traffic attendant wildcat strike belfast

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
sunshine79
May 20 2009 18:41
traffic attendant wildcat strike belfast

hi folks im a new user the reason for joining is i seen your recent intrest in the traffic attendant strike in belfast. just to let you know i was one of them our reasons for taking the action against ncp whom by the way are owned by ge money was as follows 1serious health and safety issues 2deplorable sanitary and toilet facilitys 3having to pay for our own boots and items of uniform 4breaches of confidentiality 5complaints about workers being bullied not investigated by managment not what there so called spokesman said to the media that it was about rota changes and sickness pay. at the moment we are holding a protest every day outside their hq at 33 may st and are receiving increasing support from the general public feel free to join us anytime and we will inform you of more information thanks

sunshine79
May 20 2009 19:00

ps unless you are unaware the company instead of looking at our genuine greviences decided to suspend then sack us using maggie thatchers anti trade union legislation the first time that legislation had been used in northern ireland. in the end i beleive when they realised most of the 28 that walked out that day where avid trade union activists they seized there chance and got rid of us not only that but they have served a writ against nipsa the union attempting to sue them for 120000 quid they seemingly can do that through the same thatcherite law. they also immediatly started recruiting to replace us even though we had the right to appeal there decision by law and i can tell you now the appeals where just a kangeroo court and they had to be adjourned because the company didnt know there own policys ie your supposed to do an investigatory before you sack someone. so ncp has now rescheduled the appeals during nipsas annuel conference to give us and the union a more stressful time trying to organise union repesentation for 26 people.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 20 2009 19:23

Hi sunshine, thanks for posting your views.

I work for a local council, and NCP runs our parking contracts as well.

Actually, they have now lost the contract and so we are going to be taking it back in house. But the council management is saying they will not take back the worker who is a union representative. NCP however is refusing to sack him, saying the council will have to take him back. Not trying to defend NCP here, just saying that public sector employers aren't necessarily any better than the private sector.

Best of luck, and full support to you guys in your struggle! Please let us know here how things develop - because we think an injury to one worker is an injury to all, and we will have valuable things to learn from each other in terms of how we can fight the employers.

For reference, the news article about this dispute is here:
http://libcom.org/news/traffic-wardens-sacked-over-wildcat-strike-20042009

Choccy's picture
Choccy
May 20 2009 20:21

Cheers for the info Sunshine. If you'd be up for doing a short interview Pm me and we could sort something out. No sweat if you're busy but it be cool to chat.

PartyBucket's picture
PartyBucket
May 20 2009 21:29
sunshine79 wrote:
at the moment we are holding a protest every day outside their hq at 33 may st and are receiving increasing support from the general public feel free to join us anytime and we will inform you of more information thanks

What times are the protests happening? Id like to get there, one of the sacked attendants is a former work colleague of mine.

sunshine79
May 21 2009 16:18

yes m8 protests are resuming at 9.30 on monday 25th of may cheers for your support

Deezer
May 21 2009 17:38

Hello sunshine 79 I was chatting to one of your colleagues yesterday morning at one of the pickets and picked up a leaflet. Any support we can give just let us know.

sunshine79
May 21 2009 18:44

cheers deezer for the support might be calling on a little bit of support next week if possible we had a meeting today and decided theres a possibility we could bring things a stage further so will probably need the numbers to swell a bit at that stage for the media

Choccy's picture
Choccy
May 21 2009 20:32

Yep I'll try and get down too

vanilla.ice.baby
May 22 2009 12:33

Hey, I worked briefly for NCP as a parking attendent in Westminster, and they were utter fucking scum of the earth (the company) good luck taking them on. cool

sunshine79
May 22 2009 13:06

cheers vanilla hpoefully we should get them out word is theyve lost all discipline since our protest started were playing on the 2 things they fear most bad publicity and the media

Choccy's picture
Choccy
May 25 2009 14:07

Protests continue, news here