Sticking it to the bosses

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
the button's picture
the button
May 5 2006 09:12
Sticking it to the bosses

I'm guessing that a lot of posters might not agree with me on this, but what the hell. wink

I think that sometimes there's a positive value to making your bosses' life a living hell. Low-level sabotage, the awesome power of the blank, and so on. Anything to make them look stupid, anything that draws your workmates closer together, even if it's together in agreement that the boss is a dickhead.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 5 2006 10:44

I don't think there's any point making their lives hell for your supervisor/manager or whatever, it can be useful having them reasonably onside when big things crop up that affect you all - restructuring, layoffs, pension cuts etc.

But taking the piss out of jobsworths + arsehole managers (or attitudes) is a big part of trying to create an anti-work culture of resistance at work. And pretty fun.

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
May 5 2006 10:55

Kinda depends on your workplace situation really doesnt it?

jef costello's picture
jef costello
May 5 2006 11:33

Mine tried to impose her authority on me but I copied existing staff and ignored her. I am trying to pass this on to new staff.

There are lots of ways to piss your boss off, for example learn a little about health and safety legislation (or make it up) you can refuse to do loads of stuff due to h&s

the button's picture
the button
May 5 2006 11:37

Oh yes.

The way I look at it is, stress is one of the major causes of absence from work/ill-health. And (according to some TUC study I can't be bothered to google) one of the major causes of stress is having little say in how your job is done.

So doing your bit to spread the stress bosswards can only be a good thing, and can also reduce the stress of your own job, as you take a little tiny bit of control over what you're doing.

Steve
May 5 2006 12:05

I agree, especially if you can get it going collectively. Where I work at the moment I don't have to worry although there is one member of the board who is a pain in the arse - ex Labour councillor so what can you expect? smile

BB
May 5 2006 13:03
the button wrote:
I'm guessing that a lot of posters might not agree with me on this, but what the hell. wink

I think that sometimes there's a positive value to making your bosses' life a living hell. Low-level sabotage, the awesome power of the blank, and so on. Anything to make them look stupid, anything that draws your workmates closer together, even if it's together in agreement that the boss is a dickhead.

Couldn't agree more!!! tongue

the button's picture
the button
May 5 2006 13:05

Yay!

To be honest, I was expecting a lot of "but management aren't the real enemy, they're a layer of the working class too"-type whining on this thread.

Put me down as pleasantly surprised. smile

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 5 2006 13:41
the button wrote:
Yay!

To be honest, I was expecting a lot of "but management aren't the real enemy, they're a layer of the working class too"-type whining on this thread.

Seriously what's the point of that sniping? If you disagreed with anything I was saying you should have just said on that thread instead of slagging it off as "whining". Just because someone's a proletarian doesn't mean you have to like them. Did I or anyone say you have to be nice to your managers and do everything they say cos they're workers too? Muggers, rapists and smack dealers are mostly working class too. Is saying that "whining"?

Maybe the heat's put me in a bad mood but you do seem to be quite snipey on occasion recently (cf "dour joyless shite" etc.)

the button's picture
the button
May 5 2006 14:16
John. wrote:
Maybe the heat's put me in a bad mood

So it would seem.

Edited: Can't be arsed. neutral

Edited again. Can be arsed, although not what I put originally. Seems like you don't mind a bit of sniping yourself here. Tell you what. You carry on sniping at folks who are planning actions that you don't agree with, and I'll carry on pointing out that there is a difference between having a problem with "activism," and being abstentionist. No wonder the ICC like it here.

JDMF's picture
JDMF
May 5 2006 14:46

hey, am i missing some all important fight?

Anyways, of course it is our fucking responsibility to bad mouth, undermine, cut out and ridicule the bosses at every workplace.

Wheres the argument?!?

the button's picture
the button
May 5 2006 14:54
JDMF wrote:
Wheres the argument?!?

I think it all started on this thread, with

I wrote:
After reading thread after thread of anti-activistism, and all that dour joyless shite we seem to favour nowadays, I've decided that maybe political assassinations & propaganda by deed aren't such a bad thing after all. smile

wink

which appears to have been taken as an all-out attack on a certain set of political orthodoxies. neutral

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 5 2006 15:09
the button wrote:
Seems like you don't mind a bit of sniping yourself here. Tell you what. You carry on sniping at folks who are planning actions that you don't agree with, and I'll carry on pointing out that there is a difference between having a problem with "activism," and being abstentionist.

Who's being abstentionist? Seriously, who?

I don't disagree with anything WTY is doing, I just resent being told what I should do politically, which he did by saying "we should throw all of our energies" into saving the Ryton plant. I don't think anarchists should be telling each other what to prioritise, especially telling people to neglect stuff that's going on in their lives and workplaces for their latest whim.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 5 2006 15:14
the button wrote:
which appears to have been taken as an all-out attack on a certain set of political orthodoxies. neutral

Not an all-out attack, just a snipe which you then didn't justify. Because it was a strawman, as is the "abstentionist" thing, as is this management-worker "whining."

Which i find a bit weird cos i thought we got on. it just seems like it's progressing beyond a bit of amicable "ribbing" from my pov.

WeTheYouth
May 5 2006 15:15
John. wrote:
the button wrote:
Seems like you don't mind a bit of sniping yourself here. Tell you what. You carry on sniping at folks who are planning actions that you don't agree with, and I'll carry on pointing out that there is a difference between having a problem with "activism," and being abstentionist.

Who's being abstentionist? Seriously, who?

I don't disagree with anything WTY is doing, I just resent being told what I should do politically, which he did by saying "we should throw all of our energies" into saving the Ryton plant. I don't think anarchists should be telling each other what to prioritise, especially telling people to neglect stuff that's going on in their lives and workplaces for their latest whim.

Im not telling what we should be our priority, as a movement our priority is building a mass workers movement, showing solidarity to workers under attack is part of building that movement.

And how is a little picket going to take up so much time and make you neglect your life and everything else you do in it?

the button's picture
the button
May 5 2006 15:26

Right I'm off home now. For John. :-

Can't agree on everything, but no hard feelings, eh? smile [/Tommy Ascaso]

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 10 2006 23:42
the button wrote:
Right I'm off home now. For John. :-

Can't agree on everything, but no hard feelings, eh? smile [/Tommy Ascaso]

Just seen this. Fairy nuff like, no hard feelings but I don't think we've disagreed on anything. The positions you've criticised are just strawmen none of us in the libcom.org group subscribe to. that's all i objected to.