EWN job branches

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 26 2006 13:54
EWN job branches

If I am not mistaken there are no policies or agreements on what consists a job branch or shop (dont even know what they are "officially" called).

In the absence of agreed principles, i presume comrades can just set up job shops at their local workplace if there are few EWN members present?

University of Manchester with 5 EWN members is an obvious candidate for a job branch.

University of Leeds with couple members as well, maybe even University of Bolton.

Any other potential ones out there? Could also be student groups of course, or mixed workers/student groups as well.

the button's picture
the button
Apr 26 2006 13:56

Just a general observation about "job branches" -- isn't there a risk of making the EWN look like an "alternative union"?

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 26 2006 13:57
the button wrote:
Just a general observation about "job branches" -- isn't there a risk of making the EWN look like an "alternative union"?

any alternative name suggestions for EWN local groups at one given workplace?

Job crew? workplace posse? grin

ftony
Apr 26 2006 14:08

chain gang circle A

the button's picture
the button
Apr 26 2006 14:18
JDMF wrote:
the button wrote:

any alternative name suggestions for EWN local groups at one given workplace?

Job crew? workplace posse? grin

In the short-term, I'd settle for anarcho-homies. wink

But there is a clear risk here of an anarcho-syndicalist grouping in a particular workplace becoming a "rank & file" group. Not that there's anything wrong with R&F groups (well, there is, but that's not for this thread), it's just, that's not what a SolFed network is. Or perhaps it is. confused

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 26 2006 14:34

hey we cross that bridge when we come to it and have loads of discussions on the way there.

I would love to face the dilemma of having couple hundred members at my workplace grin

But as it stands we are little more than a propaganda and solidarity group - you have to start somewhere.

-> thats the end of my EWN sales pitch, so join up comrades red n black star

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Apr 26 2006 16:55

A job branch? Does somebody want to explain what this is?

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Apr 26 2006 18:19

I wish I worked in education cry

Steve
Apr 26 2006 19:35

I think this is jumping the gun, running before walking, counting chickens etc.

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 26 2006 21:17
Steve wrote:

care to explain how many members should we have in our workplace before it would not be jumping the gun mate wink

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 26 2006 21:18
october_lost wrote:

well, thats just it, we dont know wink

Nah, simple really: EWN people in same universities come together and get some stuff done. Up to the members in question to determine what, if anything, they want to do IMO.

martinh
Apr 27 2006 08:43
JDMF wrote:
october_lost wrote:

well, thats just it, we dont know wink

Nah, simple really: EWN people in same universities come together and get some stuff done. Up to the members in question to determine what, if anything, they want to do IMO.

Logically it should be 3, as that's the minimum number for a local.

Forward to the Manchester Federation?

Regards,

martin

Steve
Apr 27 2006 09:00
JDMF wrote:
Steve wrote:

care to explain how many members should we have in our workplace before it would not be jumping the gun mate ;)

Well the first question is have you actaully discussed this with the other members involved to see what they think?

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Apr 27 2006 09:16

He was asking a question Steve not going off on his tod, cut him some slack.

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 27 2006 10:34
Steve wrote:
Well the first question is have you actaully discussed this with the other members involved to see what they think?

yes:

1. posted it on EWN email list

2. posted it here, the EWN forum

3. discussed it at Manchester SF meeting in the agenda item "EWN"

or should i first draw a motion about discussing this issue, pass it in the local with a majority vote, after which it would be escalated to the internal bulleting, voted on in other locals after which a motion would be raised to the 2007 conference? After that we would be mandated to talk about this issue, and raise suggestions for the 2008 conference tongue

the button's picture
the button
Apr 27 2006 10:38
JDMF wrote:
should i first draw a motion about discussing this issue, pass it in the local with a majority vote, after which it would be escalated to the internal bulleting, voted on in other locals after which a motion would be raised to the 2007 conference? After that we would be mandated to talk about this issue, and raise suggestions for the 2008 conference.

He's learning. tongue wink

Steve
Apr 27 2006 11:19
JDMF wrote:
Steve wrote:

yes:

1. posted it on EWN email list

2. posted it here, the EWN forum

3. discussed it at Manchester SF meeting in the agenda item "EWN"

And what was the response?

As you know I have reservations about these forums to begin with. As far as I know you are the only member of Manchester who posts on here regulary so maybe you should have indicated that you have already raised the issue elsewhere.

Steve
Apr 27 2006 11:21
the button wrote:
JDMF wrote:
should i first draw a motion about discussing this issue, pass it in the local with a majority vote, after which it would be escalated to the internal bulleting, voted on in other locals after which a motion would be raised to the 2007 conference? After that we would be mandated to talk about this issue, and raise suggestions for the 2008 conference.

He's learning. tongue :wink:

Naw it could have been sorted by the 2007 conference. smile

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 27 2006 11:24
Steve wrote:

And what was the response?

you are reading it here wink

and aren;t you on the EWN email list? There was only one response there so far.

Quote:

As you know I have reservations about these forums to begin with. As far as I know you are the only member of Manchester who posts on here regulary so maybe you should have indicated that you have already raised the issue elsewhere.

forums and email lists are fantastic because you can communicate with comrades outside of your local - creates new layers of communication without replacing the existing ones.

We discussed it briefly in the Manc SF meeting and just went through some thoughts, basically we have already started to meet as "job branch" (though we did not call it that), but this issue needs to be discussed further.

Leeds seem to be interested in setting one up as well.

Steve
Apr 27 2006 11:45
JDMF wrote:

and aren;t you on the EWN email list? There was only one response there so far.

No I'm not in education.

OK fair enough. Just seems that you'll have Manchester Local meetings, EWN meetings and Manchester Uni meetings as well all with the same people - almost. wink

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 27 2006 11:51

aye, that is a problem. And couple that with national Solfed stuff like Nat Sec and DA and you have a right mess tongue

Which is why we are planning to organise a Manc SolFed "AGM" to organise things a bit better since we have as many members as a small national anarchist group almost wink