimos

The workers decided that the only people who will work are the maintenance crews.

Only two trains left stations in the whole morning, support for the strike was very strong.

Pickets went into the stations to stop servicios minimos, only letting in maintenance workers.

In Estadio Olimpico station pickets stopped scabs from entering. In Muevos Ministerios pickets closed the personnel entrance, stopping the service from running.

In Cuatro caminos one scab got to work after the police constantly pushed aside the pickets.

Eventually the local government gave up as the strike was a massive success, and closed the metro stations.

Steven, to clarify: If I have it right, on Monday the strike was on but respecting servicios minimos (and there were extra buses and trains laid on) but Tuesday and today the strike is total with no servicios minimos.

fingers malone's picture
fingers malone
Jun 30 2010 11:11

The riot police were trying to open the line that goes from the airport to the centre of Madrid but they couldn´t. There has been a massive media response against the strike. The company say they are sending out "expedientes" against workers who didn´t carry out servicions minimos. They are trying to threaten reserve drivers into working.

There is a train strike on in Barcelona.

This internet cafe is almost impossible to use, when I finish work I will do a better job of this.

And somebody tell me how to translate expedientes.

fingers malone's picture
fingers malone
Jun 30 2010 11:16

It´s Catalonia, not just Barcelona.
Apparently they are not carrying out servicios minimos there either.

Valeriano Orobó...
Jun 30 2010 12:40
fingers malone wrote:

And somebody tell me how to translate expedientes.

"Le abrieron expediente" = disciplinary action was taken against him

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Jun 30 2010 14:23

some videos from Euskadi:

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJal7R6DtPk
* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Q5bEUl8kI
* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFqHvsf4H0w (CGT)
* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfx8i-F-gsw

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jun 30 2010 18:21

nice one, Barcelona and Madrid, fuck the law!

grupo_ruptura
Jun 30 2010 18:32

First of all, sorry about my english...

In the assemby of this morning the "Strike Committe" (formed by representants the five unions in Metro) has proposed, ans it has been voted by the assemblie, to go on with the strike this thursday and this friday, obeying the "servicios minimos" both days. The strike will be temporarily called of the weekend and the monday, as the Strike Comitte consider that its impact would be minimal. Some workers wanted to keep with the strike all the weekend as the Gay Pride Parade is going to take place (I think is one of the greatest in the world), but finally the proposal of the comiitte has been approbed by majority vote. The committe has presented its proposal as a way to give a break to the "people of Madrid", and to try to gain the "public opinion". Actually the tuesday was really a chaos, and the media coverage has been huge, with the main newspapers making real time coverage of the strike and the circulatory chaos (even the assembly of this morning has been televised on real time by the spanish CNN!!!)

This monday all the Metro workers are called to an assembly to decide what they are going to do the rest of the week.... There are two conditions:

-Keeping the collective agreement (no wage reductions)
-not disciplinary actions ("expedientes") and no fired, dismissed people

If these conditions are not fullfilled by monday, quite probably the strike will go on indefinitely... (and they will have to decide if they respect or not the minimum services)

Valeriano Orobó...
Jun 30 2010 19:33

Will see how it goes. All my support for their decission. Servicios mínimos are gonna be the sticking point immediately and in years to come. Let's hope the strike to spread .

fingers malone's picture
fingers malone
Jun 30 2010 21:44

Can anyone in the Basque country give us an update on how the strike went there?

And thanks a lot and welcome to our new posters.

fingers malone's picture
fingers malone
Jun 30 2010 21:57

More news... 40 or 50 people occupied the headquarters of Formento del Trabajo in Barcelona (I think that´s an association of big employers & businesses) in support of the metro strike in Madrid.

fingers malone's picture
fingers malone
Jul 1 2010 14:39

More updates from Madrid.

Today and tomorrow the strike is on but with servicios minimos. At the weekend the strike will be temporarily suspended.

400 workers have been sent disciplinary proceedings for not complying with servicios minimos. On Monday the workers will decide whether to go for indefinite strike and whether or not to comply with servicios minimos, which will be a crucial moment for the strike. The workers had said earlier that they would respond if disciplinary action was taken.

Six trains had to be taken out of action after the mechanism which controls the doors had allegedly been sabotaged.

The newspapers are suggesting that the metro could be militarised which happened before during a strike in 76.

muchas gracias por todos los updates.

incontrolado
Jul 1 2010 16:05

Other video from Euskadi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULxzuayc0i4&feature=player_embedded

blackandred1936's picture
blackandred1936
Jul 1 2010 16:55
incontrolado wrote:
Other video from Euskadi

Jesus Christ... the first half of the video was just the police clubbing the old folks. What a bunch of arseholes!!

By the way, the police look like something out of a bad sci-fi dystopia movie.

Thanks for the updates from fingers and everyone else.

Salud

tsi
Jul 1 2010 17:03
blackandred1936 wrote:
incontrolado wrote:
Other video from Euskadi

Jesus Christ... the first half of the video was just the police clubbing the old folks. What a bunch of arseholes!!

No kidding. I don't think there's a bad enough word in the english language to describe those pricks.

Good luck to the striking workers!!!!

Valeriano Orobó...
Jul 1 2010 17:25
incontrolado wrote:
Other video from Euskadi

Hijos de puta

Caiman del Barrio
Jul 1 2010 20:35

Cono...cuales policias fueron esas? Estatales?