Anarchist groups in Canada

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Boris Badenov
Dec 14 2009 17:07
Anarchist groups in Canada

Besides NEFAC and affiliated groups, and the IWW aside, are there any?

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Dec 14 2009 17:58

There's Common Cause in Ontario. A group or two out West, but at the moment I can't remember. If you ask at ABC you might get a better answer.

Boris Badenov
Dec 14 2009 18:08

I think ABC would probably tell me all about NEFAC and Anarkismo, but what I'm looking for is something more along the lines of an Anarchist Federation. As it happens the wiki article on AF does mention an Anarchist Federation of Quebec, which I would love to get in contact with, but there is no further info on it, and googling will not return any relevant results.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Dec 14 2009 18:15

I've heard that organization mentioned as well, but I know nothing about it at all. I'll ask a few folks if they know about it. If I were you, I'd still go on ABC to ask, I don't think it would hurt.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 14 2009 18:25

I remember in discussions on here about national liberation, the NEFAC people in Quebec were actually pretty sound, and argued an internationalist position. So I don't know if they might be worth dropping a line.

Also one of the people behind prole.info is in Canada, you could drop them a line by the e-mail address on the website.

Boris Badenov
Dec 14 2009 18:40
Steven. wrote:
I remember in discussions on here about national liberation, the NEFAC people in Quebec were actually pretty sound, and argued an internationalist position. So I don't know if they might be worth dropping a line.

I have nothing against NEFAC; I am sure plenty of members have sound politics, but I was just wondering if there is anything other than NEFAC and Anarkismo.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 14 2009 19:22

red and black notes was a Council communist groupin Canada, their stuff is in our library. I believe at least one of the people is still around, he might be a member of Internationalist Perspective now IIRC. So I don't know if there might be anything on that sort of ultraleft side of things as well.

Boris Badenov
Dec 14 2009 19:29

I know abour RnB Notes yeah; they used to have a website iirc but now it's down.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Dec 14 2009 19:43
Steven wrote:
red and black notes was a Council communist groupin Canada, their stuff is in our library. I believe at least one of the people is still around, he might be a member of Internationalist Perspective now IIRC. So I don't know if there might be anything on that sort of ultraleft side of things as well.

If I am not entirely mistaken, one of them writes the blog Notes from Underground. In one post he writes about joining internationalist perspective.

syndicalist
Dec 14 2009 19:53

There's no more Canadian NEFAC. This was a friendly seperation between the Qubeckers and US-NEFAC. The Qubeckers are now called UCL: http://www.anarkismo.net/article/10755

In english speaking Ontarion there is Common Cause: http://www.linchpin.ca/

In Edmonton the W.S.A. has a branch.

Boris Badenov
Dec 14 2009 20:03
syndicalist wrote:
There's no more Canadian NEFAC. This was a friendly seperation between the Qubeckers and US-NEFAC. The Qubeckers are now called UCL

Ah yes, I remember reading about that now.

888's picture
Dec 14 2009 21:40
Vlad336 wrote:
I think ABC would probably tell me all about NEFAC and Anarkismo, but what I'm looking for is something more along the lines of an Anarchist Federation. As it happens the wiki article on AF does mention an Anarchist Federation of Quebec, which I would love to get in contact with, but there is no further info on it, and googling will not return any relevant results.

I suspect there isn't all that much difference politically between the AF (UK) and the UCL. The AF of Quebec is probably some shitty synthesist group with all sorts of confused viewpoints within it (pure speculation - if it really exists it has barely any internet presence). Wikipedia can be very wrong sometimes, e.g. the two french AFs listed there are the same thing, and some of those red links may have been made up by fantasists.

Boris Badenov
Dec 14 2009 21:42
888 wrote:
Vlad336 wrote:

I suspect there isn't all that much difference politically between the AF (UK) and the UCL. The AF of Quebec is probably some shitty synthesist group with all sorts of confused viewpoints within it (pure speculation - if it really exists it has barely any internet presence).

You might be right, and I think it's safe to say that the AFQC has no interenet presence. I will try to look more into what the UCL are about.

fischerzed
Dec 15 2009 23:58

Yeah, I joined Internationalist Perspective before the final issue of Red & Black Notes. The site is gone, but it's mostly in one place at archive.org (and here of course). Notes from Underground is my blog.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 16 2009 19:04

hi, thanks for posting here. Was anyone else involved in red and black notes? are any of them still around?

fischerzed
Dec 17 2009 01:46

R&BN was largely me. Friends helped through distribution or submission, but I did the lions share. Some of the people I worked with drifted into other groups or out of politics.

mikail firtinaci's picture
mikail firtinaci
Dec 17 2009 02:09

irrelevant info;

the turkish anarchist-communist journal "Kara-kızıl notlar" (Black&Red notes) was named after R&BN.