USA Recent Prison strikes

Submitted by Spikymike on July 19, 2016

Has anyone else got information about this as reported and commented on in this short article here:
www.leftcom.org/en/articles/2016-07-08/usa-prison-struggles-spread-nationwide
Could perhaps be updated later.

OliverTwister

7 years 9 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by OliverTwister on July 19, 2016

leftcom

Prisoners have one advantage. They don’t have a union to stop their strikes and tell them to go back to work.

:rolleyes:

I doubt a lot of prisoners would consider that an advantage.

https://iwoc.noblogs.org/

Spikymike

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Spikymike on July 20, 2016

Agree with that comment Oliver a case of overplaying a more general theoretical/analytical point but would be good to get other info and analysis on resistance to the USA prison system.

Schmoopie

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Schmoopie on July 20, 2016

Prisoners have one advantage. They don’t have a union to stop their strikes and tell them to go back to work.

Prisoners do not have Trade Unions but they form unions, they have codes of conduct and they have sanctions that they apply when these codes of conducts are breached.

Sorry, I have no information on the original question.

Juan Conatz

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Juan Conatz on July 21, 2016

Hey Spikymike,

Not sure which part you're asking about. Is it the hunger strike in Wisconsin? Last that I heard, a judge had ordered the hunger strikers to be force fed with tubes.

Spikymike

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Spikymike on July 22, 2016

Thanks for the link. Solitary confinement and force feeding just shows how some things in capitalism and class society more generally don't change! but ongoing prison resistance more generally and the impact of the authorities 'crack down' concerning the potential following this for spreading to September and beyond was what I meant.