New Union

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
WeTheYouth
Mar 30 2006 14:38
New Union

Some of you will have saw in the IB and heard at conference that with my friends at work i have been attempting to initiate an anarcho syndicalist union for argos workers. The initial idea for the union was from a co-worker a while ago, it looks like this saturday will be the day when we begin building the union, i dont know how it will go, but i have a list of interested people i now need to convert that into a free membership. Advice would be must appreciated as this will be a first for me and comrades in brum.

If it goes well over the next couple of weeks, would comrades be able to distribute membership forms and leaflets to argos workers in there locality??

martinh
Mar 30 2006 15:17

Sure can, WTY. Good luck!

Argos has branches everywhere so there's plenty of opportunity to get them out.

Regards,

martin

Steve
Mar 30 2006 15:22

If you can produce a pdf of the leaflet etc. I'm sure it can be reproduced and distributed by SF Locals. What advice are you after exactly?

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Mar 30 2006 15:24

WeTheYouth, have you read couriers are revolting? Good tips and ideas there as well among the sexy stories of conflict and mischief smile

What is your plan? What are you aiming to achieve in the first instance? Also, remember you wont have any legal protection for being an "unofficial union" so your organisation has to be solid, otherwise you risk losing it all without any trouble from the management.

magnifico
Mar 30 2006 15:32

Sounds great, we can certainly do it 8)

WeTheYouth
Mar 30 2006 15:36

Thanks, i will convert the leaflet to a pdf and put it up on here.

Quote:
What advice are you after exactly?

I really need some advice on handling any pressure from management when they call us in for a chat like they did when we organised a petition for heaters.

Quote:
WeTheYouth, have you read couriers are revolting? Good tips and ideas there as well among the sexy stories of conflict and mischief

No i never heard about it, is it on libcom??

Quote:
What is your plan? What are you aiming to achieve in the first instance? Also, remember you wont have any legal protection for being an "unofficial union" so your organisation has to be solid, otherwise you risk losing it all without any trouble from the management.

My only plan at the moment is to get as many people as possible to join then hold a meeting so we can establish what grievances people have, how people want to challenge the management on these issues, also to get as many contacts as i can in other argos shops in brum and nationally if it goes well.

Atm i have got a provisional date for our first meeting as the 14th April, we just need to see how it goes this coming weekend.

I dont know how people will respond with legal challenges to the union, how would you suggest making it solid?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 30 2006 15:42
WeTheYouth wrote:

We've OCRed it and want to put it online, as does the author but the KSL have told us not to.

Steve
Mar 30 2006 15:44

There are people in SF with lots of experience in handling pressure from the management I think putting something on the internal list or the IB would get a response. There is also the example of 'Workmates' on the tube. Maybe contacting some SF members direct who have the experience may be better.

WeTheYouth
Mar 30 2006 15:45

Yeah i will put it up on the internal.

martinh
Mar 30 2006 15:52
John. wrote:
WeTheYouth wrote:

We've OCRed it and want to put it online, as does the author but the KSL have told us not to.

There wouldn't be a problem with sending it to WTY. At present it funds the KSL's other pamphlets along with the antifash one which is why they are reluctant to have it online.

Regards,

Martin

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 30 2006 16:23
martinh wrote:
John. wrote:
WeTheYouth wrote:

There wouldn't be a problem with sending it to WTY. At present it funds the KSL's other pamphlets along with the antifash one which is why they are reluctant to have it online.

It's already online elsewhere at www.zinelibrary.net, with no credit, we said we'd put it up with a credit, since anyone who wants it already can get it for free, but hey.

WeTheYouth
Apr 4 2006 14:17

It went okay, and there is 10 of us so far, still havent got a definite date for our first meeting, but im hoping to spend some time this week going to other argos stores in brum and leafletting workers there.

Still gotta put the leaflet online, but ill get round to doing that soon.

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 4 2006 15:08
WeTheYouth wrote:
Quote:

I dont know how people will respond with legal challenges to the union, how would you suggest making it solid?

basically in this country if it is not registered, then it is not a union. So unlike in many other countries, you wont be protected (as far as the current legistlation protects you for union organising) if you are not part of a registered union. If you are going for a workers council type of set up, then you have to remember that you wont have those legal rights.

Hope someone else is more clued up about this and can provide more info...

But 10 is a great turnout mate if you get them to come!

A website would go a long way with your target audience...

WeTheYouth
Apr 5 2006 12:07
JDMF wrote:
WeTheYouth wrote:
Quote:

basically in this country if it is not registered, then it is not a union. So unlike in many other countries, you wont be protected (as far as the current legistlation protects you for union organising) if you are not part of a registered union. If you are going for a workers council type of set up, then you have to remember that you wont have those legal rights.

Hope someone else is more clued up about this and can provide more info...

But 10 is a great turnout mate if you get them to come!

A website would go a long way with your target audience...

I hope they come, i would like to get a site done but i got alot of stuff already to be doing so might be a while before i get round to doing it.

Wayne
Apr 5 2006 14:16

Well done. Hope it goes well.

Some information that might be relevant at:

http://www.mwr.org.uk/shopfight.htm

http://www.mwr.org.uk/face.htm

http://www.mwr.org.uk/about.htm

Good luck.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Apr 5 2006 14:25

i used to be a temp at Argos - I still know a couple of people who work there, one's a lefty and the other had a recent injury at work ... not in brum though. If something gets going (like a website maybe) i can let them know red n black star

the button's picture
the button
Apr 5 2006 14:42

Some workers at the Argos (or was it Index?) in Hull tried organising a few years back. They did a leaflet for Argos (or was it Index?) customers about what a set of bastards Argos (or was it Index) are, and got some volunteers through the local Trades Council to hand them out outside. They also tried to involve customers in bits of direct action to disrupt the running of the place, but you'd need to be pretty solid yourselves to try that one.

Sorry I can't remember if it was Argos or Index, but it was over 10 years ago, and my memory isn't what it was.[/pipe & slippers]

WeTheYouth
Apr 21 2006 11:44

just an update on whats been happening lately.

Held a small meting only 4 of us didnt get much decided, been off work a bit but should be organising another meeting after mayday.

Will get round to putting everything up on to pdf's ive just moved back to me folks place so everything is a bit chaotic at the moment.