Greece unrest updates thread

220 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sotev
Dec 12 2008 21:17

ASOEE. ATHENS UNIVERSITY OF ECONOMICS AND BUSINESS
the occupation is comprised out of students, workers, jobless, radicals, immigrants etc etc.
GSEE-ADEDY. reformist national unions.

==============
Initiative from inside
REALITY IS AN ILLUSION.
NORMALITY IS BEYOND US.

During the last days we live in a constant contradiction. Work during the mornings, "insurrection" in the nights. An insurrection triggered by the cold blood murder of Alexis Grigoropoulos by the police. The murder and the explosion of the reactions that followed were not accidental events. It was the catalyst that brought to the fore a situation whose conditions were formed some time ago.

These conditions have much to do with the economic situation, the insurance deregulation, the education reforms and the intesification of our lives in every aspect, the plundering of our space and time. And it's not just these conditions. The era of the first victories of the workers' movement isn't much different from our experiences, with the actual annulment of basic work rights, the curtailment of the personal freedoms, the attempt to turn society into a "fragmented puzzle" of insecurity, confusion, terror-hysteria and repression. The working rights of yesterday are becoming object of dispute for today's struggles.

We are living in an era of intesification of production, of elastic working conditions, the rejection of the collective spirit, and the glorification of the individualism in every level. The loss of the workers' identity inside the production process is the logical outcome of the always intesifying demand of the boss for a worker-"chameleon", that adapts with ease in any condition of wage exploitation. An exploitation that doesn't shrink from legalizing workers who are in reality rented, from throwing the working force into a precarious workers' market. The more extreme part of this uninsured work is atlarge the immigrants.

Simultaneously, as workers we are called to pay for the economic crisis. A crisis that is mostly caused by our inability to exert a shining consuming behaviour, while remaining docile to the commands of the bosses, and contented with crumblings of the basic wage. And it's not just that. Not only do they steal our working power, they overwhelm us with tax-plundering to cover the deficits of a national budget that does not serve the interests of the workers. And while the socially necessery working time is on the wane, our working hours keeping growing up in direct proportion to the rhythm that a stratum on the margins of society is growing and reproducing -- the jobless. To summarize, to solidify the relationships of exploiters-exploited the illusion of a "common interest" is created, while in reality we all work for the interest of the boss.

The title of our text is not accidental. From the ashes of last days' destructive spontaneity, we recognize the power of those "from below" to define the public sphere and create the social frame in which to function. We are not just the producers of the social wealth, we are the social wealth itself. We are the ones who keep the cohesion in society and ensure its viability. As we acquire awareness of our power, we are becoming more dangerous than ever.

We propose:

- immediate blocking of the production process.

- social wages regardless of occupation, to live in decency, and to annul the separations promoted by the State and the Capital.

- social insurance for all

- creation of poles of self-organized collective struggle in every working sector.

- Against the bureaucratic syndicalism of the state "guild" that is GSEE-ADEDY. Bring it down!

LETS BUILD TODAY THE WORLD OF TOMORROW

fellow precarious workers from the occupied ASOEE
=============

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 12 2008 14:19

Are the workers there workers at the University? Or do you just mean they are workers elsewhere who attend the assembly there?

Are there some workers or some workplaces that didn't go back to work after the general strike?

Sotev
Dec 12 2008 14:25

Don't really know, I guess workers from many places. It's not a text from the assembly, it's an initiative

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 12 2008 15:26

A poster on urban 75 has compiled a list of international solidarity actions. We can tidy it up and add some more information, then put it in the library:
* Riots in Denmark with 32 arrested

* Bomb attack at a police departmnet at Mexico city

* Petro bomb attack at the yard of the greek embassy in Mosque, as a result a fire started

* Solidarity demo in Poznan (I spell it correctly ?) and attack at the greek consulate at Warsaw.

* Embassy take over in London, solidarity gathering in Newcastle, a demo in Brighton

* Solidarity actions at the greek consulate in Glasgow and a demo in Endiburg
80 people tried to take over the greek embassy in Paris

* A demo in holland, and a solidarity gathering outside a police department

* Attack at the policemen union building at solidarity gathering outside the greek consulate at Brussels in Belgium

* Demo outside the greek embassy in Sweden,

* Solidarity demo should take place today in Austria

* Attack at the greek consulate in Instabul. The front of the building was painted red.

* A demo with arrested demonstrators in Cyprus

* Take over of the greek embassy building in Sofia in Bulgaria

* Demo and road take over in Bologne in Italy

* Demo outside the greek consulate in Milan, Italy

* Take over of the greek consulate and the Institute of greek politism in Venice

* Demo outside the greek embassy in Rome and demos in Florence, Tourine and Naples

* Demo and attack at a greek tourist company office in Madrid in Spain

* Demo in Barcelona

* Take over of greek embassy in Berlin and 2 demos.. a big solidarity demo is being organized

* Demo of 150 people at Rotstock

* 2 demos for a take over in Hamburg

* Demo with riots in Frankfurt

* Attack at the greek consulate in New York

* Demo outside the greek embassy in Wasinghton

* Picket outside the greek embassy in Dublin Ireland

* The front walls of the greek embassy in Zagreb gets full of grafitty

* Demo of 70 people outside the greek consulate in Switzerland

* Demo in San Fransisco

* Solidarity messages from Chile

* Around 50 anarchists in rome went on a rampage after a demo at the greek consulate. Police cars were attacked, banks smashed, bins put on fire...

* 50 demonstrate in Helsinki

* Solidarity demonstration in Olympia, Washington. Bank of America windows broken

* demonstration outside Greek consulate in Montréal. Rally at site of killing of Canadian youth by police

Alf's picture
Alf
Dec 12 2008 16:50

Iron Column: As a matter of fact I think it is a mistake to mix up the current movement in Greece with the riots in France (not the anti-CPE movement) because it is evident that what's happening in Greece is a much wider and more significant movement which has the capacity to engender a very different kind of self-organisation and politicisation. The French riots were essentially restricted to a kind of blind rage, and tended to isolate the 'rioters' from the population whose own cars, schools etc were being attacked. In Greece the young people on the streets seem to be expressing a far more widespread anger. The information coming through about assemblies and attempts to unite different sectors shows an expansive tendency which I don't think existed in the French 'urban riots' (unlike the anti-CPE movement).

Not every confrontation with the cops can be reduced to a riot and can indeed be a moment when people unite and experience solidarity in practice. On the other hand the danger that the movement will burn itself out in endless clashes with the police (and/or aimless destruction) is surely very real. The only way the movement could go onto a higher level would be through achieving higher level of organisation and reflection on its aims.

Boris Badenov
Dec 12 2008 20:50
Alf wrote:
On the other hand the danger that the movement will burn itself out in endless clashes with the police (and/or aimless destruction) is surely very real.

Surely the cops know that as well which is why they continue to provoke the protesters hoping to deflect their energies from any effort of organizing. Based on what I've read here and in other places, the class-based nature of these conflict is becoming more and more apparent; obviously the Greek authorities will try their very best to keep this a "hooligans vs. coppers" type thing, because that tends to hide the class element of the struggle. The "movement" is not not going to burn itself out; it will be actively destroyed by the agents of the state either through divide et impera or just sheer brutality.
I doubt most of these people have the time to reflect on what their true aims might be when they are continually assaulted by the organs of the state on all possible fronts.

Alf's picture
Alf
Dec 12 2008 23:13

Good point Vlad - the state is actively engaged in destroying the movement - using all sorts of means, outright repression, provocation ( including the use of agents provocateurs, examined on this blog: http://tapesgoneloose.blogspot.com/), but also the electoral parties and the unions. On the last point, I have the impression that the unions kept the 'general strike' the other day quite well controlled (eg, separate demos between the striking workers and students in Athens). Steven's question about whether people stayed on strike was very relevant for ascertaining the possbilities of the movement incorporating the wage workers.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 13 2008 00:48

Added some more international solidarity actions, above.

Also saw this article, has some interesting info about this upheaval and its relation to social networking sites etc. Social networking sites, particularly myspace, have been mentioned before in the media, some schools walkouts in the US IIRC.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/social_network/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=212500157&subSection=All+Stories

One of the facebook pages dedicated to the kid now has over 125,000 members:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=62100298568&ref=mf

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 13 2008 01:12
Sotev wrote:
Don't really know, I guess workers from many places. It's not a text from the assembly, it's an initiative

Okay, so do you know anything about the initiative, is it a new thing? And sorry if I'm missing something, but if they don't have assemblies there then what is the connection with the ASOEE? Apologies for the misunderstanding, just trying to clarify

Sotev
Dec 13 2008 02:15
Steven. wrote:
Sotev wrote:

Okay, so do you know anything about the initiative, is it a new thing? And sorry if I'm missing something, but if they don't have assemblies there then what is the connection with the ASOEE? Apologies for the misunderstanding, just trying to clarify

I guess it's just an initiative, ie. some people writing and distributing a leaflet, an impromptu thing. It's a nice text. The connection with the ASOEE occupation? the leaflet came from people engaged in the occupation. An occupation can have various groups/comittees etc. There is an ASOEE-assembly , but it's not like every single leaflet etc has to be 'voted'. If you like it, you take it and you photocopy it. Assemblies are for actions and coordination mostly. I don't know the specifics, and i don't think they are important. As I said, we don't really do democracy anymore.

25 police stations got attacked yesterday by high school students.

A 2nd non-violent, propaganda demonstration to some prole districts was organized in thessaloniki, called by the open assembly. People from the street kept joining the demo. Under rain, it was a success: no responses to the police provocations. The local office of the ruling party was smashed, along with the local office of an far-right party (both actions are relatively low-profile by the current standards, so no clash with police). I like the revolutionary discipline, even junkies and other lumpen elements (welcomed in the actions ofcourse!) respect it now.

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Dec 13 2008 02:58

Steven - your list of soli actions misses out the Melbourne graffiti / flag-raising, and the Wellington embassy demo, that I posted on the previous page. Also, today there is a solidarity demo in Melbourne (may have just finished?) - will post details here when I see them.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 13 2008 04:46

There is a live video feed of events in Athens here:
http://mfile.akamai.com/61609/live/reflector:50061.asx?prop=e

New day of updates here:
http://libcom.org/library/greek-riots-eyewitness-reports-12-december-2008

baboon
Dec 13 2008 12:16

In response to Iron Column: I tend to agree with some of your criticism of the position I expressed above. It was precipitous and too hasty. There is a real weight to this movement and I should have looked at its development in more depth.
I've said elsewhere that the economic meltdown carries the possibilities of major upheavals against the state particularly, in the first instance, in the generally "weaker" economies. We've seen small but significant confrontations between workers and the police in Iceland, reportedly confrontations in Hungary and now, on another scale, Greece. It will be interesting to see how the trade unions are acting and will act.

I still want to underline the role of youth: unemployment facing youngsters from university, college and schools at the same time as their older generations face job cuts, economic degradation and the reduction and loss of their pensions.
I tend to agree with the position of Vlad above. I would defend the general assemblies that were thrown up and open to everyone in the anti-CPE struggle in France 2006. And I would clearly differentiate the current upheaval in Greece from the self-destructive outbursts of French youth in the "suburbs".

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Dec 13 2008 13:00

The French 'uprising' was ultimately self-destructive. It put hundreds of young men in prison, it saw government buildings destroyed which in the case of police stations isn't too much of a problem but the loss of libraries, school benefit offices etc directly worsened living conditions (before anyone has a go at me if you're on benefits then not having an office to go to directly affects your life). The danger of opening up assemblies is that they can end up populated by groups of people who have little connection to the struggle and little interest in it. For example the drunken anarchist punks who showed up at demos who had no real interest beyond rucking with the police.
Also although banlieue riots are pretty much a yearly event in 2007 there was a deliberate policy of confrontation which brought Sarkozy into power.
Just because the police seem to be taking a beating doesn't mean that the state is losing or will lose.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 13 2008 14:42

From the occupied Polytechnic:

Quote:
20/12/2008 - global resistance day against state murders

Today in the general assembly of the taken over Polytechnic building was decided to nominate, Saturday 20 of December 2008, as a european and global day of resistance to state murders, in the memory of all the youth, immigrants and activists that have been murdered by the state. In memory of Carlos Juliani, the dead youth in France, Alexis and many more from around the world. Our lifes do not belong at their states and their murderers! The memory of our murdered brothers, friends and comrades stays alive through our struggle ! We do not forget our brothers, we do not forgive their killers.

SPREAD THIS MESSAGE EVERYWHERE

Feel free to change it a bit if you like, translate it on ANY language and flood the net with it.

There is a new blog from the comrades of the taken over polytecnic building

http://katalipsipolytexneiou.blogspot.com/

They have also started broadcasting on the radio, you can listen to it here

http://147.102.219.129:8000/ (both in Greek)

ftony
Dec 13 2008 14:52
Steven. wrote:
A poster on urban 75 has compiled a list of international solidarity actions. We can tidy it up and add some more information, then put it in the library:
* Riots in Denmark with 32 arrested

* Bomb attack at a police departmnet at Mexico city

* Petro bomb attack at the yard of the greek embassy in Mosque, as a result a fire started

* Solidarity demo in Poznan (I spell it correctly ?) and attack at the greek consulate at Warsaw.

* Embassy take over in London, solidarity gathering in Newcastle, a demo in Brighton

* Solidarity actions at the greek consulate in Glasgow and a demo in Endiburg
80 people tried to take over the greek embassy in Paris

* A demo in holland, and a solidarity gathering outside a police department

* Attack at the policemen union building at solidarity gathering outside the greek consulate at Brussels in Belgium

* Demo outside the greek embassy in Sweden,

* Solidarity demo should take place today in Austria

* Attack at the greek consulate in Instabul. The front of the building was painted red.

* A demo with arrested demonstrators in Cyprus

* Take over of the greek embassy building in Sofia in Bulgaria

* Demo and road take over in Bologne in Italy

* Demo outside the greek consulate in Milan, Italy

* Take over of the greek consulate and the Institute of greek politism in Venice

* Demo outside the greek embassy in Rome and demos in Florence, Tourine and Naples

* Demo and attack at a greek tourist company office in Madrid in Spain

* Demo in Barcelona

* Take over of greek embassy in Berlin and 2 demos.. a big solidarity demo is being organized

* Demo of 150 people at Rotstock

* 2 demos for a take over in Hamburg

* Demo with riots in Frankfurt

* Attack at the greek consulate in New York

* Demo outside the greek embassy in Wasinghton

* Picket outside the greek embassy in Dublin Ireland

* The front walls of the greek embassy in Zagreb gets full of grafitty

* Demo of 70 people outside the greek consulate in Switzerland

* Demo in San Fransisco

* Solidarity messages from Chile

* Around 50 anarchists in rome went on a rampage after a demo at the greek consulate. Police cars were attacked, banks smashed, bins put on fire...

* 50 demonstrate in Helsinki

* Solidarity demonstration in Olympia, Washington. Bank of America windows broken

* demonstration outside Greek consulate in Montréal. Rally at site of killing of Canadian youth by police

there was also a short blockade of an Olympic Airlines shop in London on thursday i believe.

MT
Dec 13 2008 15:04

plus post #80 - http://libcom.org/forums/news/police-shoot-dead-16-year-old-demonstrator-athens-06122008?page=2#comment-309468
and yesterday a gathering (similar to the one in Bratislava) in front of embassy in Prague with cca 40 people

madashell's picture
madashell
Dec 13 2008 15:16

Solidarity demo in Leeds, today

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Dec 13 2008 17:17

I've just done this for the CNT-F not really sure if it merits a news article but it seemed worth putting up here. btw I've left the reference in it as CNT as that's apparently how they refer to themselves.

Quote:
Interview with Yannis, international secretary of the ESE.

Can you describe the events surrounding the death of Alexis again?
For the last three years the Greek police's strategy in Exârcheia, a district famous for popular struglle and home to many students., young people and libertarians, has been one of provocation.

Police patrols have become more frequent recently and on a daily basis the police are insulting the people in the area.
When it comes to the murder of this 15 year-old boy all the witnesses (resdients, passers-by etc) state that the police were provoking a group of young people by insulting them. When the youths responded the police parked their car and then returned to where the youths were sitting then they fired three times. The witnesses state that the murderer fired directly at Alexis who died on the pavement.

What are the tactics of the Greek police?
Since the end of the dictatorship of the Colonels dozens of Greeks have been killed by the police. Amongst the dead are: Mikalis Kaltezas, a 15 year-old anarchist militant killed in 1985; Issidoros Issidoropoulos, a 16 year-old extreme left-wing militant killed in 1976; Koumis and Kanellopoulou, two demonstrators and also a number of immigrants and people from ethnic minorities (gipsies and Thracian turks etc). Recently the police murdered a young disabled boy.

At the same time we're seeing countless cases of militants, demonstrators and immigrants being tortured by the police; as well as a systematic and unjustifiied use of tear gas bombs and other gas weapons at all demonstrations.

I'll add a final note, a police officer has never been killed by a demonstrator, furthermore no police officer, has ever spent more than two and a half years in prison.

What is going on, and where?
The revolt has exploded in virtually all the regional capitals. In Salonika, Agrinion, Yannena and across Crete there have been clashes between police and demonstrators. In Patras the police attacked demonstrators accompanied by a battalion of armed neo-nazis, so-called "outraged citizens".

Every day in Athens there are two or three different demonstrations, with tens of thousands of participants. In solidarity 20000 demonstrators attended the funeral of Alexandros Grigoropoulos. This isn't about "blind rebellion" like the media claims, on the contrary it is a real movement and one that continues...

The targets of the demonstrators are the banks and the multinational enterprises that are the symbols of poverty and suffering.

The revolt unites young and old, militants and the non-politicised.

It is the largest revolt in Greece since the Second World War and the Civil War which folowed in Greece. It could be the largest revolt in the western world for the last forty years. For us this revol is a completely legitimate response.

Apart from the murder of this young man, what are the other reasons for this explosion of protests?
We are the first post-war generation to experience worse economic and employment conditions than our parents.

In Greece we often speak of the "700 euro generation". Without a doubt this slogan doesn't express how bad things are. In fact the majority of people under 30 live on less than 700 euros a month. The only jobs available are casual or short term, a lot of people are forced to work on the black market. The bosses fire people, blaming the crisis, mean while Greek Capital is benefiting from the massive profits gained from the pillage of the balkans.

The situation is worse for immigrants who suffer from racist laws, widespread xenophobia and attacks from nazi groups which go unpunished. We must underline that immigrants have played a large part in this movement and, as usual, they have been the main victims of state repression. Of the 400 arrests so far, half have been of immigrants.

As far as politics and corruption goes I can briefly sum up the situation for you:
Recently there was a scandal as the 'Vatopedia' affair saw the government giving land to the church.

Two families, Papandreou of the centre left and Caramanlis of the right have governed Greece for 34 of the last 40 years.

To this we can add the disastrous mismanagement of the fires in 2007 and of the aftermath. The attacks on social security by the socialists in 2001 and the right in 2006. Privatisation of the electricity company, the ports and of Olympic Airways.

Interview by Jérémie International Secretary of the CNT

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 13 2008 17:21

Mate, that looks really good. Could you post it up as a library article?

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Dec 13 2008 17:22

ok

edit: not sure about the photo, change it if you like. It's from this website: http://garizo.blogspot.com/ it's a bit dodgy politically but got some good photos, worth keeping tabs on as a source.

CNT-F demo yesterday was peaceful. At about 6pm they went off on a 'wildcat' demonstration, they got to the Champs Elysees where there were clashes with police. One cop car destroyed, six arrested, all still in custody.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Dec 13 2008 17:41

Paris embassy was closed on Tuesday after the attempt to occupy.

11th Dec Consulate in Bordeaux closed after two cars were bruned outside and the entrance was damaged and slogans were painted.

11th Dec consulate in Grenoble closed after attempts made to force entry by a group of 15 people.

12th Dec In Grenoble demo outside consulate. paint bombs thrown at it. a wildcar demo marched through the town, blocking the tramway and paint bombing a bank. Police made no attempt to intervene. Banners with greek slogans carried.

ernie
Dec 13 2008 21:14

Setov

Thank you for the reports of the demonstrations that have avoid being provoked by the state. It is very interesting that they are being organised by the open assembly and have gained respect. They certainly look like a possible way forwards for bringing others into the movement. Their revolutionary discipline certainly must worry the state, which appears not to be able to provoke them into confrontations, and will encourage those who are scared or worried about the violence into joining such demonstrations.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Dec 14 2008 09:02

interesting article on the BBC quoting a former counter-insurgency guy in northern ireland...

Quote:
Sure, buildings have gone up in smoke. But the government should be praised for allowing all these young people to vent their anger and that there have been no casualties. This has been a huge non-event

playing down the radical potential, or a sober look at things? the article concludes otherwise...

Quote:
the stone-throwers who have had their first taste of street battles this week are just discovering their own strength. They are brimming with self belief and the purity of idealism.

Who knows what they might achieve?

the author has in mind some banal reforms, but still an interesting conclusion.

Mike Harman
Dec 14 2008 10:28

Solidarity protests get a mention here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article5337633.ece

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Dec 14 2008 21:21

http://news.uk.msn.com/world/article.aspx?cp-documentid=11863620

ps Front page of the site looks fantastic catch. Well done whoever got the photo fo the cop on fire

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Dec 14 2008 21:51

New article on Greece;
http://libcom.org/news/short-presentation-recent-events-athens-through-eyes-some-proletarian-participants-tptg-co-

robot's picture
robot
Dec 16 2008 05:01

A brief second update on the solidarity demonstrations for our Greek comrades: Protests took place at Berlin, Bielefeld, Bremen, Dortmund, Düsseldorf, Dresden, Erlangen, Frankfurt/Main, Freiburg, Gera, Glauchau, Hamburg, Hannover, Jena, Konstanz, Kiel, Köln, Krefeld, Leipzig, Magdeburg, Minden, München, Nürnberg, Oldenburg, Osnabrück, Potsdam, Ravensburg, Rostock, Saarbrücken, Schneverdingen, Traunstein, Weimar, Würzburg so far.

The picture shows the demonstration at Frankfurt/Main, just in front of the consulate of the state of Greece.

A second demonstration within three days at Frankfurt/Main took place friday night. More than 500 people took to the streets and were attacked various times by riot police and police thugs without uniform. A couple of police cars got damaged when people fought back. There were also some more towns, were police tried to stop or to attack demonstrations.

In several cities preparations for the Global Day of Action against police violence that the Greek comrades proposed for 20-12-2008 started.

Django's picture
Django
Dec 15 2008 22:15

Infoshop.org have a short report on the growth of the tactic of occupying town halls to hold popular assemblies:

Quote:
There is a pandemic of occupations of city halls, following the occupation of the city hall at Ag. Dimitrios. Saturday the old city hall of Halandri was occupied and today the city hall of Sykies, a suburb of Thessaloniki. Three people arrested and then released during this occupation. I will provide more news and translated statements as they become available.

Updates from the greek insurrection -- Occupation of the city hall of Sykies, Thessaloniki

There is a pandemic of occupations of city halls, following the occupation of the city hall at Ag. Dimitrios. Saturday the old city hall of Halandri was occupied and today the city hall of Sykies, a suburb of Thessaloniki. Three people arrested and then released during this occupation. I will provide more news and translated statements as they become available.

There have also been several takeovers of radio stations and other facilities. I am compiling a list.

One worrisome aspect from the US and European anarchist and left comrades. There is continuous reference to the greek "riots" (a term NEVER used by my greek comrades to refer to their actions or the situation, who call it explicitly a popular insurrection, but a term used all the time by the police and the mass media) and on the most spectacular attacks and property destruction, while virtually ignoring the insurrection and the grassroots organizing that is going on, such as the occupations of the public buildings, which are more popular in their compositions vs. the occupations of the universities which are student focused (and are protected by university asylum laws).

There is no split between those who are in the streets, those who occupy the universities and those who are taking over public buildings like the city halls. But to continue to refer to the "riots" is to completely, in my opinion, demean and ignore the true popular nature of the insurrection and to buy into the message of the spectacle that the state and the mass media are selling us. I beseech you to stop referring to the insurrection as riots and to help shift the rhetoric. Let us honor the nature of the insurrection by calling it what it is and by striving to understand its complexities and its intricacies, and not focus only on its more spectacular moments.

Words have meaning, and words like "known unknowns" "hooded ones" "self-styled anarchists" "looters" and "riots" are designed to disinform and disorient. Let us not become a party to that.

http://news.infoshop.org/article.php?story=20081215123743571

Maybe the Greek posters could provide more detail, but this looks like it could be a good tactic to broaden the struggle and draw in the wider working class in Greece.

aloeveraone
Dec 16 2008 07:55

Any idea what this is about?
http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=99865

"The major checkpoint on Bulgaria's border with Greece "Kulata" was closed briefly Monday night for heavy trucks and buses because of a strike of Greek agricultural producers, the Border Police announced.

The Greek border authorities had notified their Bulgarian colleagues Monday afternoon that the road between the border checkpoint and the Greek city of Seres, which then continues further south to Thesaloniki and Athens, had been blocked by over 800 tractors about 10 km south of the border."