TUC hand the Met a list of 150 "violent activists" ahead of the October 20 demonstration

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Phil's picture
Phil
Aug 20 2012 09:35
TUC hand the Met a list of 150 "violent activists" ahead of the October 20 demonstration

Since I wrote this blog post, it seems that the TUC have gone even further in their collaboration. At a meeting where they promised the cops that the official TUC demo would be the only one happening on the day, they also submitted to them a list of 150 "violent activists." There can be no clearer indictment of the TUC as a whole, and a significant portion of blame for any repression on the day - or pre-emptive arrests such as occurred before the Royal Wedding - must be laid at their door.

NB: I posted this as an update on the blog post itself, but decided to post it here as well to draw further attention to the issue.

the button's picture
the button
Aug 20 2012 09:49

Just when you thought they couldn't go any lower.....

Can't help but wonder what the involvement of Liberty is in all this.

Phil's picture
Phil
Aug 20 2012 09:54

Have they been asked to observe this time, or are the filth and the TUC no longer concerned with pretences?

Either way, given that last time they made specific mention of "violent elements who periodically separated from the main route in order to attack high profile commercial properties and the police before melting into the demonstration once more" whilst ignoring the Fortnum & Mason arrests and the attack on the Trafalgar Square occupiers, I imagine our esteemed defenders of civil liberties couldn't give a toss.

Phil's picture
Phil
Aug 20 2012 09:54

Have they been asked to observe this time, or are the filth and the TUC no longer concerned with pretences?

Either way, given that last time they made specific mention of "violent elements who periodically separated from the main route in order to attack high profile commercial properties and the police before melting into the demonstration once more" whilst ignoring the Fortnum & Mason arrests and the attack on the Trafalgar Square occupiers, I imagine our esteemed defenders of civil liberties couldn't give a toss.

Phil's picture
Phil
Aug 20 2012 09:57

Sorry - double-posted by accident. My bad.

the button's picture
the button
Aug 20 2012 10:06

Have just done a quick google for legal observers TUC 20 October. Your blog is the top result grin . Nothing on the Liberty website, either.

Phil's picture
Phil
Aug 20 2012 10:14

TUC march organiser Carl Roper has called this "bollocks" on Twitter. Which convinces me. cool

Beau Nafyde
Aug 20 2012 10:17

can we get a list of high profile TUC 'leaders'???!!! j/k, don't want to tear apart the march fighting those toads, but fk me that's about as bad as it gets.

no1
Aug 20 2012 10:22

How would the TUC compile a list of "violent activists" ? Do they take the policing of the workers movement to that extent? I can only imagine such a list being full of bullshit, with various union bureaucrats adding whoever is a troublemaker in their eyes. Almost by definition "violent activists" are going to see little value in union organising and if they do, they will keep quiet about it -- so how would the unions know unless they've somehow developed some sort of mini-intelligence agency?

Beau Nafyde
Aug 20 2012 10:28

I'd imagine it might be 'glamourous' or well-known anarchists like Ian Bone, Chris Knight, Charlie Veitch etc? I'm not sure. Perhaps the founders of UKUNCUT? people who've written articles supporting black bloc actions or property damage? people on record with convictions for such actions? high profile anarchist organisers?

whatever the case, it's despicable. the trick is to make the positions of the leaders untenable. when Aaron Porter started 'denouncing' militant students, he was chased away from the demo and had to hide behind the cops. when his subordinates tried to speak from the platform they were pelted with eggs by the crowd.

the button's picture
the button
Aug 20 2012 10:37
no1 wrote:
How would the TUC compile a list of "violent activists" ? Do they take the policing of the workers movement to that extent?

Unite collaborated in the blacklisting of militant electricians. My own former union, CPSA (now part of PCS) used to feed information to the Economic League

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_League_%28United_Kingdom%29

about militants in politically sensitive government departments (which is most of them grin ). It's not so hard to believe, tbh.

Beau Nafyde
Aug 20 2012 10:39

any evidence for this? am spreading the word but the response seems to be that it's "made up"

no1
Aug 20 2012 11:03
the button wrote:
no1 wrote:
How would the TUC compile a list of "violent activists" ? Do they take the policing of the workers movement to that extent?

Unite collaborated in the blacklisting of militant electricians. My own former union, CPSA (now part of PCS) used to feed information to the Economic League

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_League_%28United_Kingdom%29

about militants in politically sensitive government departments (which is most of them grin ). It's not so hard to believe, tbh.

I have no doubt that the TUC would love to do this, I'm wondering about their ability to do so. It's not that hard for a union to work out who's a militant workplace organiser, but that isn't the case for demos. It's not like events like Millbank or M26 "riots" are preplanned and then enacted by "violent activists". I suppose the question is mainly what is meant by "violent activists". Is it any workplace organiser unwilling to follow the line laid down by union bureaucrats? I don't know why such information would be of any use when policing a public order situation.

Harrison
Aug 20 2012 11:17

Maybe the Met should consider contacting Aufheben..?

Phil's picture
Phil
Aug 20 2012 11:45
no1 wrote:
How would the TUC compile a list of "violent activists" ? Do they take the policing of the workers movement to that extent? I can only imagine such a list being full of bullshit, with various union bureaucrats adding whoever is a troublemaker in their eyes.

I imagine that's who they mean. Met will already have intel on those with known criminal histories and who regularly appear on breakaway marches, etc. This will be more a case of outing militants in the unions - i.e. those who've revealed anarchist or other "extremist" sympathies - than anything, I'd guess.

Phil's picture
Phil
Aug 20 2012 11:49
Beau Nafyde wrote:
any evidence for this? am spreading the word but the response seems to be that it's "made up"

I have a source, who wishes to remain anonymous since the way they found out was by being told they were on said list. Same source also backed up previous info about TUC approaching UK Uncut to persuade them not to call action on the same day - which I had learned from somewhere else - so I trust their info.

Obviously, in terms of journalism that still puts it on the level of a "rumour," but people are digging further. And even if the TUC are able to whitewash the whole thing, at least people who could be on the list will be aware in case the police do try to take "preventive measures."

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 20 2012 11:56

I know that stuff you have posted previously has been genuine, however to me this sounds pretty doubtful, not because the TUC wouldn't stoop so low but simply because how would they get hold of this information?

Fall Back's picture
Fall Back
Aug 20 2012 12:27

Finding 150 names of 'potentially violent' activists would be a piece of piss tbf. Assuming it is genuine, it would likely not be info of much use to the police (who will likely have far more extensive info), but is more about the TUC showing willing.

no1
Aug 20 2012 12:48

Agree with Fall Back, this is all about the TUC being eager to live up to their alternative acronym (Tories' Unofficial Cops). Can't imagine such a list being anything more than worthless crap though.

the button's picture
the button
Aug 20 2012 12:50

I had a phonecall from Unite last week asking me if I was going on 20 Oct. Should I be worried? black bloc grin

working class self organisation's picture
working class s...
Aug 20 2012 12:52

If the relationship between union bureaucrats and anarchists is the same in other localities as it is in mine, then it would be easy to compile a list of names, and I am sure some of them would have the desire to do so.

Quote:
I have a source, who wishes to remain anonymous since the way they found out was by being told they were on said list. Same source also backed up previous info about TUC approaching UK Uncut to persuade them not to call action on the same day - which I had learned from somewhere else - so I trust their info.

Sounds a bit more than a rumour.

It may be tinfoil hat time, but I have some worries about meter men that do not exist, and some extremely strange goings on with my mail. In fact, I will blog it later.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 20 2012 12:56
Fall Back wrote:
Finding 150 names of 'potentially violent' activists would be a piece of piss tbf.

I guess if you mean SWP members in some of the unions then that's right

thegunshow
Aug 20 2012 15:48

It sounds unlikely that the TUC would have information on 150 violent activists, I doubt many here could name off 50 solid 'violent' people. If anything the Met has much better information on activists anyway, they already know who the violent people are, not least because Mark Kennedy was living in their homes for years.

150 is the number of people who were arrested at Fortnums though, I can't help but think some wires are crossed here and people were quick to run with it as it ticks all the right ideological boxes. In the absence of further evidence...

thegunshow
Aug 20 2012 15:52

Carl Roper 'TUC National Organiser and big march Chief Steward'

Rumours that TUC has passed names of trouble makers to police ahead of October 20 march are utterly absurd and insulting.

https://twitter.com/RoperCarl/status/237493254415851520

Melancholy of Resistance's picture
Melancholy of R...
Aug 20 2012 16:28

Can you blame them? From another thread:

Quote:
Advice needed for London Oct20
Its beginning to look as though North East Anarchists will need a small convoy of vehicles to transport people to London for the Grand March & stuff. We've therefore been discussing having a commemorative badge struck; the background will be black and red diagonal of course, but we can't agree on a slogan.

Some spikier comrades want:

"We Came, We Saw, We Trashed It"

Whereas the more sober fraction prefer:

"Eat The Middle-Class PCS Quislings!"

What do comrades think?

vanilla.ice.baby
Aug 20 2012 19:11

I think this is nonsense.

I don't doubt that if some TUC bureaucrats had info on "violent demonstrators" after the march they would pass it to be the police - (and frankly that would be legitimate from their point of view, union bureaucrats not pro-anarchist shock), there is absolutely no way for them to compile this info they simply don't have the resources.

It is just about plausible that Unite's stalinist leadership would be able to compile this info as they probably have the best contacts with and deepest links in the activist scene and share it with the cops and that they would love to, but I don't even think they can.