Wobblies for a Revolutionary Union Movement

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
EdmontonWobbly's picture
EdmontonWobbly
Dec 13 2017 17:59

"We decided to try and recruit every person who was mad about Trump and just open the flood gates. Now all of the problems of the activist scene are the problems of the iww. Where we were once an island of a bit of sanity we have now been overrun with people, lots of whom are actually opposed to workplace organising."

For the record I said this and stand by it. Kind of hilarious to find out about this post months later.

Jay_S
Jan 21 2018 21:22

Are these caucuses still active? How many caucuses exist in the IWW and what is there role? Is WRU a front group for 1st of May Anarchist Alliance? Is the Industrial Unionists a front group for the Community League of Tampa Bay? From the outside, they look like competing factions, with one promoting an antifascist protest activism model and the other a staff-driven trade unionism model. Are those really the dominant currents in the IWW today?

EdmontonWobbly's picture
EdmontonWobbly
Jan 26 2018 18:11

They're both minority groups and while they take up a lot of bandwidth almost all the members fall somewhere outside both groups programs.

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Feb 14 2018 11:12

I've only encountered both groups on this forum, none of the American Wobbly's I speak to are in either, I'm honestly not sure if they're aware of them, they certainly haven't mentioned them to me. I also don't believe either of them have even an online presence outside the US.

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
Mar 4 2018 22:59

It doesn't really matter if they composed a minority of membership. The leadership in the IWW is almost entirely informal. That is, the actual positions of responsibility that are based on elections and/or appointments don't really reflect the actual leadership of the IWW. The actual leadership is composed of those who express their ideas or who have credibility for being known as someone who "does things" or can express their ideas in decent writing. Because leadership doesn't really correspond to elected positions, elections aren't really the sole or even the most important terrain where it is determined who is leadership and who's ideas carry the day. The establishment of leadership is more about creating an organizational-wide crisis or dispute that forces who were the previous leaders out (by expulsion if necessary) and the new leadership in as the ones who forced them out. I haven't done a close study, but this seems to happen every 10-15 years. It's basically a pretty destructive cycle that I would assume is pretty similar in many far left organizations and sects. This most recent dispute that manifested itself publicly with these two different formal factions...a large part of it is the old leadership that was established post-Bekken crew expulsions VS this new crew that wants to establish themselves and their ideas as the dominant ones.

For clarification, this is primarily in the US, and to a lesser extent, Canada. The UK, Germany and Australia are part of a separate Regional Administration that isn't as closely intertwined to the activity, debates, etc of the North American IWW.