IWA Congress report-backs?

171 posts / 0 new
Last post
syndicalist
Dec 10 2009 14:49
IWA Congress report-backs?

Comrades, it is my understanding that the IWA Congress was to happen last weekend in Brasil. How did it go?

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Dec 10 2009 15:05

The delegate only just got back but seems to have been enthused by it. Full details are due to go to Solfed members once he's rested up a bit wink.

Jason Cortez
Dec 10 2009 15:59

Yes but did he get a tan?

petey
Dec 10 2009 16:05

no please that's for the version in libcommunity, i'd like to hear some report-backs myself. i understand from rob ray that it'll be a few days, yes?

syndicalist
Dec 10 2009 16:05

Ah, please.....serious discussion....please.

Jason Cortez
Dec 10 2009 16:14

No chance, as it won't be for a while that we are able to report back

Jason Cortez
Dec 10 2009 17:47

way to go Jack wall

Libertaria's picture
Libertaria
Dec 12 2009 03:06

I wonder if non-IWA, IWA-supporters could get some sort of update.

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
Dec 12 2009 11:10

I'm also pretty interested on what came out of that.

OliverTwister's picture
OliverTwister
Dec 12 2009 11:17

I met one of the COB comrades this summer, I was pretty impressed. I'm curious to see the updates in other languages.

Mark.
Dec 12 2009 13:22

Brief reports in Portuguese:

Brazil Indymedia
http://midiaindependente.org/pt/red/2009/12/460465.shtml

COB
http://cob-ait.net/

OliverTwister's picture
OliverTwister
Dec 12 2009 22:17

They are basically press releases saying that the congress was successful as was the parallel seminar on autonomous unionism in the americas.

888's picture
Dec 12 2009 22:42
Jason Cortez wrote:
No chance, as it won't be for a while that we are able to report back

Can't someone give some kind of unofficial report back?

akai
Dec 13 2009 01:04

http://www.aitrus.info/node/496
http://cnt-ait.info/article.php3?id_article=1744
http://zsp-msp.blogspot.com/2009/12/kongres-miedzynarodowego-stowarzyszenia.html

Try your language skills.
Last link will also give a hint about one piece of news.

888's picture
Dec 13 2009 01:39

OK, quick translation/summary of French CNT-AIT article for the benefit of others:

24th congress, Brazil 4-6 december, first time congress was held outside Europe.

Discussed different internal organisation questions as well as current and upcoming campaigns.

Decided to intensify campaign for the ASI members in prison. ASI will organise an international camp (as in pitching tents) in Croatia. CNT will do the same in Spain. Campaigns were discussed including temp work and a conference on precarious employment.

The congress brought several changes to the composition of the IWA. Good news: new section in Poland, ZSP. Czech section will eventually renew its membership, to be confirmed. Still no info for several years about Nigerian section so it is withdrawn from member list.

The congress was a success, even though there were too many topics to deal with, which would have required an extension of the congress. The atmosphere was very positive, despite the Serbian situation - the comrades are expecting their organisation to be declared terrorist (by those who carried out genocides a decade ago) and therefore banned, which will certainly have repercussions on the IWA and its sections. All sections have accepted to join the support campaign and continue the fight against power and capital.

Next congrss in Spain. IWA secretariat now in Norway - NSF-IWA.

kc
Dec 13 2009 12:42

How did it go..............?

French CNT-AIT: "The congress was a success", "Czech section will eventually renew its membership", "IWA secretariat now in Norway - NSF-IWA".
Syndicalist, any more questions?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 13 2009 14:11

thanks for the translation 888

syndicalist
Dec 13 2009 15:31

kc....yes, i have lots of questions and doubt I will get any answers until the section's do their internal report-backs and documents become available.

the information provided in the press releases are really without meat, but i expect that from the initial press releases.

akai
Dec 13 2009 21:52

If you have concrete questions, why don't you just ask them?

Personally, I don't feel like there is any purpose reporting on most matters discussed there on the internet; really that only serves for internet gossipers. I think there were a few concrete ideas and plans made, but probably it is better to wait for these initiatives to get off the ground concretely.

I personally don't know if somebody else feels the need to make a long report; I really don't. I am just most interested in implementing some of the concrete ideas there. We already have a big schedule of events for January and are looking forward to successful and beneficial cooperation with the comrades internationally.

Also we want to do some more concrete solidarity for comrades who are being repressed. The situation of ASI is well known. Now there are some problems with FAU in Berlin and we hope there will be a swift international response.

Shorty's picture
Shorty
Dec 14 2009 01:04
akai wrote:
Now there are some problems with FAU in Berlin and we hope there will be a swift international response.

Are you referring to this? http://www.fau.org/artikel/art_091212-141820
I only just found out, bad news.

petey
Dec 14 2009 01:55

ich kann das nicht verstehen

OliverTwister's picture
OliverTwister
Dec 14 2009 04:39

Akai it is useful for IWA supporters in countries where there is no section (like the USA) to hear report-backs...

ETA: Also, congratulations on taking Poland off of the list of countries with no IWA section.

AES's picture
AES
Dec 14 2009 05:10

ZSP-MSP comrades, welcome to the IWA!

[de|en] http://tinyurl.com/yaspbj4
[pl|en] http://tinyurl.com/yc9vb99

syndicalist
Dec 14 2009 05:21

Akai....I will ask questions when I know the substance of what was discussed at the conference. If the IWA doesn't share with other anarcho-syndicalists what is talka bout, well, then we'll all just have to wait it is announced on the big stage.

I get the luker issue. But this is the only forum where members of the IWA seem to respond to questions. Private questions will be asked in a private manner.

Agian, I will wait to see whatever documents, proposals, etc before I try and ask intellegent and not jerk-off questions.

robot's picture
robot
Dec 14 2009 05:33

Concerning the FAU, Laure is refering to a restrainiung oder of the higher Berlin-Brandenburg labour court against the Berlin local of the FAU three days ago. This order interdicts the Berlin local to name itsself a "union" or an "alternative union" and fines each individual attempt to do it anyhow with up to € 250,000. That order is part of a conflict between the mangement of the Kino Babylon GmbH and the FAU branch over wages, working conditions and regularisation of temp workers in that company. The management is backed up in that conflict by the local SPD / Die Linke government at Berlin (social democrats and left social democrats) and ver.di, the monopolist public sector trade union within the DGB trade union federation. Restraining orders under Germany law are released without hearing or even notifying the accused party.

If that sentence cannot be repelled, it would be the first time a union in Germany is de facto forbidden since the nazi regime in 1933. And it might serve as an authoritative precedent against every attempt in Germany to build unions others than the reformist monopolist trade unions of the DGB.

This is only a short summary in order to explain what Laure was talking about. There will be more information about what happened and what people might do within a couple of days. Translation into English, Spanish, French, Polish and Slovakian is currently prepared. We will of course keep you informed.

AES's picture
AES
Dec 14 2009 05:34

who said we don't share what's being talked about with other anarcho-syndicalists ? there are at least sixty IWA-AIT websites constantly providing information and updates on what's happening with our affiliates

AES's picture
AES
Nov 4 2012 17:07

petey
Dec 14 2009 05:40

vielen dank

AES's picture
AES
Nov 4 2012 17:09

syndicalist
Dec 14 2009 05:49

Actual AES, I made the point about info sharing by the IWA, not IWA Sections, friends and so forth. I doubt most comrades have the time and opportunity to read 60 sites and many of the languages they appear in. As ex-IWA I have a deep interest and so I try and read them, but their news is more about the sections, etc (a good thing) then about IWA stuff.

My opinioon is that the IWA as an international does not do a good job at information sharing or trying to make good international information and develop campaigns which might attract some whio are not part of the IWA.

The IWA can manage its business in the way it see fits, I understand that. Obviously none of us conduct all of our business on public lists. I understand and respect that. But there is more to being an effective international then issuing a press release that basically says "we're all happy" (my words).

AES's picture
AES
Dec 14 2009 06:01

my understanding is that it was a constructive congress in many ways based on the limited information i have had access to. btw, i wasn't having a dig at you my point was simply that decisions made by anarcho-syndicalist organisations are made public by means of websites. i feel that most of us would agree that communication methods should be improved to assist with broader co-ordination as an international organisation. having said that, key members of our former secretariat have been arrested on trumped up charges and the setbacks caused by this are being dealt with