Brighton Solidarity issue 1

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fall Back's picture
Fall Back
Dec 6 2007 19:04
Brighton Solidarity issue 1

What do you get if you cross an Irish Platformist, an ashamed revolutionary, an anti-deutsch male feminist, a shaolin left communist and a burnt out semi-syndicalist with a small penis?

The synopsis of an incredibly poor lefty sitcom.

However, if you combine the finest political minds of the Brighton revolutionary tradition, you get Brighton Solidarity issue 1. - download it here.

Plan is to distribute a couple thousand copies door to door.

Comments, praise and gratuitous abuse, please!

(and if you notice any typos, tell us quick, it goes to the printers on Monday).

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Dec 6 2007 19:39

I thought it was pretty good, although aren't you selling out by showing a Michael Moore film?

a few minor points

Your France thing is a little inaccurate.
The air rifle (if he's talking about the incident at Censier/Tolbiac) was an old guy randomly shooting at someone rather than a fascist group.
Also the kid that was shot in the face in Caen was shot using a flashball (rubber bullet type gun, I think similar to baton rounds but I'm not sure.) rather than a gun.

Quote:
These plans are
gambling fire services against
coincidence of fires, and that’s a
gamble with people’s lives

I'd change this if I were you, it's a bit clumsy.

Stop using the word muppets it sounds stupid.
And don't describe yourselves as working class tongue

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Dec 6 2007 20:04
Quote:
if you can think of something better we'd happily use it.

chumps
scags
dregs of society
liberals
?

Getting really picky (seriously, design work is a good 50% about being an anal bastard) design bits:

Pg1: You can knock 'NHS for sale' down a line, it's not level at the bottom and give it a bit of space from the intro box. Words in the Inside bar can be bigger as there's plenty of room.

Pg2: More gap between the second par and the 'how this will affect you' needed, you're four lines shy on the third column... Who we are text is a bit close to the bottom of the box.

Pg3: France in revolt headline should be column wide at least, byline should probably be at the end really as that's the style in the 'where we stand' bit. Text is way too close to the 'you couldn't make it up' box I'd drop a couple of lines to make it fit better (never be afraid to massacre text to make it fit in properly wink).

Pg4: Fine apart from the film nights block at the bottom is slightly too tall to match up to the front page bit.

Also when you're printing it you might want to swap the first two bits over otherwise you'll end up with the masthead and splash on the back page.

Writing bits: I'd go local on the front page, national on the inside. Your draw as a local collective is primarily your understanding of how things are directly affecting people where you are, no point in trying to tell them national stuff before framing it in their personal experiences, otherwise you're only talking to the abstract.

Yew slag.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Dec 6 2007 20:15
Quote:
You could have told me before I embarassed myself in public.

Where's the fun in that?

Edit: Nah wasn't suggesting you had the running order wrong or anything, just as something for future issues - and bearing in mind that really good articles can run bigger on the inside than they can do on the outside...

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Dec 6 2007 21:17

i'm a left communist now? cry

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Dec 6 2007 21:27

shit I had you down as the anti-deutsch male feminist...

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Dec 6 2007 21:39

I thought Joseph K was the void at the centre around which the group was constructed.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Dec 6 2007 22:44
jef costello wrote:
I thought Joseph K was the void at the centre around which the group was constructed.

well, i have missed a few meetings for spurious reasons...

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 7 2007 10:12
Jack wrote:
We'll edit the France bits tho (we had to quite heavily edit down the article so lost a fair bit of detail) I meant to PM it to you to check it factually first actually, but forgot because I am a drunken dickhead. embarrassed Glad I got it off you anyway tho!

You should put this in library and put text version in there too - you could put longer versions of articles in online edition...

You think door to door is the best way of distroing? have you ever heard of anyone getting good results from that? I reckon you'd be lucky if 1 in 50 got read.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Dec 7 2007 10:21
John. wrote:
You think door to door is the best way of distroing? have you ever heard of anyone getting good results from that? I reckon you'd be lucky if 1 in 50 got read.

i'm not sure it is, but we're going to agree some measures of effectiveness before we do it so we can gauge if it's worth the effort

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 7 2007 10:30
Jack wrote:
the wsm tell me they do well off of it. Also, remember this is brighton, full of lefty weirdos. wink

well from what they've said on here about it i'm unconvinced, but if you assess it then decide then cool.

Quote:
Next one will have specific workplace stuff (me and jk have big high profile things happening at our workplaces) so will be more targeted.

you should mention that stuff on here as well instead of just saying weird stuff to j rogue

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Dec 7 2007 10:34
Jack wrote:
While you 'analyse', i do. Be the change you want to see, comrade!

well who's hogging all the activististivististy points then? tongue

oisleep's picture
oisleep
Dec 7 2007 10:35

i like the layout

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Dec 7 2007 10:35
Jack wrote:
Just saw this edit. Yea, definitely agree- in principle we'd always wanna lead on a local angle.

and will be, next issue

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Dec 7 2007 11:15
John. wrote:
you should mention that stuff on here as well instead of just saying weird stuff to j rogue

i might set up a puppet account to talk about it, jack would be wise to too since he's still not changed his username.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Dec 7 2007 12:14

do any other solfed branches have platformist moles? we should be told!!!

dara
Dec 7 2007 16:44
Quote:
once the subs go up

already done, get the team ready.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Dec 7 2007 16:46

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Dec 7 2007 17:43
dara wrote:
Quote:
once the subs go up

already done, get the team ready.

i voted the '% of income' system in knowing i was about to get laid off, suckers!

ronan
Dec 7 2007 20:05

i also like the 'that's capitalism' rip off. great stuff lads.

martinh
Dec 7 2007 21:58

I'm still trying to work out which one of the above is Jack. confused

Brighton newsletter looks good. Not so sure about the use of the @-word everywhere though.

We're a bit thin on the ground in South London at the moment, and are planning on doing a newsletter, soon.

Can we have an Irish platformist mole too? Or maybe we've already got one and I haven't noticed groucho

Regards,

Martin

ronan
Dec 7 2007 22:16
martinh wrote:

Can we have an Irish platformist mole too? Or maybe we've already got one and I haven't noticed groucho

we also offer an anarcho exchange programme.

Lone Wolf's picture
Lone Wolf
Dec 8 2007 05:10
Saii wrote:

Ah cool - that's the pic i sourced and posted somewhere on here a while ago - can't remember who it was aimed at - prob. revol ...smile

Martin - take heart, you have a new member soon as you know -well new for SL anyway - in part thanks to the support of one of your fellow local Afeders... plus i may know someone new for the Film Nights... don't say i never do anything for you guys.. smile (not that you have, you are one of the good guys. tongue )

Love

LW XX

PS plus also you get Alan back next year.. can you contain that excitement??