Jason Cortez
Mar 14 2008 13:18

deja vu?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 17 2008 20:36

latest:

Quote:
Shelter management have returned to negotiations and have agreed to put the implementation of their proposed deal on hold. Consequently strikes planned for the 19th and 20th of March have also been put on hold.

This does not mean the dispute is over, however! Keep up the support and watch this space for more news.

Vaneigemappreci...
Mar 18 2008 17:52

Yep, so its a four day week instead of a two day one which is great news for my overdraft but perhaps not so good news for shelter staff. While the strike has been suspended new roles have already been drawn out for many staff that intensify the working regime in accordance with increasing effiiciency and turn over of new cases.

Vaneigemappreci...
Mar 20 2008 17:23

LOL! Here's the latest, after two days of discussions between management and unions this is what theyve managed to put together.

Courtesy of the ever inept and often condescending Adam Sampson

Quote:
1) Every member of staff who is in post on 1st April 08 will receive a one off (unconsolidated i.e. not part of your salary) payment of £150.

2) Every member of staff who is disabled and who officially requested (between 7 January '08 and 18 March '08) to stay on their current hours will be able to do so and will not have their salary reduced.

3) Part of the original organisational change package was an ending of annual increments. Management has now agreed that each person who was due to receive an annual increment this year (2008) will receive a one off increment, unconsolidated payment. This will be paid in May and will be the same amount of money as their annual incremental rise. Where this payment would be less than the earlier compensation offer eg those staff on the bottom of Grades 1 and 2 the higher amount will be paid.

4) Some staff have been redeployed to grade 3 Adviser posts. They will now:

a) Have a right to any Grade 4 post that becomes vacant in their office. This will apply for 12 months from 1 April 2008. If there are two or more grade 3 people in that office they will be subject to the usual selection process. The post will not be advertised externally.
b) For those redeployed Grade 3 Advisers who do not secure a Grade 4 post, within the above 12-month period, will receive a one-off unconsolidated payment of £500.

The principles of the original change package: to increase working hours to 37.5 hours per week, end permanent incremental salary rises and protect the salaries of redeployed staff for two years still apply. However this new package of measures replaces the original offer of compensation. It means that all members of staff will now receive an increased compensation payment to mitigate against the impact of the changes.

We understand that arrangements are new being put in place for the union to ballot their members on this offer. The Trade Union have agreed not to call any further strike action until 23 April 2008. In recognition of this notice periods for those staff who are being dismissed will be extended whilst they consider the revised offer.

A further briefing will follow to all staff and HR will provide further details of the implications.

the button's picture
the button
Mar 20 2008 22:04
Vaneigemappreciationclub wrote:
LOL! Here's the latest, after two days of discussions between management and unions this is what theyve managed to put together.

Courtesy of the ever inept and often condescending Adam Sampson

Quote:
1) Every member of staff who is in post on 1st April 08 will receive a one off (unconsolidated i.e. not part of your salary) payment of £150. Cheers. The price of a decent weekend's festivities. I'll try not to let it change my life.

2) Every member of staff who is disabled and who officially requested (between 7 January '08 and 18 March '08) to stay on their current hours will be able to do so and will not have their salary reduced. I.e. you're not going to break the law by failing to make a reasonable adjustment in working conditions on grounds of disability. Well done.

3) Part of the original organisational change package was an ending of annual increments. Management has now agreed that each person who was due to receive an annual increment this year (2008) will receive a one off increment, unconsolidated payment. This will be paid in May and will be the same amount of money as their annual incremental rise. Where this payment would be less than the earlier compensation offer eg those staff on the bottom of Grades 1 and 2 the higher amount will be paid. Still not an increment is it, though, cock?

4) Some staff have been redeployed to grade 3 Adviser posts. They will now:

a) Have a right to any Grade 4 post that becomes vacant in their office. This will apply for 12 months from 1 April 2008. If there are two or more grade 3 people in that office they will be subject to the usual selection process. The post will not be advertised externally. It's a potential redundancy situtation, so you're not allowed to advertise the posts externally anyway. Once again, well done for not breaking the law.
b) For those redeployed Grade 3 Advisers who do not secure a Grade 4 post, within the above 12-month period, will receive a one-off unconsolidated payment of £500. Cheers! smile

The principles of the original change package: to increase working hours to 37.5 hours per week, end permanent incremental salary rises and protect the salaries of redeployed staff for two years still apply. However this new package of measures replaces the original offer of compensation. It means that all members of staff will now receive an increased compensation payment to mitigate against the impact of the changes.

We understand that arrangements are new being put in place for the union to ballot their members on this offer. The Trade Union have agreed not to call any further strike action until 23 April 2008. In recognition of this notice periods for those staff who are being dismissed will be extended whilst they consider the revised offer.

A further briefing will follow to all staff and HR will provide further details of the implications.

Vaneigemappreci...
Mar 21 2008 13:23

Interesting analysis of points 2 and 4a button. Can you point me towards the sections of legislation that would back these up?

the button's picture
the button
Mar 21 2008 16:27

The "reasonable adjustment" thing is the Disability Discrimination Act. The second one is less straightforward, and would only apply if there was a potential redundancy situation. Basically, if a Grade 3 can do a Grade 4's job (with the 4 week's training that's provided for), but gets made redundant having not been given the opportunity for redeployment, then they could claim unfair selection for redundancy and unfair dismissal. More here: -

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=774

Vaneigemappreci...
Apr 1 2008 17:51

The T&G have issued a request for strike funds

though there is bugger all on the T&G website!

posi
Apr 1 2008 19:26
T&G leaflet wrote:
You can help by:

a) Donating to our strike fund
Please make all cheques payable to ‘Shelter Strike Fund’ and send them to: Shelter Stewards c/0 48 Swindon Close, Gorton, Manchester, M18 8JQ
b) Asking for a speaker at your meeting
Contact shelterstewards@googlemail.com telling us the time, date and location of your meeting and we will do our best to send along a Shelter striker to speak to you.
c) Sending messages of support and protest
•Send messages of support to union members in Shelter: shelterstewards@googlemail.com and c/o Alan Scott, T&GWU, Woodberry, 218 Green Lanes, N4 2HB
•Send messages of protest to Shelter’s senior management team: Please send hard copies and emails to Adam Sampson, Shelter, 88 Old St, London, EC1V 9HU. adam_sampson@shelter.org.uk . Ask that it be forwarded to the Board of Directors and copy it to Shelter stewards at the above address.
•Pass resolutions in your trade union branches supporting stewards and condemning these attacks.
•Write to your MP raising concerns about the attacks on Shelter staff pay and conditions and the organisation’s core values, and ask them to sign the Early Day Motions in both the Scottish and Westminster parliaments:
•Westminster EDM - number 1016 entitled ‘Shelter and its staff’.
•Scottish EDM number S3M-01475 entitled ‘Solidarity with Shelter Workers’.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I/We are able to make a donation of £…….. to the Shelter strike fund.

I/we would like to request a speaker for a meeting: (include date, time, location)

Name:
Trade union branch/ organisation:
Address:
Email:
Phone:
Please return this to: Shelter Stewards, c/o 48 Swindon Close, Gorton, Manchester M18 8JQ.

Vaneigemappreci...
Apr 2 2008 17:07

cheers posi

unfortunately i dont think the strike fund will cover most workers at many shelter sights, i know that probably over half of those who were on strike in my area last time were non union.

posi
Apr 2 2008 17:22

Hmmm... well maybe suggest to 'em that they should join? To a degree, if the central T&G pays something into the strike fund ,or if large amounts come from other union branches, that's fair enough. They should be prepared to contribute.

The lack of serious union strike funds in this country is a total joke...

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 2 2008 20:49
posi wrote:

Not really, it makes sense since the unions mostly don't want workers to strike. My union UNISON spends a lot of effort trying to sabotage industrial action; others are a lot worse.

Udo_Bukowski's picture
Udo_Bukowski
Apr 3 2008 09:15
Steven. wrote:
posi wrote:

Not really, it makes sense since the unions mostly don't want workers to strike. My union UNISON spends a lot of effort trying to sabotage industrial action; others are a lot worse.

Which is in part a reflection of the TUs getting the shit kicked out of them in the Thatcher years, and the changes in legislation regarding strike action, secondary picketing and so on that followed. Many of the TUs I came into contact with decided at this point to adopt the rather cowardly survival policy of trying to retain influence in the businesses with recognised branches by shifting their perspective to become an extension of the personnel department (which in turn assisted many businesses in shedding trained personnel staff sympathetic to the employees and re-constituting these departments as "Human Resources").

In my particular union branch we ended up getting threaten with expulsion by the NEC for refusing to sign a "no strike" clause during the renegotiation of the collective agreement.

Of course, things are much better now. groucho

posi
Apr 3 2008 09:42
Steven. wrote:
Not really, it makes sense since the unions mostly don't want workers to strike.

yeah, I know, that's a 'joke' too

Oh alright, it's not a joke it's a structural condition of capital la la la... wink

Vaneigemappreci...
Apr 15 2008 11:25

The ballots are in and union members have voted to reject managements derisory offer of a compromise. The results were approximately 65% to 35% (i dont have the figures to hand). The union is collecting for a strike fund but many non union workers who went on strike last time obviously won't be eligible for help, some of those either can't afford to join the union or don't want to be members. Does anyone know what the law is on collecting a non union strike fund?

ftony
Apr 15 2008 14:06

They're striking on 24 April (along with the NUT, UCU [FE section] and PCS). They want to strike on the following day also - the 25th April.

Vaneigemappreci...
Apr 15 2008 16:22

If its going to be succesful its going to have to be more than one day, i also think there's going to have to be a lot of rabble rousing in certain offices as a number of those involved in the last strike have now been made redundant or left of their own accord

the button's picture
the button
Apr 16 2008 07:35

This is how the strike is being covered in the charity sector's main "in house" journal.

Vaneigemappreci...
Apr 16 2008 14:28
Quote:
Sampson added that he did not consider the Shelter union members’ vote of 65 per cent in favour of strikes – equivalent to 19.5 per cent of the charity’s total staff – represented a “legitimate mandate” for further strike action.

“In the interests of our service users and the whole organisation the dispute should now be concluded,"

We received an email from Senior Management today saying this and more. Management have made spinning statistics into a fine art during this dispute. Reports are Labour are looking to sign up Sampson to their PR department.

65% of union members who voted, voted against the new offer

there was a 54% turnout for the vote,

Only 92 out of 473 union members voted to accept the terms

If we were to use sampsons logic we'd presume that those who didnt vote to accept the offer were infact against accepting it. That would mean that only 92 out of a workforce of 850 actually accept the planned changes, thats only 11% of the workforce.

I'd like to see Shelter senior management offer all staff, union members or otherwise, a secret ballot, i'd imagine the percentage who would refuse the new arrangements would be equal to, if not higher than that in the union.

The tone of the last sentence is indicative of the arrogance of shelter management throughout this dispute, we've actually got a management training day at our office on one of the strike days, i think they'll be getting a warm reception.

Either way i'm going to lose another two days pay, looks like i'll be staying with the rents for another month!

the button's picture
the button
Apr 16 2008 14:46
Vaneigemappreciationclub wrote:
we've actually got a management training day at our office on one of the strike days, i think they'll be getting a warm reception.

You probably know this, because you're not daft, but be very careful how you handle that -- there's a significant chance it's a deliberate provocation. I'd try and get some agreement about how to handle it before they show up -- possibly massed whistling of the Laurel & Hardy music or somesuch.

Vaneigemappreci...
Apr 16 2008 16:12

Cheers button. The training was booked well in advance, even before the ballot so unless sampson is a clairvoyant as well as a james it almost certainly isnt an intended provocation, that said i'm not going to spark a member of management, it won't look good, especially during a probabationary period.

ftony
Apr 23 2008 11:53

There will be picket lines at the following locations and times

London
Shelter Head Office
88 Old St
London EC1V 9HU
At junction of Old St and Whitecross St

Thursday 24th - From 7.30am – 10.30am at Old St, then at 11am joining NUT/PCS/UCU march from Lincoln’s Inn Fields to Westminster Central Hall for rally.

Friday 25th – From 7.30am – 2pm at Old St

Sheffield
Furnival House
Furnival Gate
SHEFFIELD
S1 4QP

From 7.30am

Leeds
Yorkshire & North East Regional Office
Ludgate Chambers
Ludgate Hill
LEEDS
LS2 7HZ
From 7am

Birmingham
Midlands & East Regional Office
4th Floor
Gateway House
50 – 53 High Street
BIRMINGHAM
B4 7SY
From 8am – 10.15am and then again from 12 noon – 2pm

Manchester
Manchester Housing Aid Centre and North West Regional Office
Ground Floor
Victoria House
119 Princess Street
MANCHESTER
M1 7AG
From 7.30am

Edinburgh
Head Office (Scotland)
Scotiabank House
6 South Charlotte Street
EDINBURGH
EH2 4AW
From 7.30am

Glasgow
Glasgow HAC
First Floor Suite 2
Breckenridge House
274 Sauchiehall Street
GLASGOW
G2 3EH
From 8am

Vaneigemappreci...
Apr 29 2008 10:34

The 24th and 25th were as solidly supported as the first two days of strike action.

More strikes are set for Wednesday 30th April and Thursday 1st May.

Senior Management have now stopped emailing staff with their condescending slurs, it looks as if theyve finally understood that theyre only fuelling the flames.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 29 2008 17:31

my branch just voted to give £250. tried to get £500, sorry!

Tim
Apr 30 2008 11:54

Inspite of the pouring rain today in Edinburgh a hardy bunch of strikers were on the picket line at Scotiabank. Members of the public were supportive and stopped to give encouragement. Many expressed their disappointment at the offer made by Shelter management and their refusal to find a meaningful solution to the dispute. My understanding is that neither housing advice or support services in Edinburgh were operational.