Logo

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Mar 31 2006 18:52
Logo

Tell me if this is an unwelcome intrusion, but i think the SF really needs a new logo... That SF in white on red n black looks really dated.

Maybe you could suggest that people have a go at designing a new one?

Here's a suggestion to get you started:

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 1 2006 10:37

you mean this logo is outdated:

Is that somekind of "official" logo anyway?

PaulMarsh's picture
PaulMarsh
Apr 1 2006 10:41
rkn wrote:
Tell me if this is an unwelcome intrusion, but i think the SF really needs a new logo... That SF in white on red n black looks really dated.

Maybe you could suggest that people have a go at designing a new one?

Sinn Fein go syndicalist!

brno
Apr 1 2006 11:31

perhaps we should use the word Solfed in the logo rather than SF. I think the term Solfed is used quite widely to refer to our organisation and more people would understand what organisation the logo refers to if we use solfed rather than sf (not to be confused with Sinn Fein... smile )

as for design, perhaps something similar to the banner that comes up when you go to our website.. white lettering on the red and black flag.

bren

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Apr 1 2006 11:38

JDMF - yeah that logo, the text looks awful! Dont know if it is official, but its used quite a lot...

brno - yeah would be good to get away from Sinn Fein likeness...

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 1 2006 12:00
brno wrote:
perhaps we should use the word Solfed in the logo rather than SF. I think the term Solfed is used quite widely to refer to our organisation and more people would understand what organisation the logo refers to if we use solfed rather than sf (not to be confused with Sinn Fein... smile )

Good idea. In our libcom.org style guide we refer to SF as "SolFed", same as Freedom's (FYI).

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Apr 1 2006 12:07

Solfed is certainly more memorable and cosier (cosy seems to be surprisingly important, I have no doubt 'wobblie' is a very useful way of building a soft spot for the brand within and outside the IWW membership for example). Also, getting away from capped up acronyms is generally a good idea.

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 1 2006 12:21
rkn wrote:
JDMF - yeah that logo, the text looks awful! Dont know if it is official, but its used quite a lot...

brno - yeah would be good to get away from Sinn Fein likeness...

well, we are currently working on Manchester SolFed intro leaflet, and if i and .flux are doing the layout then that wont be the logo wink But lets see how that goes down in our local. We may need to make few variations.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 1 2006 12:35
JDMF wrote:
well, we are currently working on Manchester SolFed intro leaflet, and if i and .flux are doing the layout then that wont be the logo wink But lets see how that goes down in our local. We may need to make few variations.

?

grin

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 1 2006 12:42

beautiful, but not apt wink

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 1 2006 12:43
JDMF wrote:
beautiful, but not apt ;)

You haven't got a non-human animal workers' syndicate? eek

martinh
Apr 1 2006 12:53
John. wrote:
JDMF wrote:
beautiful, but not apt ;)

You haven't got a non-human animal workers' syndicate? eek

Naah, they couldn't afford the subs and took the ICC's view on unions wink

Except for the police dog, who's banned under our rules. grin

Steve
Apr 1 2006 15:49

I did this a while back based on an old Anarchist Bookfair flyer, too complicated for a logo but might come in useful?

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Apr 1 2006 16:17
JDMF wrote:
you mean this logo is outdated:

Is that somekind of "official" logo anyway?

Sorry I like this one simply because firstly it looks like a smile smile , and secondly its almost an encouragement for grafitting something....

WeTheYouth
Apr 5 2006 12:05
rkn wrote:

Was that done on paint???

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Apr 5 2006 13:10

No. you cant get such smooth line son paint wink

Quote:
Solfed is certainly more memorable and cosier (cosy seems to be surprisingly important, I have no doubt 'wobblie' is a very useful way of building a soft spot for the brand within and outside the IWW membership for example).

Marketing speak!!! angry

OliverTwister's picture
OliverTwister
Apr 5 2006 14:09

Shh! Leftists call it detournement.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Apr 8 2006 08:26
Quote:
Marketing speak!!! :Mad:

Too right. I'd love a couple of trained marketing types to hang around these boards for the purposes of helping our promotional efforts.

Deezer
Apr 8 2006 11:51
Steve wrote:
I did this a while back based on an old Anarchist Bookfair flyer, too complicated for a logo but might come in useful?

That'd make a nice sticker steve.

circle A red n black star

sam sanchez's picture
sam sanchez
Apr 22 2006 12:54

That just highlights the fact that solfed sounds a bit like a brand of painkillers!