The student and education workers demo on the 24th Nov

115 posts / 0 new
Last post
Auto's picture
Auto
Nov 24 2010 18:41

Just got back from the Radcliffe Camera in Oxford. Big police presence outside, not letting anyone in. Apparently there are 20 occupiers left inside, vowing to stay the night. One big banner draped from the outside windows. It's something of a PR coup, being able to occupy such a big landmark.

The occupation was top story on BBC Oxford news. There were two Vox pop supporters of the occupation, a school kid and a masked up protester... but in a gift to the protestors, the 'against' vox pop was, to not put too fine a point on it, a real hooray-henry.

One or two people were outside tonight grumbling about not being able to get into the Library, but mostly the reaction seems to be one of curiosity, and it's definitely got people talking. There were some supporters as well. Including one well-heeled older Oxonian who described the action as 'splendid!'

One guy who was inside earlier said that all decisions inside were being taken by consensus and, he said, had actually worked pretty well.

I doubt the police will let anyone in for the free university... no one is going into the Camera.

Mike Harman
Nov 24 2010 18:44

Guardian article says a large number of people at Westminster under 16. Also in the comments they have someone 'looking into and hopefully reporting on tomorrow' whether the police van was left there deliberately as an easy target to justify kettling.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/nov/24/student-protests-childrens-crusade?CMP=twt_gu

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Nov 24 2010 18:48

Comrade heading down to the South Bank uni occupation! I'll try to post up a report-back.

Auto's picture
Auto
Nov 24 2010 19:01

I'm getting the feeling that the Guardian might go for a more critical line against the police response... They now seem to be prefixing 'kettled' to any account of protestor violence. e.g. 'Windows were smashed by kettled protestors'.

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Nov 24 2010 19:03

People have broken free of the kettle after police lost control and are smashing windows of taxis, buses and shops.

Auto's picture
Auto
Nov 24 2010 19:16

Interesting comment posted in the Graun by a journalist covering the London protest:

Quote:
There are no leaders here: the thousands of schoolchildren and young people who streamed into Whitehall three hours ago in protest at the government's attacks on further and higher education were working completely off script.

A wordless cry went up somewhere in the crowd and they were off, moving as one, with no instructions, towards parliament.

But just because there are no leaders here doesn't mean there is no purpose. These kids – and most of them are just kids, with no experience of direct action, who walked simultaneously out of lessons across the country just before morning break – want to be heard. "Our votes don't count," says one nice young man in a school tie.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Nov 24 2010 19:26

i posted my update in the news thread here:
http://libcom.org/news/thousands-students-take-action-against-cuts-fees-23112010

This thread was about the organising of the day, so any updates about the day itself are best posted on there please!

Ellar's picture
Ellar
Nov 24 2010 19:31

I just got back from the Royal Holloway occupation, students had a march around the campus and attempted to occupy the managment hall aswell as the corridor they have already occupied.

High point of the evening was my ex philosophy teacher giving a talk and Q&A session on Anarchism (focusing largely on Anarcho-communism) to the 30 or so students who were occupying.

thegonzokid's picture
thegonzokid
Nov 24 2010 23:36

Liverpool

Soz to those who've already read this on the Solfed internal list but can't be arsed writing another report...

Good turnout of about 3,500 in total on the march. Some funny placards such as 'my fire extinguisher was too heavy so I brought this sign instead'. Handed out loads of leaflets featuring the 'ignore sell-out student leaders' article off our local website. As the report on the national website says, a few sit-downs along the way, police attempts to kettle us. Some dweeb from the SWP kept mumbling into a megaphone which just made him a laughing stock. We got to the town hall to find some gobshite Labour councillor on the balcony delivering a speech 'endorsing' the protest over a PA system, quite a few cheers which was a bit depressing. Most of us had to leave shortly after for work etc, but one of our members who's at 6th form college took an active part in uni occupation, should be a report on that to follow soon.

klas batalo's picture
klas batalo
Nov 24 2010 23:38

keep on hearing about consensus being used, how did all these non-political students learn about that spontaneously???

maybe political groups and the student unions are not leading these, but definitely sounds like some activist types are???

which is fine, just interesting...also that it is working well! grin chuckle

Mike Harman
Nov 25 2010 05:40

@sabotage: I tried to answer this on a new thread here - http://libcom.org/forums/organise/uk-against-austerity-general-discussion-25112010#comment-405571

Battlescarred
Nov 25 2010 12:50

On June 14th 1997 I was on the anti-IMF demo in Amsterdam, ( numbering at least 50,000 with very large anarchist, anarcho-syndicalist and autonomist blocs) with several other AF comrades. In the path of the demo was an empty police van. Alongside the van was a large building with people waving red flags and blowing whistles from the open windows.. Something was not quite right about them, their look and their behaviour. As the large German autonomist bloc approached, the sight of the van was too much for them and they began trashing the van. Within 2 minutes a large contingent of riot cops arrived on the scene and began charging the whole demonstration with their long batons.
On the N30 demonstration outside Euston Station, on November 30th 1999 an empty police van was left close by. It too was trashed by demonstrators, with about 30 press photographers gathering around to take pictures and it was the leading image in the papers next day.
Yesterday the same thing happened. The Met appear to have learnt a lot about tactics from their Interpol associates. Once for the Met to leave an empty van ( which like yesterday's was an older model)might be construed as negligence, but for this to happen twice??

Auto's picture
Auto
Nov 25 2010 13:49
Xander wrote:
I'll put some pressure on to get some stories out on it, fwiw.

That'd be good. I've heard that the Guardian are investigating it themselves, though who knows if anything will come of it.

Mike Harman
Nov 25 2010 14:17

There's a blog post about the van here - http://www.sumpter.org.uk/?p=300 I linked to Battlescarred's post via the comments. Noithing very conclusive either way, the 'police aware' sticker is bizarre though.

Also http://twitter.com/#!/search/%23baitvan

And now I am doing journo work for free on the internets sad

edit: this is apparently the same van, from kingsnorth climate camp - http://imgur.com/7oQXm

klas batalo's picture
klas batalo
Nov 25 2010 15:45

@Mike, yeah I saw that last night, started spreading it here to comrades on facebook... grin

RedEd's picture
RedEd
Nov 27 2010 04:15

Students and sixth formers got knocked about a bit in Cambridge by the cops on Wednesday when a couple of hundred of us jumped a fence into the main uni admin compound and decided to go for the doors. We came back at 11 Friday morning and have occupied part of the main admin building. We're hoping to stay till at least Monday.

There's some videos of police violence and updates on the occupation here : http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/camdefendeducation

Wednesday's lesson was we need to print out shit loads of bust cards for sixth formers, and flyers telling them how to deal with cops. They're up for anything, but the cops know they can fuck around with them.

Ramona's picture
Ramona
Nov 27 2010 12:16

Nice one RedEd, good luck with the occupation!

Edinburgh Uni occupation still going strong, 35 of us stayed last night, but no one can join us now till Monday morning, and anyone who leaves can't come back in so we're expecting to be a fairly small group come Monday morning.

Please can people send us solidarity messages to edinburghanticuts@gmail.com to help boost morale, also if you tell us where you're emailing from, we'll add you to our "solidarity map", currently on a blackboard, soon to be on a googlemap on our blog!

http://edinunianticuts.wordpress.com/

Love and unity x