Apr 18 2008 23:41
April 24 strikes - post info here

Thread for all stuff about the April 24 strikes, which so far include:
- teachers
- FE lecturers
- Birmingham council workers
- Shelter workers

People striking - what's going on?

On the day especially post stuff going on near you here!

Detailed news article about the day here:
http://libcom.org/news/april-24-tens-thousands-walk-out-18042008

ftony
Apr 22 2008 10:15

Shelter workers are striking on Fri 25th too.

Ed's picture
Ed
Apr 22 2008 10:41

There's a meeting today at Sussex uni to see what we can do to support the strike.. will go along and see what's cracking..

anarcho-punk's picture
anarcho-punk
Apr 22 2008 15:06

9 teachers at my school are NUT members but only 5 are walking out because A2 exams are so close they feel thier first responsiblity is to our education, I've talked to them and they say they would have walked out in February but not now. All other teachers at my school are refusing to cover their lessons so the school has supervisors for those classes who will sit in a classroom with them but not teach, just stop them hurting each other or breaking shit I suppose.
Two schools in Ashford are closing completely due to the number of striking teachers but my mums primary school is staying open though a few teachers are walking out.
I have tried organising a student walk out in support of the teachers but most students at my school don't see the point in fair wages for teachers, tbh thier a bunch of twatrs though, so it'll be fairly uneventfull in Ashford.

Caiman del Barrio
Apr 22 2008 18:17

Fuck it, even if you could persuade 3 or 4 mates to stand outside the gates for an hour or 2 with the 5 teachers it'll be worth it...make a short A5 leaflet which just says: STUDENTS SUPPORT YOUR TEACHERS, something well simple. It will make a difference and will do the world of good to the morale of your 5 strikers.

RE: your fellow students being "twats", of course they are. During the AUT strike in 200...6? I managed to build a solid ground of support around people in my hall, my clique etc (although most of them thought they were broadly "apolitical"), however one girl (who just happened to be a hipster from Yaaark) crossed the line, telling me that "teachers aren't workers". If you ask a teacher if he works then, presumably he'll say no right? My point is you might be surprised...

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 22 2008 21:05
Jack wrote:
Department for Transport, DWP, coastguards, Home Office and Land Registry also striking.

Yup and more. info here:
http://libcom.org/news/100000-civil-servants-strike-april-24-19042008

lrnec
Apr 22 2008 21:38
anarcho-punk wrote:
9 teachers at my school are NUT members but only 5 are walking out because A2 exams are so close they feel thier first responsiblity is to our education, I've talked to them and they say they would have walked out in February but not now. All other teachers at my school are refusing to cover their lessons so the school has supervisors for those classes who will sit in a classroom with them but not teach, just stop them hurting each other or breaking shit I suppose.
Two schools in Ashford are closing completely due to the number of striking teachers but my mums primary school is staying open though a few teachers are walking out.
I have tried organising a student walk out in support of the teachers but most students at my school don't see the point in fair wages for teachers, tbh thier a bunch of twatrs though, so it'll be fairly uneventfull in Ashford.

They doing the paperwork protests? Not taking attendance and stuff like that right?

Tart's picture
Tart
Apr 23 2008 09:40

I would find it hard to support any teachers action- my experience of them (in the dark ages) was very negative and now see the shit the state dictates that they teach as destructive to the student - like cops and screws and social wankersI just think fuck em!

Bob Savage's picture
Bob Savage
Apr 23 2008 09:47

yeah you're right, since teachers have particular things they're forced to teach kids (y'know, by their bosses. y'know, like any other worker), we shouldn't support them trying to stop their wages from being slashed.

yeah it's great logic, thanks for posting, hope to hear more from you.

ChrissyBoy's picture
ChrissyBoy
Apr 23 2008 10:06

The NUT and other unions are organising rallies and marches all around the country.

http://www.teachers.org.uk/story.php?id=4281

Members of Manchester SolFed will be at the Albert Square demo in central Manchester.

Ed's picture
Ed
Apr 23 2008 10:54

And there's one in Brighton at Pavilion Gardens from 11am.. a fair few from Sussex University should be heading down...

ftony
Apr 23 2008 12:00

shit me, that's gonna be one full day of striking! shame i'll be at a funeral...

lrnec
Apr 23 2008 12:02
Tart wrote:
I would find it hard to support any teachers action- my experience of them (in the dark ages) was very negative and now see the shit the state dictates that they teach as destructive to the student - like cops and screws and social wankersI just think fuck em!

So if the police striked against low pay and hard living conditions you wouldn't support them because they are cops? I'm not saying anything either way at the moment I'm just currious as to your saying that you don't want to support teachers or cops or social wankers for any reason what so ever, just asking you to expand on your answer?

RPG
Apr 23 2008 13:57

Any other anarcho's gonna be on the London NUT/UCU/PCS march or rally?

Tart's picture
Tart
Apr 23 2008 14:08

My reaction to teachers is personal as I was bullied and physically abused by a teacher as a young kid (primary school) and that continued through out my "education"in the way other teachers treated my self and children from poorer familys (roma and migrant kids included). I was often roughed up by care workers and verbally abused by socialworkers whilst in "care" . I have been beaten unconcious by the cops and witnessed a family disintergrate after the filth murdered a young man.The murderers bragged about it when hassling other kids in the area. I see all these groups as the cutting edge of the state violence done to my self and those I care about. I have faced a life of being hurt by these brother and sisters and no I wont give my energy to supporting them in their struggle to get a better deal for standing on my neck. Indeed my comment recieved a typically heavy handed teacherish sarcastic reply from some wanker in Bristol. Sorry to think differently but my enemies are not my friends even if they are in dispute with the state.

Beltov
Apr 23 2008 19:26

There were several thousand council workers on strike in Birmingham today. There was a big picket at the refuse tip down the road from me but I only heard about it on the local news when I got back from work. I'm on strike tomorrow (FE) and will be going to the big demo in the city centre, in Victoria Square, at midday distributing our leaflet.
http://en.internationalism.org/wr/313/teachers-strike

Hope to see some of you there...

B.

lrnec
Apr 23 2008 21:29
Tart wrote:
I see all these groups as the cutting edge of the state violence done to my self and those I care about. I have faced a life of being hurt by these brother and sisters and no I wont give my energy to supporting them in their struggle to get a better deal for standing on my neck. Indeed my comment recieved a typically heavy handed teacherish sarcastic reply from some wanker in Bristol. Sorry to think differently but my enemies are not my friends even if they are in dispute with the state.

Ah the good old murder machine of the certificate of education. Good reading if you’ve a mind to look it up and its as relevant today I reckon. I still just can’t help feel that your just lumping everyone in these professions into one basket, painting them all with the same brush or what ever makes more sense.

But anyway the question sort of was if the police or teacher groups came out protesting social injustices you’d automatically reject and refuse to help them based on the fact that they are teachers and cops right?

Alf's picture
Alf
Apr 23 2008 22:28

I've given out some copies of the ICC leaflet at work as well as in the local area. Quite a few people came up to me and asked 'is there going to be a strike here or not?' - both teachers and non-teachers. I told them what the NUT position was - ie Sixth Form colleges have a different employer so they're 'not in dispute' (there was a separate ballot about the pay deal which was accepted by Sixth Form NUT). The response from most was that this didn't sound right...There was no meeting called by the college NUT until today. It was held after the weekly 'staff briefing' (i.e. Senior Management meeting). In other words, immediately after a meeting where a large cross secton of the staff were present, NUT members alone would stay on to talk about the strike. I expressed the view that tomorrow's action involved a lot more than NUT members so was of concern to everyone, and that the meeting should therefore be open to everyone. There was no objection to this, although only a few non-NUT members stayed (me and two or three others). The NUT members agreed to send a letter of support and do a collection. I asked what people felt about not going on strike when 250,000 other teachers were coming out, and the general feeling was that they were not comfortable with it and that it would be better to express solidarity by joining the strike. But there was no push to go further than that. It is very difficult to break with union habits and people are understandably reluctant to take unofficial action, especially in sectors which don't have a strong tradition of doing so. But at least the idea of meetings open to all was not ruled out of court.

Bob Savage's picture
Bob Savage
Apr 23 2008 23:07
Tart wrote:
My reaction to teachers is personal as I was bullied and physically abused by a teacher as a young kid (primary school) and that continued through out my "education"in the way other teachers treated my self and children from poorer familys (roma and migrant kids included). I was often roughed up by care workers and verbally abused by socialworkers whilst in "care" . I have been beaten unconcious by the cops and witnessed a family disintergrate after the filth murdered a young man.The murderers bragged about it when hassling other kids in the area. I see all these groups as the cutting edge of the state violence done to my self and those I care about. I have faced a life of being hurt by these brother and sisters and no I wont give my energy to supporting them in their struggle to get a better deal for standing on my neck. Indeed my comment recieved a typically heavy handed teacherish sarcastic reply from some wanker in Bristol. Sorry to think differently but my enemies are not my friends even if they are in dispute with the state.

so because the teachers from wherever you are were bad, that makes every teacher an enemy?

what about the teachers currently struggling in Oaxaca? same people as the teachers you knew?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 23 2008 23:38

Any more crap about not supporting teachers because you had a bad one will be deleted. This thread is about the April 24 strikes.

alf - so are you intending to just not cross picket lines then despite not being in the NUT? people don't really seem to get victimised for that... do you employers know you're not in the union?

I was talking to people today about our pay offer - we're consulting on it now. One woman was just saying she'd love for us to just walk out right now. It's frustrating because quite a lot of people would like to, not mostly about the pay but just about everything, this being the final straw. But in a national agreement and national employer with 1.5million workers it just seems too big you know?

let us know what happens in your schools/colleges!

Alf's picture
Alf
Apr 24 2008 08:27

Steven: like I say, there is no strike at my workplace so no pickets. If you recall, I wrote an account on libcom of the UNISON strike at my workplace and I along with a good few others (mainly NUT) didn't cross the picket line, although the NUT official line was that they should. There was no victimisation but you always have to be careful. Senior management in education is always telling us that we really should be in trade unions.... I don't know whether the employer is aware that I'm not in the union - probably they would find that hard to grasp. In my previous school when I was hauled up in front of the head for giving out leaflets to the pickets (critical of the union, obviously) she assured me that she too was a good trade unionist.

Mike Harman
Apr 24 2008 15:14

Back to the '70s yada yada

http://www.newstatesman.com/200804240025
http://www.newstatesman.com/200804240024

Ed's picture
Ed
Apr 24 2008 15:40

You cynical bastard catch wink

Anyway, just a few quick bits about Brighton.. lots of hearsay and rumour but I'll have something more concrete later when I have a proper word with one of my mates.

For all the rain the rally in Brighton was alright, maybe 3-400. I've got some pictures which I might upload to the gallery later. There were rallies in Worthing and Lewes as well.

apparently almost all the state secondary schools in Sussex were closed and the few that did stay open were basically as day care centres with no classes going on. A couple of the UCU pickets closed their colleges entirely (Sussex Downs and City College).

yoshomon
Apr 24 2008 16:02

I'm curious what portion of the regular posters here are teachers/professors or students?

Vaneigemappreci...
Apr 24 2008 16:23

Staff at shelter in birmingham manned picket lines again today, a total of four people (1 manager) crossed the picket line out of a staff of approximately 30, in Sampsons terms this means over 5 out of 6 workers didnt turn up for work!! Though some people had the day off sick and chose not to picket.

There was a mass rally in Victoria Square where i'd estimate around 5,000 joined a brief march around the city centre. The police acted like belligerent pedants by threatening to arrest a number of wobblies who unfurled a banner with the heading "Birmingham Shitty Council". Police claimed the banner was offensive and that they would arrest us on public order offences. A union steward told us to do what the police told us because "we pay for them to serve us" and he then followed that up by telling us we were trying to spoil a "professional demonstration". Apart from these distractions it was a good day out!

ftony
Apr 24 2008 18:24
RPG wrote:
Any other anarcho's gonna be on the London NUT/UCU/PCS march or rally?

didn't go to any fo this cos of a funeral but my bus went past a PCS picket line on Fleet Street. i shouted and waved out the bus window but because i was wearing a suit i'm pretty sure they thought i was jeering sad laugh out loud

will be at the Shelter picket tomorrow AM.

anarcho-punk's picture
anarcho-punk
Apr 24 2008 19:51

A few teachers went for paperwork protest but not in a major way, no picket outside my school so no students could support it though we did get a laugh at assembly when the deputy head said the strike was a waste of time and got chanted with "what a wanker" by all of us lovely wonderfully polite students, he left blushing like a stwaberry. Teeheehee