IWW and Bangladesh

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Samotnaf
Aug 8 2010 22:04
IWW and Bangladesh

Just wondered what the IWW thought of this, posted by Ret Marut over 2 days ago:

Quote:
Considering that "The US section of the Industrial Workers of the World has cultivated links with the NGWF - see comments below article here: [url] http://libcom.org/history/video-machinists-against-machine-bangladeshi-garment-workers-struggles [/url] and that these links seem quite close and long term, close enough to encourage them to produce an NGWF banner claiming
Quote:
"Workers of the World Unite
Stop unfair judicial power towards the workers and unions
- withdraw the unfair order of banning the FAU..."

Yet it is reported that, as thousands of garment workers reject the minimum wage, fight the police and state repression - and in the midst of raids on union offices and arrests of union leaders who refuse to condone the miserable wage offer - the NGWF leader is happy to publicly accept the wage deal, to condemn workers' violence and (like a good union bureaucrat) to call for the arrest of workers who actively oppose the deal. The stupid claim that workers aren't involved is a lie, as proved by numerous daily media and police reports of worker unrest and arrests;

Quote:
Emerging from a tripartite meeting, held at Bangladesh Garments Manufacturing and Exporters’ Association building late in the evening, National Garments Workers’ Federation convenor Amirul Huq Amin said they did not differ with the new wage structure. [...]
‘The workers are not involved in the on-going violence in the apparel industry,’ Amirul Huq told reporters after the meeting. He called for identifying and punishing those involved in the recent incidents of violence. http://www.newagebd.com/2010/aug/02/front.html#3.

Even if the NGWF thought it tactically best to accept the deal, they at least had the option to stay silent rather than make such disgusting public statements calling for repression. But it seems that - in the hope of securing a greater role for unions - showing the government what good cops they can be is more important. Assuming the report is accurate, I'm curious to know the views of Wobblies on this behaviour of their allies.

syndicalist
Aug 8 2010 22:55

Sorry, I can't give a Wobbly perspective on this, I'm not one. I am close enough (or have been) to this situation to have inter-acted with some of the Wobblies most deeply involved with anti-sweatshop activities, including the NGWF.

It is my take that those Wobs supporting the NGWF are a mixed bag politically. They seek to
help raise the workers standards, not create revolution. Perhaps there's something to be said about that, but that's not my bag here. Unless folks are in the same ideological frame of mind or organization, allies are allies and are prone to their own opinions....and mistakes. Evcen in reolutuionary internationals tactical judgements by some affiliates create issues for others.

As someone who helped to initiate contact with the NGWF back in the 1990s, all I can say is that they have evolved over the years. As an anarcho-syndicalist I am for revolutionary unions, the NGWF had some basis of that years ago. This trend did not continue and they are obviously now trying to be the main union and "broker."

Samotnaf
Aug 9 2010 03:56

Trying to get people to grass up workers rightly exploding against their bosses isn't merely a question of seeking

Quote:
to
help raise the workers standards, not create revolution

is it? It's not even reformist - it's overtly policing and not helping raise workers standards.

syndicalist
Aug 9 2010 21:43
Samotnaf wrote:
Trying to get people to grass up workers rightly exploding against their bosses isn't merely a question of seeking
Quote:
to
help raise the workers standards, not create revolution

is it? It's not even reformist - it's overtly policing and not helping raise workers standards.

Sadly, often times they both go hand in hand.