Jr. doc's strike

Submitted by Chilli Sauce on January 12, 2016

Any first-hand reports from medical workers, picket line interviews, etc?

The gov't is reporting 10,000 out of 26,000 Jr. doctors came in today, although that sounds awfully high given the strength of the strike vote. Anyone have thoughts on more accurate numbers?

Jim

8 years 3 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Jim on January 12, 2016

That may be true due to the staffing levels although I expect it's not. While they were striking they were basically providing the same level of service as they would on Christmas Day.

jolasmo

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by jolasmo on January 12, 2016

Given that it wasn't an all-out strike, plus the strike vote only represents doctors who are BMA members, even the figures the government are reporting represent a pretty solid action for a group of workers who, in many cases, will be striking for the first time in their lives. Given that these are the figures the government are reporting, the actual numbers may be substantially better than this.

~J.

Steven.

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on January 12, 2016

jolasmo

Given that it wasn't an all-out strike, plus the strike vote only represents doctors who are BMA members, even the figures the government are reporting represent a pretty solid action for a group of workers who, in many cases, will be striking for the first time in their lives. Given that these are the figures the government are reporting, the actual numbers may be substantially better than this.

~J.

yeah this is exactly right. It was only junior doctors in nonemergency roles striking, so there would always be a sizeable number in. And of course they aren't all in the BMA.

I visited a couple of picket lines today in London. They were a bit cold by the evening, but determined and said they were very grateful for the public support.

fingers malone

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by fingers malone on January 12, 2016

I went to my nearest picket, it was good fun. Loads of supporters, lots of other public sector workers, I recognised my local librarian, another workmate of mine turned up. Hospital workers who weren't on strike, nurses and other workers, came out in their breaks and stood on the picket line (in thin uniform with no jumpers on- we were all shivering in sympathy.) Lots of interesting talking with pickets and other NHS workers, comparing working conditions etc. Every single bus going passed beeped their horn, drivers waving. A lot of patients coming out of the hospital saying things like 'full support!' which was nice.

ajjohnstone

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by ajjohnstone on January 13, 2016

By 2025 the Department of Health has estimated there will be 27,000 more doctors than currently working in the NHS. It has already cut training numbers this year [2013] and we know that by 2020, according to the Centre for Workforce Intelligence there will be 2,000 more consultants than jobs in the NHS. These statistics could embolden employers to risk a raid on the junior doctors’ contract.

http://www.hsj.co.uk/Journals/2013/01/15/u/m/x/briefing-junior-doctors-contracts.pdf