4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Aug 18 2006 08:12
More NHS Cuts?

BBC Report
Interesting points:

> apparently the plan is to centralise A&E into regional 'super centres' (the out of town superstore for health?)
> the shocking NHS deficit that makes these drastic measures neccesary stands at, gasp, £500 million last year! ID cards are estimated to cost £550m (government) to £1bn (lowest independent estimate) a year to operate. As of March last year the Iraq war was costing £1.5bn a year according to the MoD, while Britain's new Eurofighter fleet, specifically designed to combat the Soviet menace costs at least £16bn. Hmmm. There's obviously no choice but to attack the social wage roll eyes

Is this something that can be organised around? Its going to piss a lot of people off, both NHS workers and general public, and its a class issue since most of the bourgoisie i know have private health insurance ...

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Aug 18 2006 18:14

Tis actually more like 900m, according to the new quarterly finance report, down from 1.2bn folowing the first round of cuts. This is mainly to clear the backlog. The deficit is yearly btw, not just one debt. Regardless though, totally agree with your point, and don't forget the massive costs of ID!

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Aug 18 2006 18:39

yeah i realise the NHS deficit is annual, so are the ID and Iraq war costs i quoted. Even at 900m its dwarfed by other costs which make a mockery of the supposed 'neccessity' for cuts.

Monbiot's old book (Captive State) is pretty good on PFI, i suspect you've already come across it with Freedom and all.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Aug 28 2006 06:35

presumably a typo, but the BBC reports that 27,000 people demonstrated in cornwall recently over nhs cuts. even if that's 2,700 thats pretty big for a local demo ...