Captain Cook's cottage sprayed

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lugius's picture
Lugius
Feb 8 2013 01:48
Captain Cook's cottage sprayed

Two days ago Captain Cook's cottage was sprayed. A Channel 9 reporter contacted the MAC through its Facebook page asking for a statement. It was ignored as the MAC does not regard Cannel 9 as a reputable news-gathering organisation. Here's why;

http://video.au.msn.com/?mkt=en-au&vid=5966e8f5-dc0c-4e85-aa4d-2c1bfb49b364&from=sharepermalink&src=v5:share:sharepermalink:&from=dest_en-au

Can you spot the error?

For those who may not know, Captain Cook is credited with 'discovering' Australia. He wasn't even the first Englishman to set foot in Australia. That was William Dampier in 1688. The first European to set foot in Australia. That was Dirck Hartog in 1616. There is also a fair bit of evidence to suggest that Portugese, Chinese and Maccassans preceded them.

For more on the cottage itself;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Cook%27s_Cottage

ites's picture
ites
Feb 8 2013 14:11

Somebody let Doyle out to play with the big kids again then.

Rats's picture
Rats
Feb 8 2013 13:44

Haha, that's so good. I didn't even know Captain Cook's cottage was in Melbourne, given when he was around Melbourne wasn't a city, let alone its own state.. Was it still just a penal colony? Was it even set up as a penal colony in his lifetime?

I dunno, who cares. Cool graff. Ballsy. Big props.

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen

It's also worth pointing out that the content of her communication led to some incredulity that this was actually from a journalist. Here it is verbatim (minus her mobile number).

Quote:
hey guys, Laura from channel 9 news here. ive been out at captain cooks cottage this morning and following a few articles on the net about the graffitti. one of those articles claims anarchists did the graffitti - im just wondering if you know who these people are and whether i could speak to them so they can explain the reasons behind it. Obvisouly they have a heart felt and strong arguement and we'd love to put it to air to give the story balance. at the moment we have robert dolye and maybe police commenting but i really want the other side of the story. we can blur faces if neccessary. Can you help? im on 04XX XXX XXX. thank you
Rats's picture
Rats

But maybe you should at least contact channel 9 and tell them to set the record straight that it wasn't MAC?

Lumpen's picture
Lumpen
Feb 8 2013 13:58

Sometimes I doubt Channel 9's commitment to accuracy.

Tim Finnegan's picture
Tim Finnegan
Feb 8 2013 14:17

The bit about "self-proclaimed anarchists" was a bit puzzling. On the surface, it seems like it's meant to reassure viewers that these people are actually anarchists, and it's not just the news doing its usual thing of proclaiming any vaguely militant lefties "anarchists". But the way it was intoned seemed to suggest that it made the MAC somehow more objectionable, like only a truly depraved mind would voluntarily accept the label "anarchist", as if the term was a synonym for "goat-fucker".

Weird, weird stuff.

ites's picture
ites
Feb 8 2013 15:17
Tim Finnegan wrote:
The bit about "self-proclaimed anarchists" was a bit puzzling. On the surface, it seems like it's meant to reassure viewers that these people are actually anarchists, and it's not just the news doing its usual thing of proclaiming any vaguely militant lefties "anarchists". But the way it was intoned seemed to suggest that it made the MAC somehow more objectionable, like only a truly depraved mind would voluntarily accept the label "anarchist", as if the term was a synonym for "goat-fucker".

According to Wikipedia "self-proclaimed" means 'a legal title that is only recognized by the declaring person and not any recognized legal authority.' What they seem to be implying is that you can't legitimately hold an anarchist opinion because it's not recognised as valid by those who have yet to recognise their statism as the article of ideology that it is. Nice circular logic there. The commercial television media in this country in particular displays about the same level of journalistic objectivity you'd expect from Pravda.

batswill
Feb 8 2013 15:31

You can't paint over social relationships!

Spassmaschine
Feb 9 2013 01:12
Lugius wrote:

For those who may not know, Captain Cook is credited with 'discovering' Australia. He wasn't even the first Englishman to set foot in Australia. That was William Dampier in 1688. The first European to set foot in Australia. That was Dirck Hartog in 1616. There is also a fair bit of evidence to suggest that Portugese, Chinese and Maccassans preceded them.

And quite possibly Indians as well: http://theconversation.edu.au/study-links-ancient-indian-visitors-to-australias-first-dingoes-11593

Lugius's picture
Lugius
Feb 9 2013 02:34

Captain Cook was killed by Hawaiians in 1779. Nine years before Philip established a penal colony at Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour) on 26 January 1788. The connection with Victoria is that Point Hicks (named after the sailor in the crowsnest that first alerted Cook) was the first land on the east coast of Australia sighted on this voyage (Cook proceded north and did not set foot until Botany Bay). Cook's cottage was deconstructed at its original site in North Yorkshire and shipped to Melbourne in 1934 as part of the centenary celebration of the Victoria (which is dated from Henty landing at Portland Bay).

What this ignored was the attempt to establish at penal colony at Sorrento in 1803. It was from here that the famous Buckley (whose story inspired the expression "You've got Buckley's chance" i.e. no chance) escaped and was eventually adopted by the Wauthaurong. Victoria was originally known as the Port Philip District of New South Wales and was named after the reigning monarch when separated from NSW with its own parliament in 1851. The first Act of the Victorian Parliament was to ban immigration from Van Dieman's Land as a Vandemonian was as good as a convict. This why the attempt to found a penal colony in 1803 was selectively forgotten about when celebrating the centenary in 1934 as the government of the day desired to perpetuate the myth that Victoria was a free-settled colony. There was little mention of the practice of assigning English 'exiles' to wealthy squatters like Henty as indentured labourers.

batswill
Feb 9 2013 03:07

The "Cpt Cook Cottage" operates as a neo-colonialist propagandist symbol, nothing more. I mean, to transport it from England and plant it on Australian soil is flagrant indoctrination. One is not concerned with any sentimentalities when it comes to biographing Jame's personal feelings, I'm sure he was a compassionate and fair person, but we know little about him, he was a pawn of the Empire doing his duty, as many continue to do 240 yrs afterwards. He was a bore, as so many are today working for the Empire. The Hawaiins reacted solely to the body language of imperialism which he exuded excessively.

Rats's picture
Rats
Feb 9 2013 04:01

@batswill
That was the worst joke ever. If you'd maybe said "you can't spray up" or "you can't graff up", i would have been like "FUCK YEAH!"

But no. Just no. If you'd like, we can both delete our posts, and you can make the correct joke.

batswill
Feb 9 2013 04:11
Rats wrote:
@batswill
That was the worst joke ever. If you'd maybe said "you can't spray up" or "you can't graff up", i would have been like "FUCK YEAH!"

But no. Just no. If you'd like, we can both delete our posts, and you can make the correct joke.

I rest on my laurels as being the most publicised graffitist being seen by 2 million people in a day on page 6 of a major tabloid regarding squatter occupation. Nooo, it's no joke, it is still Fuck Yeah!

batswill
Feb 9 2013 05:45

PS Rats, I use this term strictly in an analogous fashion as regards the artistic expression of opposing political institutions,,

'I am the elder stateman of graffiti'

Thankyou wink

princess mob
Feb 9 2013 06:52
Lumpen wrote:
It's also worth pointing out that the content of her communication led to some incredulity that this was actually from a journalist. Here it is verbatim (minus her mobile number).
Quote:
hey guys, Laura from channel 9 news here. ive been out at captain cooks cottage this morning and following a few articles on the net about the graffitti. one of those articles claims anarchists did the graffitti - im just wondering if you know who these people are and whether i could speak to them so they can explain the reasons behind it. Obvisouly they have a heart felt and strong arguement and we'd love to put it to air to give the story balance. at the moment we have robert dolye and maybe police commenting but i really want the other side of the story. we can blur faces if neccessary. Can you help? im on 04XX XXX XXX. thank you

[/quote

Sounds like a journalist to me....

(It reminds me a lot of the emails journos sent Sydney anarchists pre-APEC, the 'best' example of which is discussed here.)

welshboy's picture
welshboy
Feb 9 2013 07:52

Was this done under a dark and angry sky? Do you get those on Oz too?

Lugius's picture
Lugius
Feb 9 2013 13:53

There is an argument advanced in 'White Nation' by Ghassan Hage that Australia is more 'white nationalist' than 'racist'. I think this largely depends on how one defines racism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=a4KwFAPSFPI&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZfahrst2P4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZfahrst2P4

Lugius's picture
Lugius
Feb 9 2013 14:15

Another really good read is 'Talkin' Up to the White Woman' By Eileen Moreton-Robinson.

'talkin' up' being the blackfella English equivalent of 'answering back'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEGsBV9VGTQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Vw4Qo47Oo