Lifestylist politics: babies and bathwater?

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Sep 21 2011 12:23

Action now, I think the point is that can'tdocartwheels is just not making any sense. Of course things like prisoner support have nothing to do with lifestylism at all. "Lifestylism" is the idea that changing your personal lifestyle in terms of your consumption/clothing/residence habits is revolutionary.

commieprincess's picture
commieprincess
Sep 21 2011 16:13

As a disclaimer, I fucking hate lifestylism. And love swearing.

I wonder if what cartwheels was trying to get at (tho could be completely misreading) is something that was raised in our gender discussion. (Also sorry if this is a derailment back to the gender thing)
I know a few women at the meeting felt like critiques of 'anarcha-feminism' on libcom could be a bit sweeping - ie "it's just stupid vegans who think we should sing for peace in the woods". (Not a direct quote.)

Although there's a substantial number of anarcha-feminists who fit that description, I can totally see how someone who identifies as an an-fem, and isn't an idiot, might feel completely alienated and sold-out by their fellow anarchists. Does that make sense?

On the other hand I might just be talking out of my arse. It's only that I remember Cantdo mentioning babies and bathwater at the meeting in this context.

cantdocartwheels's picture
cantdocartwheels
Sep 22 2011 04:51
Steven. wrote:
Action now, I think the point is that can'tdocartwheels is just not making any sense. Of course things like prisoner support have nothing to do with lifestylism at all. "Lifestylism" is the idea that changing your personal lifestyle in terms of your consumption/clothing/residence habits is revolutionary.

What i'm trying to say is that a lot of people on libcom formed their politics in a rejection of the activistoid scene. Eg the long running and now somewhat rednundant arguement with the wombles etc
As a result, a lot of things of which you got a few bad examples of in said scene, especially a few years back, are rejected, ignored. or as commie prncess points out in the case of anarcha-feminism, subjected to rather sweeping arguments at times.