Selfed - a bit of online mutual aid

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 4 2006 14:27
Selfed - a bit of online mutual aid

hey guys

I have some questions/suggestions about your selfed pamphlets.

Now, I haven't been able to read them all, but the ones I have have been very good, and everyone basically says they're great.

However, I think their current format is not getting them out as widely as possible, or using them to their full potential, which is a shame, not least for the people who obviously dedicated so much time to writing them.

So, a question - do you have them in a non-PDF electronic format, like Word/RTF or something? if so, i'd advise putting them up in HTML format as well. Also would we at libcom be able to get hold of them like this? we could put them in full in the library (could we do this as PDF anyway?) and i would love to chop them up and slot bits into our history section, with links and credits to the full text +selfed of course. This would really help fill out our history section, and should get a lot more people seeing that stuff...

let me know what you think!

best,

J

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
May 4 2006 15:14

I think there was a thought about publishing them, once theyve been expanded a bit more.

MalFunction
May 4 2006 16:04

re converting .pdf files.

one option is to load them into an OCR program such as Abbey finereader and scan them, check them and save in the prefered format.

note you'll need to check for errors and make sure the prog doesn't try and read the pix.

you may lose a bit of the formatting but otherwise it should be OK. (ie a word file should end up looking like the original. operative word being "should".)

of course if you just want selected portions of the text, OCR'ing them would be very easy

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 4 2006 16:11

yeah i know it can be done, it's just a bit of a bugger to do. I figured they must exist in a more useful format from before they were turned into PDFs anyway...

Steve
May 4 2006 19:49

I was the person who did the final editing on the last version. I've searched through my computer and haven't got the word files. I've got a feeling I lost them when my old computer gave up the ghost. I'll check and see if they still have them on the old DA computer in Sheffield.

MalFunction
May 5 2006 10:50

well if you want any particular items transfered from .pdf give me a shout.

(don't mind doing a few but can't do whole issues of DA!)