Some news from Greece

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
dinosavros
Dec 5 2010 19:32
Some news from Greece

Very briefly:

Tomorrow is the 2 year anniversary of the murder of Alexandros Grigropoulos and the riot that followed. The government has banned all traffic from 10am tomorrow until Tuesday morning within a large part of Athens(maps here) including public transport, except for the underground. This measure will isolate demonstrators taking part, especially while they are going and leaving.

The past 2 days have seen an extensive anti-terrorist police operation in Athens, Agrinio and Crete arresting people allegedly involved in anarchist armed groups, including lots of weapons being found. As you can imagine this is being accompanied by a big media scare. Also in a separate case an anarchist space in Thessaloniki has been raided with 11 people arrested.

Better info at both Occupied London and Act for Freedom Now.

dinosavros
Dec 6 2010 17:29

Brief update on 6th December mobilizations today

In Athens so far both the students' demonstration at 12 and the main demonstration that started around 4 (and is ongoing) had a high attendance and strong energy. State repression is also high with a lot of tear gas, some arrests and people wounded, and reports of riot cops entering areas with asylum.

Unfortunately my wireless connection is very slow so i can't watch videos but possibly people in the UK might want to find videos of the thousands of school students in the streets today which should be inspiring for the students in the UK.

Ed's picture
Ed
Dec 6 2010 17:52

Yeah, I've had a look.. pretty mad, all in all.. the Greeks don't fuck about!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-JipF0Nyck

Edit: about 30-40 seconds in you can see what seems to be Greece's famous anarchist dog!

Ed's picture
Ed
Dec 7 2010 14:18

Also, I came across this video about the far-right in Greece which I found both interesting and surprising.. given the level of collective struggle, I was surprised that there was still so much support for the far-right/anger at migrants.. is this really so prevalent in Greece at the moment? What is the situation between native Greeks and migrants? And the situation between the far-left and the far-right (in terms of balance of power, not "are they mates?" smile )?

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Dec 7 2010 14:29
Ed wrote:

Edit: about 30-40 seconds in you can see what seems to be Greece's famous anarchist dog!

The bloke checking his watch umbrageously is a legend.

mons
Dec 7 2010 14:42
Quote:

At an anti-cuts meeting yesterday at a pub, which for some reason was showing Russia Today on TV, this came on, and we all cheered. It was a nice moment smile
What are numbers like, and how does it compare to last years anniversary? Is there much worker involvement, or mainly students and the young unemployed?

dinosavros
Dec 7 2010 16:18

Ed

Quote:
I was surprised that there was still so much support for the far-right/anger at migrants.. is this really so prevalent in Greece at the moment? What is the situation between native Greeks and migrants? And the situation between the far-left and the far-right (in terms of balance of power, not "are they mates?" smile )?

Is it surprising? It is to be expected I would have thought. There is high unemployment, an economic crisis and lots of migrants (who are more recent and less absorbed than in the UK). There's a history of patriotic and religious ideas, and for many it is still a close-knit family-based Mediterannean society. There are far-right sentiments among many people in power, politicians, priests, cops and the military etc. There are constant reports of fascist gangs working with the riot police. In Athens at the last local elections the founder of the Chrysi Avgi (Golden Dawn) neo-nazi party (and known police informant) was elected to the board of the city council with something like 5% of the vote (although abstention was 40+%), in Agios Panteleimonas he had 20+%. See also, comments on the truck drivers strike. See here for a list of references to fascism in Greece on this site.
See also this and this on a serious recent fascist attack.

mons

Quote:
What are numbers like, and how does it compare to last years anniversary? Is there much worker involvement, or mainly students and the young unemployed?

mons I cant find any good data on numbers in Athens (if someone else can), it was not all one central demo and it went on for something like 12 hours so difficult to know, but my impression is that it was much better than last year when the police had much better control of the situation.
This year students had a larger and more active presence than was anticipated. Workers unions dont have a presence but despite attempts to identify the demonstrators as only students, hooligans and anarchists (as happened 2 years ago) obviously a lot of people taking part are workers.

This workers occupation from 2 years ago is very inspiring if you havent seen it before.

dinosavros
Dec 7 2010 16:03

Is anyone in contact with taxikipali? He hasn't posted here in a long time.

mons
Dec 7 2010 16:19

dinosavros

Quote:
This workers occupation from 2 years ago is very inspiring if you havent seen it before.

I hadn't, but thanks it is really inspiring.

dinosavros
Dec 8 2010 01:13

There is a good report in English on the day's events throughout all of Greece at contra info counter-information network, which is a pretty good site for news from Greece.

The report is here