School occupations in Glasgow

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
ginger's picture
ginger
Apr 4 2009 14:28
School occupations in Glasgow

Here's an earlier report from afraser
http://libcom.org/news/glasgow-threateaned-schools-occupied-parents-03042009#comment-form

I'm just wanting to update it and give some feedback and what I feel its useful for other anarchists to hear about. I was there last night and am just home now for a short break before I head back up for tonight.

The atmosphere is excellent. The parents are in really good spirits and getting more and more confident, stronger and determined.

There was a brief showing of other leftists for the demo today, and they might start getting involved now, however so far the occupation has been purely comprised of parents and Anarchists with lots of support and practical solidarity from Anarchists throughout Glasgow.

This was in large part due to longterm involvement of individual Anarchists in the area, including with housing campaigns, and through the Burgh Angel. This sort of sustained, committed contact meant that it was an Anarchist who was contacted before the occupation and he let the rest of us know that they wanted our support.

Its been an amazing experience so far. The parents (all mother so far) are absolutely terrific. They are articulate, audacious, intelligent, militant and very clear about what they are doing and why. We had a total ball last night - laughing, bonding, dancing, with lots of tea drunk and very little sleep. The parents especially, but all of us, were really enjoying that delicious feeling of liberation from taking audacious and militant action against those that seem to have all the cards and power.

Today we had lots and lots of press. The parents have been giving interviews from the only openable window. eg http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7983056.stm

They've had impressive cynicism about both politicians and press. smile As I said, they're pretty much all new to any sort of politics yet they're incredibly savvy and learning quickly every day. And they're so loving it! So loving taking matters into their own hands, feeling their power maybe for the first time. I can't imagine any of them coming out of this experience unchanged. Their confidence, and class consciousness as well as skillset is already hugely grown. For me this is what makes it vital revolutionary activity that all Anarchists should continue to support in every way we can.

Skips
Apr 4 2009 15:04

This is great news. Keep it up comrade.

jambo1's picture
jambo1
Apr 4 2009 17:14

great stuff, all the best for the campaign.

rottweiler
Apr 4 2009 23:26

great news. I hope the campaign is victorious. Is there anywhere we can send messages of support?

ginger's picture
ginger
Apr 5 2009 08:09

Messages of support can be sent to 07770 806270

If you're sending them from abroad, replace that first 0 with "44" - 447770806270

Everyone gets excited when a message comes in, especially from abroad, so please do send them! smile And please do mention if you're from an Anarchist organisation or whatever as the Trots and assorted politicians are jossling for position.

madashell's picture
madashell
Apr 5 2009 10:07

Message sent. Is there anything the occupation needs that'll cost? I could pass around the hat of shame at the next Merseyside anarchist meeting.

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Apr 5 2009 21:28

Apparently GMTV is visiting one of the schools tomorrow to give an interview, so please look out for the news in morning.

Ed's picture
Ed
Apr 6 2009 07:28

Brilliant news story, keep us updated..

Between this and the Ford Visteon stuff, I'm feeling pretty jubilant about the class struggle at the minute! smile

MT
Apr 7 2009 07:22

Is the final decision of the city going to be made on 17th, 21st or 23rd April? I've found these 3 dates and don't know which one is correct. Just for clarification for article that will be posted on our website in Slovakia. Thanks.
Keep up the fight!

Edit: Any idea how people from abroad could help except soli texts?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 7 2009 08:47

yeah nice one ginger, thanks for keeping us updated

treehugger76
Apr 7 2009 15:47

the final decision will be made on the 23rd

there were rumours the council are going to cut off the electricity to the building but this has yet to be confirmed -

however, the parents are determined to stay with or without electricity so I'm assuming there'll be a call out for gas stoves and blankets in the next few days

tbh - the women are really quite organised (us anarchists should be taking notes actually) so the texts themselves are giving the mothers tremendous boosts of confidence and courage so they feel they're doing the right thing, just keep them coming and again, please make sure they know the texts are from anarchists wink

Skips
Apr 7 2009 20:39

i sent a txt the other day, forgot to say i was an anarchist Mr. T

ginger's picture
ginger
Apr 10 2009 14:53

You could also post them something by snail mail. They're almost getting complacent about the texts! Try postcards from your area to :
School occupation,
Gym Hall,
Wyndford Primary School,
116 Glenfinnan Drive,
Glasgow
G20 8HL
UK

and

School occupation,
Gym Hall,
St Gregory's Primary School
186 Wyndford Rd
Glasgow,
G20 8HF
UK

I can't emphasise enough how much the solidarity messages coming in have helped to reinforce the parents resolve. It shows that by taking direct action you gain the solidarity of an international movement. Whether or not these school occupations are successful, what the community is experientially learning about both themselves, their potential and the wider world is invaluable. This is directly developing a culture of resistance in a working class area of a city with incredible militant history and potential. And these parents also have their own social circle of family, friends, work colleagues who will also be influenced by their increased revolutionary consciousness, confidence and compentence. These are the raw ingredients from which a new world can be germinated.

MT
Apr 11 2009 10:49

Hi ginger,

is there any chance to set up an email for soli messages? Priama akcia has made an online call for solidarity with the parents but we've just realized that our texts were returned (don't know where the problem is, probably the operator; I'm sending you the copy of the text in PM) so an email would be fine to keep solidarity comming from around the world.

Good luck in the struggle and keep us informed about the developments!

888's picture
Apr 13 2009 20:07
ginger wrote:
Everyone gets excited when a message comes in, especially from abroad, so please do send them! smile And please do mention if you're from an Anarchist organisation or whatever as the Trots and assorted politicians are jossling for position.

Is it still going on? Message sent from Seattle Solidarity Network anyway. This sounds like a great development, well worth supporting.

ginger's picture
ginger
Apr 13 2009 20:09

Sorry, but there's no internet access at the school and I don't have a printer so I'm not going to offer to pass messages on. Yes, it is still going on. It will be at least until Sunday.