'Baltimore unrest' thread

144 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jamal's picture
Jamal
Apr 30 2015 13:23

Chili I mentioned that in my story at the link above. It seems some of the guys were gang members following orders from gang leaders to help enforce curfews and assist the police.

Another sad development-- one of the teenagers who smashed a police car on film was encouraged by his family to turn himself in. He complied and is now faced with long prison time and bail of half a million dollars. Good job, family, good job.

gram negative's picture
gram negative
Apr 30 2015 13:55
Chilli Sauce wrote:
So, I see there's been some sort of movement towards a "community" response towards, well, effectively policing the protests - lines of people separating the cops and the protesters, encouraging the youth to abide by the curfew, and participating in clean-ups.

Has there been any response to this on the ground? How widespread is this? What's the class composition of these groups? Do they have links to "dissident" establishment politics? I suspect there's an age element here as well, but would be really keen to hear from folks or groups in the city.

there has been policing of the protests from the march that was called saturday - no attempt was made to block any highway despite having over 1000 people before reaching city hall, and during the action at camden yards some were trying to get between the protesters and the police. this only increased on monday, where the NOI, the various gangs, and some members from the western baltimore communities have been trying to act as internal police to the mainly young participants. the pastors, community activists and the aforementioned groups were all demanding 'peace' on monday and an end to the looting, to little avail since most of the youth seem to have little interest in the platitudes of those groups. honestly, it appears that the events of monday by youth freaked out most of these groups, with the actions of the youth exposing that those groups are as little respected as the police are by the youth.

after monday, volunteer cleanup and in west baltimore has come in to full force, with churches and community groups spearheading the activities, but that doesn't mean that cleaning was restricted to official events. the media has jumped on the cleanup activities as well as any friendliness seen between black baltimoreans and police. any of the marches or demos that i have seen since monday have had increasing numbers of 'protest police' working to keep the protests within the bounds of acceptability. my sketchy analysis of the protest police would break them up into older community activist types (http://news.yahoo.com/baltimore-protests-300-men-group-aims-neutral-forc...) from more sociologically middle class backgrounds, younger college activist types (http://www.ibtimes.com/baltimore-youths-protest-freddie-grays-death-stud...), and also local community members who may be of more diverse class compositions.

i went to the march in the last article, and despite again having well over 1000 people with police keeping a far distance, the protest marshals were trying to keep people in the street rather than on the sidewalks, which was ridiculous. after bringing that huge crowd of people to city hall with calls to 'shut down the city' and 'the whole damn system is guilty as hell', this incredibly diverse group of people (many of whom probably had never been to any kind of demo before) were told that all of this energy should diverted into to pressuring the maryland state legislature (which is in recess) to pass some bills to reform police accountability, bills which had already failed in the last session - which would be almost a whole year away. even the police were praising the march yesterday (https://twitter.com/BaltimorePolice/status/593530121803276292)! as part of pushing those bills through, the organizations that called the protest yesterday are holding voter registration drives.

i think that the fury and rage of the youth displayed on monday has terrified many of these groups as well as shown them to be bankrupt and useless, when in the face of the largest social movement in recent baltimore history, what is being offered is passive politics as usual and the jockeying of activists to place themselves as spokespeople and leadership to the indifference of the youth who fought the police on monday.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Apr 30 2015 14:13
Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
Apr 30 2015 14:31

Went to Baltimore solidarity march in Minneapolis last night. Unlike last winter's highway march, which blocked highways, had the cops struggling to keep up with us, and had a preplanned route that was mostly ignored by youth that had done a school walkout, this was very different. I do not know for sure, but it seemed like the route was preplanned and run by the police, it was very slow, the police had blocked traffic ahead of time. An impromptu picket of Whole Foods I heard was aggressively shut down by marshalls. It reminded me of one of those A to B antiwar marches from the Bush years. A lot of talk of peace and happiness by organizers, which was somewhat infuriating.

I think partnof this is that some of the key Black Lives Matter organizers are facing charges for the Mall of America action. The court date is tomorrow. Also, I think the white backlash on this stuff is forcing more moderate black organizers to cede ground and be as nonthreatening as possible. I mean, there was a massive American flag at tje front of the mar h. I dont remember that from the past actions.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Apr 30 2015 14:38

Thanks Gram!

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
May 1 2015 00:16

Latest cover of TIME

A Whole Foods in Baltimore posted the following picture, which backfired and they ended up deleting it.

As usual, The Onion is spot-on.

There is a bail/legal fund started by Baltimore United, which I've never heard of, but I suppose this is legit.

I didn't know they were still around, but Iraq Veterans Against the War put out a statement calling on the Maryland National Guard to stand down.

I'm sure people have already seen some of the fake images circulating that claim to be of Baltimore. I believe Fox News posted a picture, that was actually used 3 years prior (and was fake then) by the Venezuelan opposition. There's other pictures going around that are BS, as well.

Right-wing media was putting on a unsourced article claiming that Freddie Gray had spinal surgery not long ago. The Baltimore Sun pointed out this was false. Another story going around, but more widespread, is that Gray basically severed his own spinal cord by thrashing about in the police van. Now you wouldn't think that something like that would need to be refuted, but apparantly black people have magical, superhuman abilities, so someone had to refute it.

boomerang
May 1 2015 02:15
Juan Conatz wrote:
Latest cover of TIME

Never have I so bad wanted to read TIME magazine.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
May 1 2015 05:41

They've apparently arrested the guy who filmed the Freddie Gray arrest: http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/04/police-just-arrested-man-who-filme...

I wonder what bullshit charge they'll concoct. Ramsey Orta again?

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
May 1 2015 07:00
Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
May 1 2015 07:06

‘Get out of Baltimore': Geraldo Rivera and Dutty Fox News!www.jamrockvybz.com I http://j.mp/KingItal

Posted by JamRockVybz on Thursday, 30 April 2015

Geraldo Rivera schooled by a local

bastarx
May 1 2015 07:34

The Wire writer David Simon on the failure of the Baltimore cops counter-insurgency practices:

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2015/04/29/david-simon-on-baltimore-s...

Edit - from the same site, article about cops Bill of Rights, interesting to see there are still some legal rights the state takes seriously: https://www.themarshallproject.org/2015/04/27/blue-shield?ref=tsfb_strea...

jef costello's picture
jef costello
May 1 2015 08:25
bastarx wrote:
Edit - from the same site, article about cops Bill of Rights, interesting to see there are still some legal rights the state takes seriously: https://www.themarshallproject.org/2015/04/27/blue-shield?ref=tsfb_strea...

Basically cops are not allowed to have any of the tactics they use in interrogations used on them.

wojtek
May 1 2015 12:23

Amia Srinivasan - In defense of anger
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04fc70p

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
May 1 2015 18:53

The 6 officers were had charges filed against them ranging from second degree murder to manslaughter.

gram negative's picture
gram negative
May 2 2015 03:17

we just had at least two wobs arrested for breaking curfew at city hall, with one definitely beat black and blue by the pigs - all after the largest march i've seen in baltimore.

gram negative's picture
gram negative
May 2 2015 03:18

also the police have been corralling media away from where they are making arrests, and revoking the observer badges of the national lawyer's guild and amnesty international observers

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
May 2 2015 08:40

Let us know what we can do in solidarity, Gram.

gram negative's picture
gram negative
May 2 2015 15:40
Chilli Sauce wrote:
Let us know what we can do in solidarity, Gram.

this is just developing, but if any group, us or international wants to start talking about either releasing a statement or signing onto one in support of those arrested and against the special curfew, i think that would be greatly appreciated - either post here or pm me

gram negative's picture
gram negative
May 2 2015 22:21

The two wobs arrested last night have been released this afternoon.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 2 2015 23:23
gram negative wrote:
The two wobs arrested last night have been released this afternoon.

hope they're okay, let us know if there is anything we can do internationally to support

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
May 3 2015 10:38

Succinct comment on structural racism leaves news anchor stumped...

Melissa Harris-Perry, DROPS THE MIC. #Baltimore Community Activist, #DayonLove's Live dissertation on the comparison of corporate structured #MayorRawlings VS. State Attorney Marilyn Mosby, leaves the TV host speechless.>>> Rick Party

Posted by Rick Party on Saturday, 2 May 2015

(it's kinda defending the prosecutor, but still pretty sharp for mainstream media comment)

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
May 3 2015 10:49

Good Novara FM on the Baltimore uprising:

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
May 3 2015 10:51
Jamal's picture
Jamal
May 4 2015 13:24

Joseph Kay...that CNBC clip was charming, reminds me of when the President "dirts off his shoulders". Anyways...

The fellow who gives the break down is so close to putting forward a revolutionary perspective. But notice he blames "white supremacy" and the white power structure for the problems of the community INSTEAD of capitalism and the bourgeoisie, even while incorporating an analysis of the class character of the Mayor of Baltimore versus the Chief Prosecutor. Strange and frustrating to hear

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
May 4 2015 14:24

Well its not either/or. Obviously white supremacy and the white power structure are some if the primary reasons here. But yeah I agree otherwise.

boomerang
May 4 2015 16:14
Jamal Rayyan wrote:
The fellow who gives the break down is so close to putting forward a revolutionary perspective. But notice he blames "white supremacy" and the white power structure for the problems of the community INSTEAD of capitalism and the bourgeoisie, even while incorporating an analysis of the class character of the Mayor of Baltimore versus the Chief Prosecutor. Strange and frustrating to hear

I very much agree with you, and it frustrated me too. On the other hand, I can also understand how white supremacy can be given the full blame here. Racism manifests itself largely by magnifying the impact of class. If there were no white supremacy, the problems facing African-Americans would still exist but only to the same degree that they currently exist for white Americans. Capitalism of course would still be causing them shit, but no more shit than anyone else.

Still, it would have been way more awesome if he had also talked about how capitalism shares the blame!

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
May 4 2015 21:11

That aint confirmed, seems like a lot of conflicting reports.

Jamal's picture
Jamal
May 5 2015 14:40

Juan, boomerang...I agree that structural racism is an essential feature to American capitalism. But how does pointing that out help foster class consciousness/unity?

boomerang
May 5 2015 17:22
Jamal Rayyan wrote:
Juan, boomerang...I agree that structural racism is an essential feature to American capitalism. But how does pointing that out help foster class consciousness/unity?

Because then those who want to abolish racism will understand that this will require abolishing capitalism.

Unfortunately, the guy in the video didn't point out that racism is embedded in capitalism, despite his pointing out that black faces in high places doesn't solve shit... which itself is still pretty awesome for a tv news show!

Jamal's picture
Jamal
May 6 2015 13:59

We need to have a critical view of these movements. Qualitatively it ended up having a lot of the same rhetorical content and effect as Occupy and other past social movements. Ever notice how both this movement and Occupy happened the year before major elections?

Sure tragic events happen all the time. One thing I've definitely learned this past year is cops are beating, shooting and killing all different types of people everywhere all the time.

What comes to mind is the unity of the ruling class. When events like these happen in the social arena it's the bourgeoisie who influences the consciousness of workers and not militants. This all fits perfectly into their picture. They probably even "let it unfold" to some degree. Either way mark it down as a win for the Democrats and capitalism.