Who are the Deterritorial Support Group?

65 posts / 0 new
Last post
Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 7 2011 13:10
Who are the Deterritorial Support Group?

Anyone know more about these guys?
http://deterritorialsupportgroup.wordpress.com/

it seems like they either post on here or read here (they talk about "FULL COMMUNISM", for example), so I guess we probably know some of them, but don't know that we know them.

They did a great interview with dazed & confused the other day as well
http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandculture/article/10260/1/deterritorial-support-group

if people want to remain anonymous maybe you could send me a private message with more information. Cheers!

Harrison
May 7 2011 14:38

afaik they are friends with thereallyfreeschool people. but thats all i know about them. their art on A to B marches is hilarious (YOU --> BENN , GO!)

Caiman del Barrio
May 7 2011 14:44

One of them posts on here. Don't think you know them, they're buddies of SLSF's. Fucking useless cunts though, NEVER ask them for any sort of design work lol... wink

DSG's picture
DSG
May 7 2011 15:37

black bloc

Refused's picture
Refused
May 7 2011 15:59
DSG wrote:
black bloc

groucho

Sir Arthur Stre...
May 7 2011 18:53

bunch of art hipster fags

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 7 2011 19:07
Sir Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:
bunch of art hipster fags

you say that like it's a bad thing

Yorkie Bar
May 7 2011 19:15

If you don't hate art hipster fags you're not a proper art hipster fag.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
May 7 2011 19:59

To think , they're stealing memes that started with Deezer's gym gear...

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 7 2011 20:31
Yorkie Bar wrote:
If you don't hate art hipster fags you're not a proper art hipster fag.

that's only true in the US

Caiman del Barrio
May 8 2011 15:30

LOL @ how Steven 'discovered' them following their Dazed and Confused interview.

Harrison
May 8 2011 20:58
Caiman del Barrio wrote:
LOL @ how Steven 'discovered' them following their Dazed and Confused interview.

maybe libcom will sign them, and a seminal album will ensue

posi
May 9 2011 09:50

I have already suggested t-shirts. A club night is basically inevitable.

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
May 17 2011 11:29

Top job DSG.

I dont really know much about whats happening on the left atm but the DSG seems like the most fun / interesting from what i've seen

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jun 20 2011 21:50

Their spoof event about Zizek and Lady Gaga turning up to support a strike has now been reported as real by the New York Post, which is pretty amazing:
http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/marxist_muse_befriends_gaga_v3XXqED29kGoAf5bvJKPuM

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Jun 20 2011 23:21

trolling as revolutionary praxis

petey
Jun 21 2011 03:43
Steven. wrote:
Their spoof event about Zizek and Lady Gaga turning up to support a strike has now been reported as real by the New York Post

HHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jun 21 2011 07:10

They also just pwned Johann Hari:
https://deterritorialsupportgroup.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/hari-karihackery/
http://deterritorialsupportgroup.wordpress.com/2011/06/20/hari-kari-ii-a-multitude-of-sins/

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Jun 21 2011 13:29

Those Hari pieces are amazing!

Rum Lad
Jun 21 2011 17:32
Steven. wrote:
Their spoof event about Zizek and Lady Gaga turning up to support a strike has now been reported as real by the New York Post, which is pretty amazing:
http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/marxist_muse_befriends_gaga_v3XXqED29kGoAf5bvJKPuM

Just to be clear, so as Libcom doesn't help in the rewriting of history. I think that the rumour did not originate from DSG but they, like a few other parties/groups/individuals at the time, helped to spread the rumour around the London student activist mileau back in March. Although I'm willing to be corrected.

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
Jun 23 2011 02:56

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/06/lady-gaga-and-slavoj-zizek-have-an-intellectualdance-thing-going-on.html

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2011/06/no-gaga-no-zizek-no-fun-.html

http://www.salon.com/entertainment/tv/feature/2011/06/22/lady_gaga_slavoj_zizek_new_york_post_hoax

http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandculture/article/10260/1/deterritorial-support-group

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jun 23 2011 08:27

Brilliant

Angelus Novus
Jun 23 2011 18:32

à propos, didn't somebody here, and by somebody I mean Joseph Kay, post a video of a bunch of black-hoody clad Autonomen dancing to "Poker Face" and saying it was a Capital reading group?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jun 23 2011 22:48

That was me, the photo was of a friend's capital reading group in New York. I could try to dig it up again if you wanted

Ramona's picture
Ramona
Jun 26 2011 20:50

I think we all want that

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Jun 26 2011 22:14
Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Jun 26 2011 23:13

Wish my Capital reading group had been that pumpin'....

Anatta's picture
Anatta
Jun 28 2011 09:40

From Johann Hari's blog today.

Quote:
I’ve recently been asked to clarify something about a few of the interviews I’ve done in the past. When I’ve interviewed a writer, it’s quite common that they will express an idea or sentiment to me that they have expressed before in their writing – and, almost always, they’ve said it more clearly in writing than in speech. (I know I write much more clearly than I speak – whenever I read a transcript of what I’ve said, or it always seems less clear and more clotted. I think we’ve all had that sensation in one form or another).
So occasionally, at the point in the interview where the subject has expressed an idea, I’ve quoted the idea as they expressed it in writing, rather than how they expressed it in speech. It’s a way of making sure the reader understands the point that (say) Gideon Levy wants to make as clearly as possible, while retaining the directness of the interview. Since my interviews are intellectual portraits that I hope explain how a person thinks, it seemed the most thorough way of doing it.
So if somebody interviewed me and asked my views of Martin Amis, instead of quoting me as saying “Um, I think, you know, he got the figures for, uh, how many Muslims there are in Europe upside down”, they could quote instead what I’d written more cogently about him a month before, as a more accurate representation of my thoughts. I stress: I have only ever done this where the interviewee was making the same or very similar point to me in the interview that they had already made more clearly in print.
This is one reason why, after doing what must be over fifty interviews, none of my interviewees have ever said they had been misquoted, even when they feel I’ve been very harsh on them in other ways. So for example, Larry Flynt wrote a furious letter the other week calling me “a creepy little slimeball” and raving for three pages that he’s not a child molester – but he never once said I’d quoted him incorrectly. As anyone can confirm by emailing him, Gideon Levy said, after my interview with him was published, that it was “the most accurate take on me anyone has written” and “profoundly moved him” – which hardly fits with the idea it was an inaccurate or misleading picture.
I’m a bit bemused to find one blogger considers this “plagiarism”. Who’s being plagiarized? Plagiarism is passing off somebody else’s intellectual work as your own – whereas I’m always making it clear that (say) Gideon Levy’s thought is Gideon Levy’s thought. I’m also a bit bemused to find that some people consider this “churnalism”. Churnalism is a journalist taking a press release and mindlessly recycling it – not a journalist carefully reading over all a writer’s books and selecting parts of it to accurately quote at certain key moments to best reflect how they think.
I called round a few other interviewers for British newspapers and they said what I did was normal practice and they had done it themselves from time to time. My test for journalism is always – would the readers mind you did this, or prefer it? Would they rather I quoted an unclear sentence expressing a thought, or a clear sentence expressing the same thought by the same person very recently? Both give an accurate sense of what a person is like, but one makes their ideas as accessible as possible for the reader while also being an accurate portrait of the person.
I’m open to suggestions from anyone who thinks there’s a better way of doing this – I interviewed an incredible woman today which I’m writing up for Friday’s Indie and I’m always keen to make sure my journalism gives the clearest and most accurate portrait of a person or issue I’m writing about. Drop me a line and let me know what you think
mons
Jun 28 2011 12:38

Hari's response doesn't work. He used Negri's past words in answer to different questions than the ones they were originally used for, distorting their meaning, and he doesn't address that.

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Jun 28 2011 12:46

There is also no mention of the actual piece of writing concerned. Antonio Negri. If he is the shining star of British journalism then we are really in trouble

Ed's picture
Ed
Jun 28 2011 15:29

I have to admit that I've gotten a bit obsessed with this Johann Hari stuff.. has anyone else read the #interviewsbyhari thing on twitter? Some examples:

Quote:
@Simon_Pegg: I questioned his commitment in providing honest answers... "I am serious" he replied to me... "And don't call me Shirley"
@mattwithers
Matt Withers
Barnes articulated his footballing philosophy. "You've got to hold and give," he said, "but do it at the right time". #interviewsbyhari
@brapbrapkyle
Kyle
His face sunk, "I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour", he paused. "But heaven knows I'm miserable now".

To be honest, there are so many I can't even really post my favourites!

Last thing, if Hari loses his job, will DSG make a fallen Hari statue like the Saddam/Stalin ones?