SF, and the IWA

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 5 2006 12:59
SF, and the IWA

I just wanted to suggest that SF make a bigger deal out of its links to the IWA. I mean there's alwys loads of stuff going on with different IWA groups but no one here hears of it... I mean a lot of people even amongst lefties and anarchists has never even heard of the IWA - it's a strength that SF has that puts it ahead of pretty much any other anarchist group here, and a lot of trot groups as well.

Would there be a way of getting more information from IWA sections out? Or is it a question of you just haven't got time to do stuff like post IWA news to things like libcom?

WeTheYouth
Apr 5 2006 13:10

Hows about dedicating have a page of catalyst to news from IWA sections??

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Apr 5 2006 13:34

The international secretary puts some stuff out on the internal lists from the IWA correspondence he gets, dunno how he'd feel about extending that to public newswires though.

WeTheYouth
Apr 5 2006 13:37
Saii wrote:
The international secretary puts some stuff out on the internal lists from the IWA correspondence he gets, dunno how he'd feel about extending that to public newswires though.

Ill email them and ask.

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Apr 16 2006 16:58

Sorry to moan... but i really think the IWA should have a newswire which gathers news from its various sections/local groups which can then be used as a news feed on all its member's sites.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Apr 16 2006 17:00

Most of it'd have to be translated first mind, specially if you're talking about putting it on the libcom newswire.

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Apr 16 2006 17:04

Yeah i would have to be... but thats the benefit of the internet, as shown by our blog - once u have the intitial group of people togther translations can be done super fast.

Ainfos/anarkismo as well.

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Apr 16 2006 17:11

aye sure, but you have to remember, IWA still operates mostly in 1970's and international communication is still done in ***gasp*** snailmail letters! grin

bless...

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Apr 16 2006 17:40

Yeah i know... just had to get it off my chest... smile

knightrose
Apr 16 2006 18:18

which clearly shows the superiority of the IFA which uses emails all the time. Hence the very up to date articles on our news page. Come on comrades - get into modernity! www.iaf-ifa.org

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Apr 16 2006 18:30

Oooh i like the concept behind that website. Not pulled off perfectly but the idea is good!

knightrose
Apr 16 2006 20:09

I'd gladly accept suggestions. It's hard trying to cope with a multilanguage site but not separate it into completely different entities.

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Apr 16 2006 20:19

do you do the site? Its just asthetic stuff bascily... if its you i will PM you my thoughts... smile

martinh
Apr 16 2006 23:10
JDMF wrote:
aye sure, but you have to remember, IWA still operates mostly in 1970's and international communication is still done in ***gasp*** snailmail letters! grin

bless...

There may well be a proposal forthcoming about this in the next few days - watch your internal list!

regards

martin

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Apr 16 2006 23:15

The IWA offices spring to life...

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Apr 17 2006 09:57

Ah, I thought I recognised them two blokes from the IWA secretariat wink

OliverTwister's picture
OliverTwister
Apr 24 2006 16:41

Don't say such things about Norway!

Then again, as anarchy.no would tell us, norway is one of the most anarchistic countries on earth - maybe they meant anarcho-primitivist?

brno
Apr 25 2006 08:24

I just received the IWA circulars from the Int Sec for 2005.

From indexing the material, it appears that about 80% of the material is actually hard copies of electronic correspondence. So the IWA isn't really living in the dark ages that much.

About half of all the email is sent directly to the SF Int Sec email address. The other half is email sent just to the IWA Secretariat. Rather than forwarding the emails, the IWA Sec just hard prints it out and sends it by snail mail to all sections.

It wouldn't be too difficult for the IWA Sec to forward all these emails to all sections upon receipt and the other 20% of correspondence which is received by snail mail can be scanned, converted to pdf and sent via email for instant access to the SF.

martinh
Apr 25 2006 11:34
brno wrote:
It wouldn't be too difficult for the IWA Sec to forward all these emails to all sections upon receipt and the other 20% of correspondence which is received by snail mail can be scanned, converted to pdf and sent via email for instant access to the SF.

Hmm, I do believe someone is proposing something like this wink