Local Council Cut backs

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Spikymike
Nov 15 2009 12:04
Local Council Cut backs

We know all the main political parties in the UK are promising pain for public sector workers after the next election but some of that is happening now as we have seen in Education for example.

In Manchester Council housing workers working with the private sector have seen their numbers reduced over the last year or two following reductions in specific government funding streams and are now faced with a major restructuring involving:
reduction in jobs of up to a third, complete rewrite of all job descriptions (much more generic in character), removal of some critical gradings, all workers to re-apply for the new jobs, middle managers subjected to 'reorientation' interviews (to ensure they are on board for the changes and weed out troublesome types).

In theory the Council still has a 'no reduncancy policy' (which however means people being sqeezed into unsuitable jobs and eventually reduced wages) but this will now inevitably come under pressure.

Even though I work in this sector I have heard absolutely nothing about all this from Unison ( have had to dig out info' from friends) and so far there is no sign of any collective response.

Cuts in this and other departments are being slid through one by one with the connivance of the union as with other problems around 'single status'.

I will try to find out more but I suspect this section of workers in other local councils must be facing similar problems - it would be useful to know more from other parts of the country?

Spikymike
Nov 28 2009 17:53

Some of the above is the result of funding under the Housing Market Renewal government initiative drying up well before its original programme end date and to other urban programmes winding down. It might also reflect advance preparation to expected further cuts after the election.

Must be something similar happening in other cities in the major urban connurbatuions?

The formal consultation with the unions has started now but no meetings organised.

I have been trying to stir up individuals affected by it but nothing so far.

ChrissyBoy's picture
ChrissyBoy
Dec 6 2009 16:17

There's going to be big cutbacks in Stoke-on-Trent as well, according to the local paper:

"More than £10 million of cutbacks to adult social care, health and community services;

Slashing regeneration spending by £9.6 million;

Cutting housing and neighbourhood services by £7.6 million;

Saving £6.6 million from children's services."

(http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/news/163-45M-CUTS-YEARS/article-1578191-detail/article.html)

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 7 2009 12:17

big cuts are coming in my council - asupposed budget gap has been discovered, on top of the proposed cuts in 2011. We are being warned of cuts of around 20% across the board - although it's not clear on what timetable that will be (i.e. in one year or in three years etc)

Sorry for not responding to this thread earlier, I will do properly shortly...

vanilla.ice.baby
Dec 7 2009 14:17

Newcastle council will have a fight on their hands if they try too much as the local Unison branch is pretty strong and leftwing.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 7 2009 16:40
Jack wrote:
I can't think about Newcastle UNISON without getting rage filled visions of that utter cunt Yunis Baksch.

what do you mean by that?

It seems completely appalling the way he has been witch hunted. But maybe a new thread should be started about that.

vanilla.ice.baby
Dec 7 2009 17:32

He is no longer involved with Unison up here thank fuck.

He bullied my partner.

Farce's picture
Farce
Dec 9 2009 15:05

I knew Yunus back in my trot days. I'm glad I never really got on the wrong side of him. Does anyone know how far him being drummed out of UNISON was a straightforward witchhunt by the right (which is how it looked from where I was) vs a justified response to charges of harrassment and the like?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 9 2009 20:57

farce, do you understand the concept of not derailing a thread?

Managers in my department, echoing what is being hinted at Council wide, been told to identify savings of 20%. Scary shit.

vanilla.ice.baby
Dec 11 2009 12:20
Farce wrote:
I knew Yunus back in my trot days. I'm glad I never really got on the wrong side of him. Does anyone know how far him being drummed out of UNISON was a straightforward witchhunt by the right (which is how it looked from where I was) vs a justified response to charges of harrassment and the like?

I don't think there was a witch hunt against him, I think by being a cunt, he gave the right a chance to get him, and they cack handedly (they used allegations by a racist, rather than another one of his victims - doh!) actually seized the opportunity, and because he was a cunt, not enough people were willing (or able, some people are afraid to be in the same room as him) to support him so he lost. The right were not particularly well organised but the left were divided and weak because of his shenanigans. The local left are better off without him, he is now full time SWP organiser which has already caused ructions locally.

martinh
Dec 12 2009 22:56

I work for a supplier to a local authority. We are having cuts next year to show the council we can "share their pain". Not sure what this is likely to mean yet, though .

The work we do is being retendered soon in "new and innovative ways", which are a further way of depressing costs, by cutting jobs. The previous tender (now withdrawn) looked at how flexible any suppliers could be in passing on cost savings if the number of people supplied (i.e. council workers) was to fall by 10 or 20%. Councils appear to have woken up to the fact that tendering means having less control over costs and are trying to re-assert it. I know of others who work for council contractors and the effects are similar.

Regards,

Martin

isawamouse
Dec 14 2009 15:44

glasgow city council plan 600 job cuts next year.