Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize. Wtf...

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
gypsy
Oct 9 2009 12:00
Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize. Wtf...

I know there had been dubious winners in the past. But I thought they may have progressed abit.

"US President Barack Obama has been awarded the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize.

The Nobel Committee said he won it for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples".

The committee highlighted Mr Obama's efforts to support international bodies and promote nuclear disarmament.

Mr Obama's spokesman said the president was "humbled" to have won the prize. He said he woke Mr Obama up when he called with the news early on Friday.

There were a record 205 nominations for this year's peace prize. Zimbabwean Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai and Chinese dissident Hu Jia had been among the favourites.

The laureate - chosen by a five-member committee - wins a gold medal, a diploma and 10m Swedish kronor ($1.4m)."

Opinions please.

Yorkie Bar
Oct 9 2009 14:45

Fucksake. He piles soldiers into Afghanistan and they give him the Nobel peace prize. Go figure.

~J.

Black Badger
Oct 9 2009 16:04

In the mid-1970s, the great American songwriting satirist Tom Lehrer was asked why he'd more or less retired from entertainment and his (paraphrased) response was something along the lines of "satire is no longer possible after Henry Kissinger won the Nobel Peace Prize."

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Oct 9 2009 16:15
Sky's foreign affairs editor Tim Marshall wrote:

There will be people who will say this is a marvellous, inspired, award.
But next year let's give it to Miss World. Every year Miss World comes on and says I want world peace and the world free of nuclear weapons. It's a hope, an aspiration.
The deadline for nominations for the peace prize was February 1, so someone nominated the President of America for his achievements 11 days into his presidency.

gypsy
Oct 9 2009 18:12
Black Badger wrote:
In the mid-1970s, the great American songwriting satirist Tom Lehrer was asked why he'd more or less retired from entertainment and his (paraphrased) response was something along the lines of "satire is no longer possible after Henry Kissinger won the Nobel Peace Prize."

Kissengers was pretty shocking.

arminius's picture
arminius
Oct 9 2009 21:14

There have been *loads* of crap winners. Go find a list of them and I guarantee you will puke.

What's the big deal anyway? A bunch of rich fucks decide who they want to give something to. I don't know why everyone thinks it's so damned important.

And in Obama's defence (shit, did I just say that? See how weird this whole thing is?), he never asked for it, his getting it was not at all his fault. But then, there's enough other stuff that is, or soon will be.

Boris Badenov
Oct 9 2009 21:20

Are you fucking kidding me? They just fucking gave it to him like that?! That thing was fucking golden!

Intifada1988
Oct 21 2009 20:49

rofl

Ian
Nov 19 2009 21:05

I think that Obama winning the Peace Prize was a wtf moment, but it's not really surprising. The world is completely Obama-obsessed. I know his election was a historical moment and all, but a Nobel prize nomination less than two weeks into his presidency is ridiculous.