Last post
JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 24 2006 13:50
EWN new website launched

alright comrades,

new EWN web site is getting ready, you can have a preview at:

http://ewn.rbgi.net/

the www.ewn.org.uk url will be forwarded to that soon.

Any suggestions, comments and especially material you might have, please let us know.

Upwards and onwards!

red n black star

ftony
Apr 24 2006 14:00

nice site, but why is the content copyrighted?

the button's picture
the button
Apr 24 2006 14:02
ftony wrote:

It's the KSL all over again! neutral

ftony
Apr 24 2006 14:05

confused

no it's not.

i'm just surprised that it's not at least on creative commons instead that's all

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 24 2006 14:24
ftony wrote:

ah, yes, well spotted! That comes from the CMS (joomla) templates. We can fix that.

Any suggestions for a wording?

Creative commons Copyleft? tongue

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 24 2006 16:40

You've nicked our star, haven't you!

Well at least you had the decency to flip it, not just copy it outright like bloody anarkismo, ha ha

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 24 2006 18:23

John. i hate to break this to you but the red and black star is an internationally known symbol of anarcho syndicalism which goes back decades before libcom admins were even concieved wink

Seriously though: take a closer look, you see that there is no black outline around the red part, so it can't be the same star. Details, details... tongue

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 24 2006 18:36
JDMF wrote:
John. i hate to break this to you but the red and black star is an internationally known symbol of anarcho syndicalism which goes back decades before libcom admins were even concieved wink

Seriously though: take a closer look, you see that there is no black outline around the red part, so it can't be the same star. Details, details... tongue

Oh yeah, whoops. Anarkismo did nick our exact one tho wink

Mike Harman
Apr 24 2006 19:40

couple of things:

the demo picture up top looks really unclear - why not crop a detail of it instead of making the whole thing tiny?

Also developments is spelt developements in the left column.

Otherwise it looks good to me!

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 26 2006 08:22
Catch wrote:
couple of things:

the demo picture up top looks really unclear - why not crop a detail of it instead of making the whole thing tiny?

yeah, i already got shit from .flux for messing that one up smile Will do that in next couple of weeks, not in a hurry. IMO, the banner looks already better than 99% of the anarchist/leftist sites out there (though perhaps that is not hard, lol!)

Quote:

Also developments is spelt developements in the left column.

hey man, thats from libcom grin its an RSS feed from your news feeds, so please correct that spelling on source - we just pull it in wink

thanks for the feedback red n black star

ftony
May 12 2006 11:23

hi folks, sorry to derail your thread but posting something about the IWW on a solfed board is a bit rude

anyway, check out the beginnings of an IWW IU 620 (ed. workers) website i'm working on and let me know what you think so far:

geocities.com/iwweducation

red n black star

Mike Harman
May 12 2006 11:45

I think you should use any webhosting possible other than geocities wink

JDMF's picture
JDMF
May 12 2006 11:46

yeah, apart from that URL thing, great stuff!

Let us know when you have the final site ready and we can add the link to the EWN site.

red n black star indeed wink

ftony
May 12 2006 11:59

yeah, i know about the whole geocities thing, but it's hard when you have virtually no knowledge of HTML, no website-building software and you're the only person who's particularly interested in setting up a website

for the moment, it will do, i think. 8)

glad to hear there aren't any enormous criticisms to deal with smile

Mike Harman
May 12 2006 12:02

no, it won't.

At least look here:

http://wordpress.org/

ftony
May 12 2006 12:41
Quote:
no, it won't.

meow

Mike Harman
May 12 2006 12:42

you'll thank me in the long run tongue

ftony
May 12 2006 12:44

i'm sure i will, but only in the long run tongue

right now i've just spent hours setting up that site and i can't be arsed to make a new one right away

JDMF's picture
JDMF
May 12 2006 12:46

This is the content management system we used for the ewn site:

http://www.joomla.org/

Its pretty easy for non technical people to use, but not very easy to set up.

Are there any higher education members in IWW edu workers thingimabob?

So far pretty much all EWN members are in HE sector for some reason...

ftony
May 12 2006 12:49

well i'm not sure cos i haven't been around for long, but i gather there are some school teachers and some students. i haven't met any FE/HE lecturers yet, but i'm sure there are a few lurking in the woodwork.

knightrose
May 12 2006 14:45

One idea we talked about at the last AF Conference was trying to organise a conference about Education in the not too distant future. The idea would be to involve AFers, Solfeders and Wobs. To discuss areas of common struggle, collective action and some time also on the ideology of education.

As I proposed it, the obvious venue suggested was Manchester.

ftony
May 12 2006 14:58

yes that would be a really good idea. i'm sure there would be enough people interested in it to make it worthwhile. in fact there's a radical academics mini-conference at the Square in london, so hopefully that idea can be brought up then. i'll bring it up with people there.

the problem, though, is the fact that if it is co-ordinated between three networks, it would be hellish to organise between us...

hmm.... perhaps this subject needs its own thread.