Samotnaf
Oct 5 2010 04:28

Also here.

Quote:
me thinking British school kids weren't as up for it as the French

See this.

gypsy
Oct 5 2010 07:08

Haha, looks like the 'experts' at Canterbury Christ Church University who sponsor this academy fucked up. laugh out loud

gypsy
Oct 5 2010 07:10
Tommy Ascaso wrote:
I wonder what connection the guy outside that got nicked had to it? That did sound a bit odd.

heard samotnaf came over on the ferry the same day. coincidence? wink

Samotnaf
Oct 5 2010 08:45

From this again: "Jack Dash claimed the protest was a last resort." - he's risen again! Gives a kind of twist to the term " the Great Leveller".

A ferry, allybaba, would take me a couple of days from where I am - no, I took a tardis just a couple of hours ago, went back in time and got nicked; but they had to release me because I had an alibi - since i was in the South of France at the time, and everyone knows you can't be in 2 places at once (except Jack Dash).

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Oct 5 2010 14:19
Quote:
there was me thinking British school kids weren't as up for it as the French.

Don't forget this;
http://libcom.org/history/march-2003-schoolkids-against-iraqi-war

fidel gastro
Oct 5 2010 16:21

Nice to see a Kent topic on here smile

Samotnaf
Oct 5 2010 18:21

Red Marriott:

I had forgotten, in fact.
But social movements in schools used to be fairly common - Schools Action Unions at the end of the 60s (some aspects looked at as part of this, about a third of the way into the text), early 70s (national SAU strike with kids rioting a bit in London's West End); schoolkids supporting the miners strike; a big movement of schoolkids in Yorkshire, partly influenced by The Sheffield Anarchist, partly by Militant, just after the strike, etc. This, in a leaflet handed out at the Anarchist Bookfair in October 1997, mentions that

Quote:
"after a kids' riot at a Battersea school a teacher told me, "The kids were doing what all of us teachers wanted but were too scared to do".

and also mentions a

Quote:
recent riot in a school in Canterbury

There's a lot history that gets forgotten.

fingers malone's picture
fingers malone
Oct 5 2010 21:21

The day the war started there was supposed to be a school kids demo at mid day outside Hackney town hall, I went along at twelve, no-one there, very pissed off I went in the library for a bit, came out, square was packed with school kids, we headed to Dalston as people said we could meet up with stokey kids there, we went down Graham Road, heard a lot of noise, it was Stoke Newington school coming UP Graham Road looking for us! Ran towards them shouting, like in a film. Went to Central London walking en mass. Going in road, blocking traffic, people sticking their hands out of car windows to give us high fives. Kids didn´t know way to parliament, lucky some of us outside agitators were there. Get to parliament sq, packed out with school kids. Bump into mum´s friend, who is exhilarated, says they have walked from Mile End with a load of kids including my old school shouting one two three four, we don`t want your fucking war, says kids also didn´t know way to parliament and what the fuck´s the matter with them, they never leave the east end or what? I agree, not that I know the way anywhere, then or now.
Stay in square till three am, freezing to death, someone lends me jumper, at about eight crowd is massive, people turning up after work, crowd tries to break through police lines, can´t remember why, I break through, realise I´ve broken through on my own, am now surrounded by cops, shit a brick. Nothing happens though. Bump into basically everyone I know in the square at some point this day.
Go home at three am. Still fondly remember schoolkids demo.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Oct 6 2010 00:20

It might be handy to remember that while the walkouts and demos by schoolkids in France there is quite often a strong element of agitation by teachers who are unwilling or unable to strike effectively.
there are also quite a few cases of large groups of school kids getting the shit beaten out of them because they haven't been to demos and have no idea how to deal with the police. Also younger kids tend to let their bravado take them further when faced with riot police than older heads and they consequently take a beating.

Hughes's picture
Hughes
Nov 4 2010 15:07

Speaking of which, does anyone know where I can watch this online? I've never actually seen it.

(Preferably some place on the internet that's not too sketchy as I'll be watching it from the public library.)

gypsy
Nov 4 2010 15:25
Hughes wrote:

Speaking of which, does anyone know where I can watch this online? I've never actually seen it.

(Preferably some place on the internet that's not too sketchy as I'll be watching it from the public library.)

Yeah Hughes, it should be on here-

http://www.christiebooks.com/fmd.html

Quite alot of anarchist stuff/themed stuff on his site.

LBird
Nov 4 2010 15:35

"If...."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqwyiFDnhXo&feature=related