Class War disbands (again)

82 posts / 0 new
Last post
welshboy's picture
welshboy
May 4 2011 19:47

Yeah, sorry. Didn't make that clear enough.

KriegPhilosophy's picture
KriegPhilosophy
May 4 2011 19:51

My face:
@ class war sticker.

I completely understand what your saying "Arbeiten", but I still take time to piss off religious people because I'm a dick.

nastyned
May 4 2011 19:58

Nothing wrong with a bit of anti-clericalism.

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
May 4 2011 19:59

Yeah I used to be the same haha, especially when i used to listen to a lot of heavy metal! Now I think it can get in the way, of course if i were in American bible belt I would probably be a lot more militant about it.

As for the class war populism, I think they went too far, but it can be a useful tool in the right circumstances. Tory Scum here we come, anti-Toff, etc,etc. has been really productive in Britain over the past couple of months. We just need to spread it to the LibDem and the Labour party, then we can start talking real politics grin

Harrison
May 4 2011 20:14

come on guys, surely the real issue is that one of the forum admins left an anti-semitic comment on their forums, in addition to being a total dick.

i agree with Arbeiten over the populist stuff. i'd also say its not that populist either; theres nothing inherently working class about being pricks

KriegPhilosophy's picture
KriegPhilosophy
May 4 2011 20:21
Harrison Myers wrote:
i agree with Arbeiten over the populist stuff. i'd also say its not that populist either; theres nothing inherently working class about being pricks

Lmao!

raw
May 4 2011 20:24
welshboy wrote:
Harrison Myers wrote:
888 wrote:
What's wrong with that?

if by their logic, all people in suits are capitalists, they'd be condoning the shit-filled condom bashing of all the jewish anarchists who inhabited the east end of london in the early 20th century. oh wait, they'd probably do that anyway because they are tight jewish fuck wads like

That image is from the mid 80's and was part of Class War's anti yuppie stuff. So not just 'people in suits'.

KriegPhilosophy wrote:
Fuck really? that's fucked up, pic?

This is the effigy placed into the design of stickers that CW used to publish so you can see how dodgy it was.
removed fake sticker from the quote too - admin

I think some admin should remove that fake sticker - as I understand it it was produced by someone on these forums.

Secondly, the anti-religious bonfire had exactly the same "puppet" used for all the effigies including Jesus Christ and Margaret Thatcher. If it helps at all the "Muhammed" puppet was made by an ex-muslim women from Pakistan.

Surely the anti-semitic comment from "Class War Admin" is probably reason enough to see the end of Class War - especially if its people like that running it.

Harrison
May 4 2011 20:30
888 wrote:
Well we don't know what they knew about the guy in the suit, maybe he deserved it. There's no implication in the picture that anyone in a suit is a capitalist.

tbh i don't really think anyone is deserving of a shit-filled condom in the face, because i'm not completely fucking infantile.

the title of the picture is 'bash the rich',it doesn't print anything about the guy to imply he is 'deserving', so it can only be saying 'guys in suits are capitalists'.

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
May 4 2011 20:32

Why are people treating CW like a whipping boy? FFS. Calling someone a 'jewish whatever' can have all kinds of connotations, including racist ones. We have already had the piece about the bonfire, but comparing their logo to the SS's is just fucking stupid. Its all just part of the CW class caricature thats been dissected at length.

Harrison
May 4 2011 20:41

hi Joe, i'm not saying their politics are comparable to fascism.
i posted the logo pic comparison to show why i don't like anarchist groups using skulls, because it reminds me of nazism. (SS, Combat18 etc).

and jewish + tight (in regards to money) is unrescuable.

OliverTwister's picture
OliverTwister
May 4 2011 22:59

Do you think they disbanded because Osama was killed?

ocelot's picture
ocelot
May 4 2011 23:53
888 wrote:
Steven. wrote:
Harrison Myers wrote:
i stand corrected, it is still there. i'm really surprised at it, even for Class War it is out of order

I don't know, it's certainly not any worse than this

What's wrong with that?

LOL. That's an old Chumbawamba spoof. The baldy fella is Danbert and the guys in suits are Boff and another band member. They staged these photos to see if CW would print them. They did. That was like a quarter of a century ago.

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
May 5 2011 00:25

aaaahahahahahahaha!

Harrison
May 5 2011 00:42

lol, now i just look stupid for being all up-in-arms over it.

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
May 5 2011 03:00

anarcho-happy slap

Battlescarred
May 5 2011 08:09

Raw is right, the fake sticker should be removed.

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
May 5 2011 09:17
Quote:
i posted the logo pic comparison to show why i don't like anarchist groups using skulls, because it reminds me of nazism. (SS, Combat18 etc).

This surprises me.The CW logo is obviously based on the Jolly Roger skull'n'crossbones pirate flag, dating from at least the 1700s. Skull'n'bones has been used by many prior to and since the Nazis; Royal Navy submarines in WWI & II, US military, as a hazard symbol for presence of poisonous substances, sports teams, childrens' play costumes etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolly_Roger

MannyCalavera's picture
MannyCalavera
May 5 2011 09:57
Red Marriott wrote:
Quote:

This surprises me.The CW logo is obviously based on the Jolly Roger skull'n'crossbones pirate flag, dating from at least the 1700s. Skull'n'bones has been used by many prior to and since the Nazis; Royal Navy submarines in WWI & II, US military, as a hazard symbol for presence of poisonous substances, sports teams, childrens' play costumes etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolly_Roger

Not just then. The sub that sank the Belgrano flew it when coming back into port.

tigersiskillers
May 5 2011 09:59
Arbeiten wrote:
As for the class war populism, I think they went too far, but it can be a useful tool in the right circumstances. Tory Scum here we come, anti-Toff, etc,etc. has been really productive in Britain over the past couple of months. We just need to spread it to the LibDem and the Labour party, then we can start talking real politics grin

But this highlights one of the problems with CW/Boneified politics to me. With the anti-Toff stuff it comes across as if it would all be ok if Cameron wasn't so posh. That's not their aim, but it's the implication of their loudest messages.

They've never been a class struggle group, it's always been identity politics - worse, one based on a caricature.

On the image - obviously the skull was never meant to be a totenkopf, but unless you're a Pirates of the Caribbean lover it's hardly a rallying symbol. Always makes me think of that Mitchell and Webb sketch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEle_DLDg9Y

ocelot's picture
ocelot
May 5 2011 12:48

Re the skull & bones thing. I'm pretty sure most St. Pauli fans would take offence at the implication there was something inherently nazi about the jolly roger. It's the association with piracy that is the reason both for the Hamburg squatters (and thus St. Pauli fans) and CW adopting it. In the latter case due to the (somewhat apocryphal) reason that when the death penalty was repealed they never repealed the Treason Act which explicitly mandates the death penalty for a couple of things (e.g. debasing the coin of the realm - RBS take note!) including piracy, and flying the jolly roger/jolie rougier (originally the red flag, hence why the UK navy has a red ensign, a legacy of their privateer origins) is defined as piracy - i.e. it's treason against the crown (which suited Bone's royalist obessions)

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 5 2011 13:37
ocelot wrote:
888 wrote:
Steven. wrote:
Harrison Myers wrote:
i stand corrected, it is still there. i'm really surprised at it, even for Class War it is out of order

I don't know, it's certainly not any worse than this

What's wrong with that?

LOL. That's an old Chumbawamba spoof. The baldy fella is Danbert and the guys in suits are Boff and another band member. They staged these photos to see if CW would print them. They did. That was like a quarter of a century ago.

that's pretty funny - did class war know it was a spoof when they printed it?

ocelot's picture
ocelot
May 5 2011 14:13

No, that was the point of the spoof, to take the piss out of CW.

madashell's picture
madashell
May 5 2011 16:25
JoeMaguire wrote:
Calling someone a 'jewish whatever' can have all kinds of connotations, including racist ones.

And the non-racist ones would be...?

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
May 5 2011 19:35
madashell wrote:
JoeMaguire wrote:
Calling someone a 'jewish whatever' can have all kinds of connotations, including racist ones.

And the non-racist ones would be...?

Dont make me look for the word nigger or paki in the search function and tell me they all hold the same connotation, trying to imply the same meaning. The offense aside, whether you like it or not this could have been an injoke or someone thinking they were being ironic.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
May 6 2011 19:25

If you were going to take the piss out of christians you could do it without being racist or using racist stereotypes. For example most of the (extremely objectionable) evangelical churches around my area are black African churches, opposing them on the grounds that they are blood sucking charlatans is ok, but racist caricatures doesn't have any place in that.

Samotnaf
May 7 2011 01:07
Quote:
If you were going to take the piss out of christians you could do it without being racist or using racist stereotypes.

If the Romans had had modern technology, there'd be millions of people walking around with little electric chairs round their necks.

Wellclose Square
May 7 2011 12:40

Some more historical context for the 'skull and crossbones' here:

"William Davidson, a black trade unionist and a revolutionary, was executed on May Day 1820. Davidson was born in the then pirate capital, Kingston, Jamaica and put a skull and crossbones on a black flag to say: “Let us die like men and not be sold like slaves.”* He was executed for being part of a conspiracy to kill the entire cabinet, which was hoped to give the spark to a revolution in Britain."

I believe he took to the platform at a Reform meeting (Spa Fields? London Corresponding Society-organised) clutching this banner.

raw
May 8 2011 19:58
Wellclose Square wrote:
Some more historical context for the 'skull and crossbones' here:

"William Davidson, a black trade unionist and a revolutionary, was executed on May Day 1820. Davidson was born in the then pirate capital, Kingston, Jamaica and put a skull and crossbones on a black flag to say: “Let us die like men and not be sold like slaves.”* He was executed for being part of a conspiracy to kill the entire cabinet, which was hoped to give the spark to a revolution in Britain."

I believe he took to the platform at a Reform meeting (Spa Fields? London Corresponding Society-organised) clutching this banner.

I always thought the class war skull & crossed bones logo was "stolen" from the poison girls

Harrison
May 8 2011 20:45

i do think the skull and crossbones looks cool, its just to me it holds a similar kind of poltical stigma as a hammer & sickle does to statism

MannyCalavera's picture
MannyCalavera
May 10 2011 11:20
Harrison Myers wrote:
i do think the skull and crossbones looks cool, its just to me it holds a similar kind of poltical stigma as a hammer & sickle does to statism

http://ianbone.wordpress.com/

You've been noticed...