Solidarity with the Seattle Anarchists!

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jared
Jul 26 2011 00:18
Solidarity with the Seattle Anarchists!

Reposted from NEFAC.

At least one member of Seattle Solidarity Network has been arrested after police crashed an anarchist party arresting 7.

After the arrest between 30 and 40 anarchists gathered outside the downtown jail for a noise demonstration in solidarity with the six still in jail (one of the seven arrested has been released.)

The noisy demonstration proceeded around the jail for about 15 minutes.

At this point, cop cars came from all directions, including undercover cars and canine units. The demonstration attempted to disperse, but many people were chased down. At least fifteen people were arrested, and five more were detained and released.

This is a call for all kinds of solidarity acts—including an appeal for funds. Those who are not currently in jail need help to bail out and provide further legal support for their friends and comrades.

Paypal: seattlelegaldefense@gmail.com

Jared
Jul 26 2011 01:32

From Barry Pateman: All the Seattle people should be out by 9pm (US West Coast time) tonight. Only two people needed bail, I believe. More later

redsdisease
Jul 26 2011 06:51

I've been hearing reports that police beat people at the party with shovels, but can't find any articles beyond a really short, blurb on anarchistnews.org. Anybody know more?

Jared
Jul 26 2011 07:39

Yeah I'd heard that too, maybe on ainfos?

888's picture
Jul 26 2011 07:43

Along with six other people, I was in jail, facing charges of riot and three counts of assaulting a police officer, after a party was broken up with excessive force by police on friday night. I was released a few hours ago and have to go to court again on wednesday to see if the charges will be prosecuted, as do three others facing these potentially serious charges (although I believe it is likely they will be dropped fairly soon). I was tasered and beaten, but am fine now. Many other anarchist comrades were also beaten, one cop was wielding a shovel.

Since one debater from either side of the debate was in jail on Saturday, the debate was postponed. That night the events described in Jared's post at the top happened. Everyone is out now, but in total 26 anarchists were arrested, one of the larger incidents involving anarchists in Seattle since '99.

There is a Paypal address if anyone can donate for bail and legal defence costs:

sabot's picture
sabot
Jul 26 2011 07:58
888 wrote:
Along with six other people, I was in jail, facing charges of riot and three counts of assaulting a police officer, after a party was broken up with excessive force by police on friday night. I was released a few hours ago and have to go to court again on wednesday to see if the charges will be prosecuted, as do three others facing these potentially serious charges (although I believe it is likely they will be dropped fairly soon). I was tasered and beaten, but am fine now. Many other anarchist comrades were also beaten, one cop was wielding a shovel.

Since one debater from either side of the debate was in jail on Saturday, the debate was postponed. That night the events described in Jared's post at the top happened. Everyone is out now, but in total 26 anarchists were arrested, one of the larger incidents involving anarchists in Seattle since '99.

There is a Paypal address if anyone can donate for bail and legal defence costs:

Glad to see your OK. Was there a reason for these arrest other than cops just being cops?

redsdisease
Jul 26 2011 08:11

That's really awful. Glad that you and the others who were arrested are out. Good luck on Wednesday, I hope that y'all get your charges dropped.

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Jul 26 2011 08:31

Glad you're out and ok. Hope you and everyone else get your charges dropped ASAP!

Jared
Jul 26 2011 09:19

Let us know what you need and we'll see what we can do. I'm putting it to Beyond Resistance that we plug some funds your way. All the best comrades.

gypsy
Jul 26 2011 09:59
888 wrote:

Glad your okay mate. Getting tasered does not sound like fun. =(

Ed's picture
Ed
Jul 26 2011 10:48

Yeah that sucks man, glad to hear your okay..

syndicalist
Jul 26 2011 17:30

888 to WSA:

Quote:
> Thanks everyone I'm out now. See http://libcom.org/forums/news/solidarity-seattle-anarchists-26072011
> for some info. I will post more later on when I have more time, but I
> am in good spirits. I believe the charges will be dropped eventually.
> I am out on personal recognizance and will be in court at 230
> tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the support.
Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jul 26 2011 17:30

Shit, I'm sorry! Are you alright?

What was their justification for attacking the party? (BTW if you could be identified as an individual, and there may be a criminal trial I would be careful about posting any details about yourself personally here)

get ready to sue the shit out of them - a friend of mine has done pretty well suing the cops in recent protests

nastyned
Jul 26 2011 21:27

Sorry to hear you got nicked m888. I've bunged a tenner over, keep us posted on the case.

Hieronymous's picture
Hieronymous
Jul 26 2011 23:12

Glad you're out, fellow worker.

Best of luck in getting the pigs to drop the charges.

Hieronymous's picture
Hieronymous
Jul 26 2011 23:12

Glad you're out, fellow worker.

Best of luck in getting the pigs to drop the charges.

CRUD's picture
CRUD
Jul 27 2011 00:11
888 wrote:

When I was much younger I spent 14 months in the SF county jail and two years in San Quentin for putting a NAZI in the hospital (assault with a deadly weapon conviction). Not to be a jail house lawyer but the charges are always excessive (I was initially charged with attempted murder and mayhem). The DA will most likely drop the assault on police officer charges since they're usually bullshit. They might be pissed though so they may try to set some sort of "example" that "the law" is in control. Some of you might need lawyers because public defenders, as you know, are a joke . At worse people could end up with some sort of disturbing the peace charge...maybe vandalism.
admin: fixed

888's picture
Jul 27 2011 00:39

The police is definitely responding to anarchist actions with a specific strategy in Seattle at this point. A few months ago an example of this was arresting multiple people who waited in the hallway of the county jail for their friends to be released for "trespassing" - on public property. The charges were, of course, dropped shortly afterwards. They also told some people arrested on the saturday action "we don't care if these charges stick, we just want you off the streets for the weekend". There is one officer specifically dedicated to "ideological crimes".

Jared
Jul 27 2011 01:17

Yep, it's a way of hindering momentum and energy, especially all the good work SeaSol and friends are doing. Even if nothing sticks it wastes money and energy. We're seeing it on a major scale in NZ at the moment around anarchists on 'Terror' charges (since 2007 in fact).

Keep us posted mate.

Malcy
Jul 27 2011 04:02

Truly dreadful. You must be doing something right to attract this level of attention!

Let us know what we can do from New Zealand apart from donate to the legal fund.

Solidarity!

888's picture
Jul 28 2011 02:57

In court today - no charges pursued for all 6 of us facing felonies! That doesn't mean that we definitely won't be charged later, they have 3 years to charge us, but it's much less likely now.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jul 28 2011 06:18

Good news.

gypsy
Jul 28 2011 07:23
CRUD wrote:

When I was much younger I spent 14 months in the SF county jail and two years in San Quentin for putting a NAZI in the hospital (assault with a deadly weapon conviction). Not to be a jail house lawyer but the charges are always excessive (I was initially charged with attempted murder and mayhem). The DA will most likely drop the assault on police officer charges since they're usually bullshit. They might be pissed though so they may try to set some sort of "example" that "the law" is in control. Some of you might need lawyers because public defenders, as you know, are a joke . At worse people could end up with some sort of disturbing the peace charge...maybe vandalism.

Jeez didn't the aryan brotherhood types give you bother when you were inside?

petey
Jul 28 2011 15:20

holy moly, this entire business blows.
very glad you're physically and legally ok.

888 wrote:
There is one officer specifically dedicated to "ideological crimes".

crikey

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Jul 28 2011 15:27

yeah man, pleased to hear your well and good. Was this literally a raid based on political persuasion? (you don't have to answer this)

I have dedicated my life to ideological crimes against humanity, there isn't much resources in it now, but ya know how it goes...

888's picture
Jul 28 2011 17:55

I think the original attack on the party was just cops responding to a noise complaint getting out of hand, but there is a possibility there was more to it than that. The swift response and the citywide police alert that people heard on the scanner related to the noise demo suggests the SPD now has a policy of immediately stopping anarchist protests...

888's picture
Jul 28 2011 18:35

No charges filed against 16 of those arrested in the solidarity demonstration! That leaves the three more people who were not bailed out who still have court on August 22nd.

nastyned
Jul 28 2011 18:55

Excellent news!

888's picture
Jul 28 2011 20:16

Correction - the very first person arrested is still facing three misdemeanor charges. He has pled not guilty to all three.

888's picture
Jul 29 2011 10:45

Bastards broke my leg. I didn't realise for a few days though.

CRUD's picture
CRUD
Jul 29 2011 22:27
gypsy wrote:
CRUD wrote:

Jeez didn't the aryan brotherhood types give you bother when you were inside?

Lets just say I didn't go around wearing my political views on my sleeve. It would've been suicide. I'm not suicidal smile

Glad to hear the charges were dropped, the district attorney usually has their hands full with, lets say, more serious cases (unless you live in a small town).