NIHILIST — Ukrainian anarchist online zine

69 posts / 0 new
Last post
Uncreative's picture
Uncreative
Mar 29 2018 17:33
Raja Otek wrote:
Nope. anarchism means try to listen and understand other people context first

Ah, here is the crux of the problem - I thought anarchism was an anti-state, anti-capitalist political philosophy. My mistake.

Raja Otek wrote:
do not inherit your imperialist forefathers narration whose trying to enforce other people to follow you and worship you as a master.

Telling someone over a web forum that enthusiastically joining their states military doesn't accord with anarchist principles is not the same thing as "trying to enforce other people to follow you and worship you as a master". Where are you getting this from?

Raja Otek wrote:
Btw, i heard Queen Elizabeth is returning back all the wealth her forefathers robbed from the people of south east asia and turn herself as an anarchist. Great to see how successful the work of anarchist there! Good for you to keep it to yourself but then write it up...

As you and your Ukrainian comrades have established (and who am i, a humble lacky of British imperialism, to disagree?), people are not allowed to comment on what anarchist movements in other countries are doing, whether it has been succesful, makes any sense, or is even anarchism

EDIT:

Raja Otek wrote:
join your states army, literally fight alongside actual neo-nazis for the national cause, stand for parliament, join the police, whatever. ----- who?

The folks at NIHILIST have joined their states army, as have the neo-nazis of the Azov battalion.

2C-B
Mar 29 2018 20:19

All the arguments against joining the army in Ukraine breaks the question: if it is "taboo", then how can anarchists survive and protect human rights from foreign military aggression without having their own means-like anarchist battalions with tanks, infantry fighting vehicles and artillery, with a statute and a tribunal against their own war criminals? Do we need to be ashamed to remain silent about our activity in the conventional forces? Or is someone ready to give money for military equipment for an anarchist army in Ukraine?

None of the people gathered here will have an answer to this question, since no one has the experience of directly threatening their home and their rights at such a level as it happened and is happening in Ukraine. Your friends, who are not even radicals, did not shoot crowds of police and snipers on the streets (I'm talking about the Maidan revolution). Nobody took home, work and civil rights from you, having established in the city the military junta of Russian nationalists (I'm talking about the war in the Donbass).

It turns out that the argument against the participation of an anarchist in the army even in such a period is a purely subcultural, religious, lifestyle issue, rather than rational thinking and readiness for accountability greater than the destruction of the bank's showcase on the May Day rally. In fact, some people in this discussion banally refuse to military anarchists to consider themselves as anarchists, referring to the texts that are not connected with modernity and do not reflect real circumstances. Risorgimento, the second Spanish Republic, the resistance movement in France... They did not exist? Or were they all wrong?

Once again, but honestly: what should a Ukrainian anarchist do if his rights and life itself are under attack by the forces of the neighbour imperialist state?

2C-B
Mar 29 2018 20:22

Dark Enlightenment for Ukraine

Quote:
Recently we’ve published a series of texts about a techno-fascist philosophy with the pathetically funny title Dark Enlightenment. This philosophy born in the US, denies democracy and equality, preaches racism, absolute market freedom, «traditional values» and the subordinate position of women. It’s alternative self-name — neoreaction — speaks for itself. The adepts of the Dark Enlightenment are sure that they are creating an influential secret society that works to restore the social foundations of the time of absolute monarchy, while promoting transhumanism and other high-tech ideas about improving humanity.

Furthermore this is not the story of a couple of freaks — the philosophy is successfully developing, there are influential intellectuals among its creators and supporters, including it should be separately highlighted Nick Land. He combines neo-reaction with accelerationism, and in the formulation of his ultra-capitalist and misanthropic ideology relies (this is not an abusive language, Land is an honest and open misanthrope), among other things, on Marxist and Deleuzian theory. However, Land himself repeatedly admits that the union of religious fanatics, racists and neo-futurist technocrats is situational and temporary — they will kill each other if they have to share one state.

jura's picture
jura
Mar 29 2018 23:32
2C-B wrote:
Once again, but honestly: what should a Ukrainian anarchist do if his rights and life itself are under attack by the forces of the neighbour imperialist state?

Let me try. First, the choice that you are implying (join the national army) is never available to all, for a variety of reasons (health, age, gender). Second, in a life-or-death situation (unlike the frozen conflict of the present), it's common sense to fight for bare survival. If individual anarchists wanting to survive and protect their families etc. see no choice but to enlist, then so be it, but they should not confuse this with anarchist or any sort of progressive political activity, and they should not try to cover this up with defencist ideology. It's better to abandon any pretense than to spread illusions. Third, given the absence of any wider workers' movement or any influence of anarchists in Ukrainian society, the idea of a separate workers' militia is an illusion. In this situation, if there's a choice, I think it's always better to opt for retreat, to try to preserve anarchist militants and their organization, and if circumstances allow that, try to put forward the classical internationalist and defeatist positions, and put them in practice, whether through open or illegal activity. Otherwise, avoid the draft and wait it out, or seek exile.

2C-B
Apr 20 2018 08:10
jura wrote:
First, the choice that you are implying (join the national army) is never available to all, for a variety of reasons (health, age, gender).

That's right, trans-people, children, persons with disabilities and old people have no ability to join the army. But there is always a possibility to join the paramilitary movements to make a contribution in the defence.

jura wrote:
they should not confuse this with anarchist or any sort of progressive political activity, and they should not try to cover this up with defencist ideology.

Do you have any experience of living in a post-colonial country that suffers from imperialist military aggression?

jura wrote:
I think it's always better to opt for retreat, to try to preserve anarchist militants and their organization

You're right if you mean preserving people for partizan activity during the occupation. But you should have some experience, weapons, ammo and social ties for that. Joining the official army and paramilitary movements help to reach it.

jura wrote:
try to put forward the classical internationalist and defeatist positions

Classical internationalism means international friendship and cooperation. Can you imagine friendship and cooperation between imperialist and a colony? United Kingdom and Ireland in 20-30th? You can't make friends and cooperate with people that deny your identity, language and right for self-determination.

jura wrote:
avoid the draft and wait it out, or seek exile.

Avoiding draft means staying alive in the rear while somebody dies at the front.
Exile means to run away in different country and be a disenfranchised and homeless person that has no future. Imagine if FAI-CNT refused the participation in the war against Francists and ran away from Iberia.

Spikymike
Apr 20 2018 14:54

And see also my April 20th comment added to this library item here;
https://libcom.org/library/anti-imperialism-idiots-leila-al-shami
See also relevant critical discussion of the history of Irish Republicanism elsewhere on this site.

Uncreative's picture
Uncreative
Apr 20 2018 15:17
2C-B wrote:
Do you have any experience of living in a post-colonial country that suffers from imperialist military aggression?

I dont think Jura does, but you do have that experience, and yet you still manage to be wrong so I'm not sure what benefit that experience would give them?

2C-B wrote:
Classical internationalism means international friendship and cooperation. Can you imagine friendship and cooperation between imperialist and a colony? United Kingdom and Ireland in 20-30th? You can't make friends and cooperate with people that deny your identity, language and right for self-determination.

Actually lots of Irish people and British people were, are, and have been friendly with one another, because people who haven't 100% bought into nationalist politics are capable of recognising that the population of a country and the state that run it are two different things. Shocking, i know.

2C-B wrote:
Imagine if FAI-CNT refused the participation in the war against Francists and ran away from Iberia.

This is an absolutely absurd thing to compare the situation in Ukraine with. Surely you can see that?

jura's picture
jura
Apr 24 2018 07:08
2C-B wrote:
That's right, trans-people, children, persons with disabilities and old people have no ability to join the army. But there is always a possibility to join the paramilitary movements to make a contribution in the defence.

No, for some people there simply isn't.

2C-B wrote:

Why are you trying to make this about personal experience? Pretty much anything can be "justified" by pointing to incommensurable personal experiences.

Second, your simple logic that a post-colonial situation of imperial agression warrants anarchist support for "national defense" means that anarchists should have supported the Viet Cong or a number of other anti-working class movements, parties, and governments.

Third, I think that your analysis of Ukraine as a "post-colonial country" is just flawed. Ukraine wasn't a colony of Soviet Russia/the USSR.

2C-B wrote:
You're right if you mean preserving people for partizan activity during the occupation. But you should have some experience, weapons, ammo and social ties for that. Joining the official army and paramilitary movements help to reach it.

I meant more the preservation of an anarchist movement for when the situation normalizes – there will be no occupation of Ukraine by Russia and it seems pretty clear to me that this was never the intention. The intention was to create a zone of low-intensity conflict that currently seems to have been frozen.

But if the intention had been to occupy Ukraine, then yes, preparing for workers' self-defense during the occupation would make sense, and I guess joining the army would be a way of doing that. But as long as the idea is simply to gain experience and access to equipment, it would not involve lending official support (by an anarchist organization) to the army. It would probably also involve stealing from the army and doing other things the state wouldn't find commendable.

2C-B wrote:
Classical internationalism means international friendship and cooperation.

No, it means opposing your national as well as international bourgeoisie, sabotaging their ideological, economic, political, and military efforts and seeking comradely relations with the working class of the opposing state(s). "No war but the class war", as the slogan goes.

2C-B wrote:
Can you imagine friendship and cooperation between imperialist and a colony? United Kingdom and Ireland in 20-30th? You can't make friends and cooperate with people that deny your identity, language and right for self-determination.

Yes, there are plenty of examples (including the one you mention).

And again you seem to be saying something like "all Russians" deny Ukrainians their identity, langauge, and right for self-determination. It looks like you're a victim of your state's nationalist propaganda. Try looking at it from a class point of view for a change.

2C-B wrote:
Avoiding draft means staying alive in the rear while somebody dies at the front.

The goal would of course be to incite mass sabotage of the war effort, e.g., mass draft dodging, to prevent as many people as possible from going and dying.

A young American going to Canada instead of Vietnam also meant that someone else would have to go and perhaps die. I can't see how this justifies going.

2C-B wrote:
Exile means to run away in different country and be a disenfranchised and homeless person that has no future.

The Ukrainians I've met in person who are living, studying, and working in my country, were doing OK. There are many others working on construction sites here. Like for other migrant workers, their situation is not great, but it seems they prefer it to staying in Ukraine. I guess the anarchist calls for defending the motherland haven't reached them.

2C-B wrote:
Imagine if FAI-CNT refused the participation in the war against Francists and ran away from Iberia.

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot how great the war and cooperation with the Spanish state worked out for the CNT-FAI and world revolution. Also, where in Ukraine are the agricultural collectives, where is the CNT-FAI and POUM, where are the Mujeres Libres, where is anything that would be worth defending in a revolutionary war?