Coopertive sector

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
sam sanchez's picture
sam sanchez
Apr 22 2006 13:36
Coopertive sector

Do we have any particular policy towards workers in workers cooperatives? can they join solfed?

Steve
Apr 22 2006 14:13

I think we already have a couple of members who work in cooperatives.

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 22 2006 20:12
sam_frances wrote:
Do we have any particular policy towards workers in workers cooperatives? can they join solfed?

what do you think could be an issue preventing them from joining? Sure, it is akind of self managed exploitation under capitalism, but we are still talking of working class wage slaves here IMO.

I dont see any problems with that especially because SolFed is not only economic organisation, but a political one as well.

sam sanchez's picture
sam sanchez
Apr 22 2006 21:10

I was just asking out of curiosity. I see no problem at all. I think it should be promoted as an embryo of workers self managment. that's why i was asking.

brno
Apr 25 2006 08:31

I agree that co-operatives, as embryos of workers self management, should be welcomed in the SF.

The only practical issue I see is whether any co-operative member has the ability to hire and fire another member.

For a fully mutual workers co-operative, this could cause some issues as each member would have an equal vote in accepting new members (hiring workers), and also in removing members (firing workers).

madashell's picture
madashell
Apr 25 2006 10:24
brno wrote:
I agree that co-operatives, as embryos of workers self management, should be welcomed in the SF.

The only practical issue I see is whether any co-operative member has the ability to hire and fire another member.

For a fully mutual workers co-operative, this could cause some issues as each member would have an equal vote in accepting new members (hiring workers), and also in removing members (firing workers).

That's hardly the same thing though, is it?

A worker in a fully mutual co-op doesn't have any more power than any other member.

keely
Apr 25 2006 22:44

I know housing coops and workers coops are different, but I know of housing coops at least where there is a distinction between members and paid workers.

More to point though is:

Quote:
I think it should be promoted as an embryo of workers self managment.

Yes, there is workers self management. However, I don't see promotion of coops as a viable anarchosyndicalist strategy. We see class struggle, as manifested in workplaces, as being about workers challenging management's 'right' to manage, and we see workers self management coming about by winning the class struggle. To my mind, in workers coops, the members are both workers and managers. Or put it another way, class struggle doesn't exist in workers coops. So, aren't the promotion of class struggle and the promotion of workers coops mutually exclusive?

I'm not saying though that members of workers coops can't be members of anarchosyndicalist organisations. After all our activities and the class struggle overall aren't confined just to the workplace. But I think we would be barking up the wrong tree to actually encourage people to abandon the 'traditional' workplace set up for coops.