DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Web design help - ask here!

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Apr 17 2006 16:21
Web design help - ask here!

Was talking to knightrose earlier and he asked about a website help section on libcom or forum or something like that. It was an original idea of ours when starting libcom/enrager to do this, templates, tutorials, etc.

We started out thinking that too many UK left websites duplicated the same information, when infact it would be better to have one central hub.

Anyway im losing the point, so heres a thread to see if any people need help doing stuff, and others can chip in and give them pointers smile

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Apr 17 2006 16:23

do you know anything about ftp errors ... particularly 'host not found' or 'maximum number of clients are connected to the host'? Having fun ftp-ing atm. cheers wink

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Apr 17 2006 16:24

Well... for the first one - is the host there? Are you connecting to an IP or to domain?

What are u trying to do?

max number of clients connected to host could mean just that if u are setup right.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Apr 17 2006 16:29

i'm just trying to ftp up html files i've edited locally to a server. Its been working fine for 6 months or so and then it just started giving those errors. I've tried with dreamweaver and filezilla and get the same error with both.

An upload gets to 100% then times out, throws up the error and just creates a 0kb .htm file with the correct name on the remote site. confused

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Apr 17 2006 16:38

Check whether you are in passive or active mode.

I was told by everyone tuse Pasv recently when having problems, then i found out active works way better for me.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Apr 17 2006 16:40

i tried to try both, can't remember if i managed too but will try that again now.

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Apr 17 2006 16:48

Yeah i use smartftp, its best.

Jospeh - i was having that near exact same problem and thats what fied ti for me.

Otherwise check firewall settings on your computer and router. Check you are connecting to the right ports at your host.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Apr 17 2006 16:52

well its just fixed itself roll eyes bloody typical but never mind - filezilla in passive mode did the trick (i didn't have to change anything). Cheers for the help guys, i'll check out SmartFTP anyway tongue

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 17 2006 16:53

Yeah rkn mine stopped working and I changed to passive it went fine, then the other day it stopped working only and when i went back to active it started again!

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Apr 17 2006 16:55

you know what John.? I blame the system tongue

thanks all, i'll give way to the flood of techie queries this thread might have unleashed wink

happychaos's picture
happychaos
Apr 18 2006 01:34

ive had a similar idea many times. so many organisations use commercial companies here in nz. free software and information on how to use it is very important.

(hosting it on our own non-profit servers is also important. like you guys, i run my own free hosting service for radical groups, but on a commercial server outside of my own country. www.enzyme.org.nz)

i use drupal for a lot of stuff. its got more support than the indymedia type software. however, geeks dont tend to put more stuff in that is needed and aren't very good on the old userfriendly and appearance.

having a central respository, perhaps a wiki, with information people can update and use to do their own stuff (not just web stuff) etc would be a REALLY good idea. im really into this. but only if it was practical. i mean all those manuals and stuff for activism.. .sheesh...! (-:

not sure if this is what this thread was about. lol.

simono

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Apr 18 2006 17:31

Css question:

Does anyone know if its best practice to use HTML for the odd word in bold or best to instigate a seperate style for it?